U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:47 AM

74,367 posts, read 34,513,740 times
I'm staying in my state but will move to a more rural setting here in Texas and buy a house with some land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 03:05 PM

10,049 posts, read 13,831,055 times
I intend to stay in my little dream house outside Boston and hope to take serious long vacations in the Mountain West, and will see then if any of the places I've thought of make sense. That assumes enough money to take such vacations, which I should have if I just keep slogging away the way I've been.
I am acutely aware that, if I do move, that I be aware of healthcare options, car dependence, and so on. I wouldn't like to get some older age deterioration or injury and be living somewhere impossible and have to move quickly.
I might consider simply staying where I am. Unlike most New Englanders, I can't stand the summers here- humid, sticky, and not even sunny half the time- grey and hazy and humid. I'd certainly consider weather- no humidity- in looking around. But then again, maybe I'd just prefer to find a way to spend significant time out West in younger retirement and be in my house later.
If I moved to an Erickson community, I'd consider the one outside Denver, after looking closely at the one nearest to me.
Not sure how adopting multiple pets fits into this. I certainly know people who stopped having dogs so they were freer in retirement.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:01 PM

7,851 posts, read 12,252,399 times
I'd like to know more about your move. I am soooo tired of COLD winters here in New York. I think that Portland, my initial choice, might be more of the same.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:37 PM

15,842 posts, read 13,682,561 times
Nancy -

Here's a bit of additional info on where we are moving and why:

A bit of background first - Been in Seattle since 1973, when I moved here from East Hampton (your general neck of the woods).

In choosing a retirement destination we wanted a place that was mild in the winter (where it doesn't average below freezing at night in January) but not too hot in the summer (with average highs in the 80's/low 90's rather than the 100's) and with fairly low humidity. We also wanted a sunny location with land at reasonable prices (thus effectively leaving out most of the choice destinations in So Cal). Also wanted to be near a small town, but within an hour of a large city.

I began looking at average temps in Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada. New Mexico, Utah and Northern Nevada and Nothern Arizona were out because the wintertime overnight lows typically got below freezing in the winter months. Southern Nevada is too hot in the summer. Southwest Arizona was out because, again, it's way too hot in the summer.

Fortunately, Southeast Arizona has an almost perfect climate at the mid-level elevations (3,000-5,000 feet) and we found a very nice peice of land about 40 minutes from Tucson at 4,200 feet with a climate such that our January lows are typically in the mid 30's or so and the January highs are close to 60. The June/July highs are also pretty reasonable. Unlike places like Phoenix (which is at 1,000 feet or so) that averages around 106 or in the hottest part of summer, we average in the low 90's and upper 80's in the summer. We also get a bit more rain (averaging 16-20 inches/year instead of the 7 or so that Phoenix gets or the 12 or so that Tucson gets) so we are in an area of grassland with some trees (though not a lot) rather than pure desert.

So, our land has great views, nice weather, easy access to I-10 (4 minutes), is 10 minutes to Benson (a basic town of 5,000 or so), and 40 minutes to either Sierra Vista (40,000+) or Tucson (1 million). We very pleased with our choice and are looking forward to the day we can actually moved down there and away from the (admittedly gorgeous) cool damp Pacific Northwest. I'm of the opinion that SE Arizona has pretty much the best (or nearly so - So Cal has the best) climate in the continental US.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 04-05-2008 at 05:56 PM..

Old 04-05-2008, 05:56 PM

1,797 posts, read 5,094,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Nancy -
So, our land has great views, nice weather, easy access to I-10 (4 minutes), is 10 minutes to Benson (a basic town of 5,000 or so), and 40 minutes to either Sierra Vista (40,000+) or Tucson (1 million). We very pleased with our choice and are looking forward to the day we can actually moved down there and away from the (admittedly gorgeous) cool damp Pacific Northwest. I'm of the opinion that SE Arizona has pretty much the best (or nearly so - So Cal has the best) climate in the continental US.
Ken
That sounds like it's near Dragoon?? Not far from the Chiracahua Mountains. Main issue in that area is a good water source. Lots of land for sale out by Pierce-Sunsites, but water is never a sure thing till somebody has the well put in. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:07 PM

15,842 posts, read 13,682,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
That sounds like it's near Dragoon?? Not far from the Chiracahua Mountains. Main issue in that area is a good water source. Lots of land for sale out by Pierce-Sunsites, but water is never a sure thing till somebody has the well put in. Good luck.
Yeah, we looked at Pierce-Sunsites actually, but ended up buying some property at J-6 Ranchettes - just west of Benson. We do have a good supply of water - it's down a bit at 350+ feet - but it's there and the source of our water is the Whetstones (which produce the area's rainfall). Since the source of our aquifer is pretty close by (the Whetstones are just a few miles to the south of our land) we should be OK water-wise. There was study just released what verified our 100 year water supply.

Ken

Old 04-06-2008, 12:01 PM

10,049 posts, read 13,831,055 times
I have a friend leaving Portland (who is from the LA area) who is ready to pull her hair out after some 20 winters in chilly, cold, drizzly months and months. She just can't stand it. True, the actual temperatures aren't the freezing/icy/snowing temps of true North, but the grey raw months are quite long. I think she's chosen Raleigh, NC, to move to sooner, not later. Oh, and she also *likes* humidity 'shudder.' Takes all kinds.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:31 PM

4,027 posts, read 12,952,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have a friend leaving Portland (who is from the LA area) who is ready to pull her hair out after some 20 winters in chilly, cold, drizzly months and months. She just can't stand it. True, the actual temperatures aren't the freezing/icy/snowing temps of true North, but the grey raw months are quite long. I think she's chosen Raleigh, NC, to move to sooner, not later. Oh, and she also *likes* humidity 'shudder.' Takes all kinds.
To each their own. I am in the Portland area and very pleased after years in Texas. I find the weather just wonderful with a cool winter, moderate spring and fall, and a delightful summer. After tolerating years of unrelenting sun with glaring cloudless skies in Texas I find the varying skies here just beautiful. I would never go back to the southwest.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:37 AM

1,315 posts, read 4,503,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Not sure how adopting multiple pets fits into this. I certainly know people who stopped having dogs so they were freer in retirement.
We currently have three dogs, 7, 15 and 16, and two cats, 24 and 4. We also foster dogs for a rescue organization. When the inevitable comes and the older dogs and cat die, we won't get other dogs, but will continue to foster. That way we can arrange vacations and time away in between fostering assignments while still enjoying the company of many dogs when we are at home.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:28 PM

13,450 posts, read 15,879,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Just wondering how many of us moved or are considering a move as a result of retiring.

Where are you planning to go... and why did you make that choice? If you have moved, are you glad that you did?

Did you move just down the street? Or to a nearby city? Back to your childhood home? Or maybe to something completely new... a different state or country?

And I'm especially curious if you visited a place before moving there. I know that's the standard advice, but is it realistic? And... how many places did you choose to visit before picking a new home?
Made a significant move when retiring.

Moved from Columbus, Ohio, where we lived for nearly 15 years, to Sacramento, California. We made the move because we have an adult daughter who is significantly mentally handicapped. We had to find a place that had good day programs for her, rather than letting her vegetate in a warehouse type environment.

As far as visiting goes, we had a bit of a different challenge, which was identifying potentially valuable programs via the internet and subsequent phone calls, and then checking out the places in person. Initially, we settled on Minneapolis, MN as our best area, in Dakota County which had an exceptional program. However, just before we were going to start to go through the registration process (you need to sign a construction contract to have her placed on waiting list) they had a substantial funding cut, so their program was being modified in a way that would make it less desirable.

We went back to our list and took a look at the remaining strong programs, specifically Providence, Rhode Island, Burlington, VT, Sacramento, CA and Poughkeepsie, NY. Ultimately, we liked the Sacramento program and initiated actions to move here.

Been here about a year and a half now. Program is great, obviously cost of living is a bit of an adjustment.

No regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement