U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:28 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,977,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

...why did you make that choice?
Our move from California to Washington had nothing to do with property values, or taxes, or living costs.

We don't worry about that stuff because know how to live on whatever our resources are.

We moved because the Pacific Northwest is our most favorite place on the entire continent and we have always wanted to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 08:38 PM

1,284 posts, read 4,083,634 times
Quote:
Just wondering how many of us moved or are considering a move as a result of retiring.

Where are you planning to go... and why did you make that choice? If you have moved, are you glad that you did?

My wife and I will be moving from California to Tennessee when we retire in 6 years. We want to get out of the "rat race." We want a slower paced lifestyle. We want to retire in an area where we can live much more comfortably on our retirement income.

And I'm especially curious if you visited a place before moving there. I know that's the standard advice, but is it realistic?
Yes, we have visited Tennessee several times. I think it would be foolish to move to a state without first visiting (more than once).

Old 04-13-2008, 04:20 PM

181 posts, read 426,302 times
Quote:
Just wondering how many of us moved or are considering a move as a result of retiring.

Where are you planning to go... and why did you make that choice? ...

And I'm especially curious if you visited a place before moving there. I know that's the standard advice, but is it realistic? And... how many places did you choose to visit before picking a new home?
I'm planning on moving. I've discovered, several years after moving to Virginia, that I have SAD. I had always lived in very sunny climates before, so I didn't even know I had it. In addition to not wanting to break my hip on the icy winter sidewalks, I now know that I need more sunshine year round than there is here.

As I have no close family and my closest friends are scattered, I'll be moving to someplace totally new. Haven't decided where yet. I'll visit as many places as it takes until I find the place that feels right. Haven't decided whether it will be in the US or elsewhere, but I can always live the expat life for a few years and come back.

Although I have moved several times in my life to places that I didn't visit first, I wouldn't do that again.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 AM

13,323 posts, read 25,574,131 times
Can't beat the Southwest for sun, be it Colorado, Utah, Arizona, or New Mexico.
A friend of mine with SAD is leaving Portland, OR, for Raleigh, NC. She can't stand the cold. I don't know how much more sun Raleigh has, but it's got to be more than Portland.
Another friend with SAD lives in the Colorado mountains (is broke and owns a trailer there). The sun goes down behind the mountains by 1p in the winter (Ouray County) and he is a wreck all winter.
Good luck! It's tough to move without a specific place/function/reason. I've done it, and I might do it in retirement, and I'll be in the same boat as you. It's tough, but of course it can be done.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:52 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
I'm planning on moving. I've discovered, several years after moving to Virginia, that I have SAD. I had always lived in very sunny climates before, so I didn't even know I had it. In addition to not wanting to break my hip on the icy winter sidewalks, I now know that I need more sunshine year round than there is here.

I have SADD , too. I have always lived in cold places such as Long Island and Wisconsin. I am sooo looking forward to living where there is sun and warmth. I can not wait.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-15-2008, 09:02 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,640,161 times
Quote:

Where are you planning to go... and why did you make that choice? If you have moved, are you glad that you did?

Did you move just down the street? Or to a nearby city? Back to your childhood home? Or maybe to something completely new... a different state or country?

And I'm especially curious if you visited a place before moving there. I know that's the standard advice, but is it realistic? And... how many places did you choose to visit before picking a new home?
I just recently retired after 20 years NYC law enforcement living in NY.I moved to PA, visited that place and many others before I made the choice.The reason I chose PA, Is...Only 2 hour commute to NY,My pension goes alot further there,better quality of life,pension is only taxed federal there,cost of living,very friendly people,very happy with the move,have made friends and very good neighbors.I look at it this way you can't be affraid to take chances in life,It is too short. When you retire you must have a plan.It is realistic to visit a place if you consider moving there,than you could find out for yourself if you would like it.This forum is a great way to find out info on certain states and areas,thats what made me come to it.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:31 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,394,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
To each their own. I am in the Portland area and very pleased after years in Texas. I find the weather just wonderful with a cool winter, moderate spring and fall, and a delightful summer. After tolerating years of unrelenting sun with glaring cloudless skies in Texas I find the varying skies here just beautiful. I would never go back to the southwest.
I could have written this reply myself. We are going up to Oregon in two weeks to begin shopping for a town in which to retire. Like you, we have lived in Texas (Houston) for decades and have had enough of those "glaring cloudless skies' and 'unrelenting sun." Our other issue (at least mine) is the miserable traffic in this horribly congested city with inadequate roads and highways. We have been investigating a possible retirement location for years and thought we had found it in Raleigh, NC. After doing extensive research we began making trips there and loved the city and even had a realtor who began to show us around. But then last year's horrible drought and strict water rationing made us change our plans - and actually, the drought has been ongoing in that part of the country for years and we just didn't realize it. We shifted our focus to Oregon because we have made numerous trips there over the years to visit family - my parents lived there for about 8 years and my sister still lives up there. Also, after touting the area to my best friend, she went up to look and ended up moving up there last summer and just bought a house in Portland on Sunday.

I am well aware of the weather in the area we are looking at, which will be one of the smaller communities south of Portland. But given that water is such a big issue in my mind, I feel pretty confident that I won't be staying up nights worrying about that. We have been up there in the winter when it is gray and drizzly and cold and it doesn't stop anyone from going about their business and it won't stop us either. One of the nice things is that Portland has really good public transportation plus it has all the other amenities we require for retirement: a good airport, great restaurants, good shopping, medical care, cultural activities and so much more. The only downside is that the cost of living will be higher than we have now in Texas but it is a trade-off we are willing to make.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:40 AM

13,323 posts, read 25,574,131 times
I don't think SAD is related to cold, just the length of time and amount of light you get. Of course, some people just plain don't like the cold weather, and feel miserable even if it's sunny and cold.
I have a similar reaction to humidity. I become soggy, depressed, miserable, sun or no sun.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,625 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
...The only downside is that the cost of living will be higher than we have now in Texas but it is a trade-off we are willing to make.
excluding the 9% income tax...
Maybe not... houses can be had 'on-the-cheap' with diligent shopping...I just spent a few weeks in TX and thought prices (food (groceries), lodging, clothes) were very high. In the PNW moderate climate you can 'winter' garden some items in a greenhouse and many outside. You can get quite a lot of solar utilization even in the winter. Power is pretty cheap and you can make your fuel (Bio-d) from the grease of Mexican restaurant's south of Portland. I like my 52 mpg cars that have 25 gal tanks, very little need for Dino diesel. I think we (USA) are gonna feel some serious cost of living squeeze.

I have friends in Aurora, Canby, Brooks, Newburg, Wilsonville, Mollala, OR City (I like them in that order, but would consider Mt Angel and McMinnville pretty close to the top of list). And there are lots of nice farming towns in the valley. Do be careful when and what you buy... some areas are prone to fog in winter, and one friend from Colorado bought a nice place near Corvallis, only to find it surrounded by standing water all winter, and big problems with septic and well. And my frequent advice... don't buy a home in the trees, as pleasant as they seem, it is a PNW curse of maint (gutters, lawn, limbs, roof) and makes moss / mold a problem in the house. Get a clear view to south and be happy and healthy.

good luck.

Join Master Gardener's in the fall for a good local 'growing' education and way to meet folks

Old 04-18-2008, 11:58 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,534,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I have SADD , too. I have always lived in cold places such as Long Island and Wisconsin. I am sooo looking forward to living where there is sun and warmth. I can not wait.
I grew up in NYC and hated winters. Moved to Florida and after several years I missed the winter..but only from Thanksgiving through Christmas (go figure). Then I moved to Texas and it was perfect for me. Winters here last from Nov/Dec through Feb/Mar with a typical 1-2 day ice storm. I don't mind the summers at all and prefer heat to cold.

For me..year round summer, like in Florida wasn't my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or