U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 12:55 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,159,750 times

Advertisements

Weekends still mean a lot to us in retirement for several reasons:

1. Many activities or events which we want to participate (birding field trips, performances, concerts etc.) tend to take place on weekends.

2. Many people whom we share activities or enjoy their companies (club members, friends or relatives) are still working so weekends are the only time that we get to see them or do things together with them.

3. We still mostly maintain the same lifelong work/rest schedule in retirement. Whenever I work on a project, I get very involved. It's good to have weekends as targets to either work really hard to complete a phase or to stop at certain point before the weekend.

4. We still enjoy the ideas that weekends are special days when big or elaborate meals are cooked/served. We also try to maintain our habit of consuming alcohol mostly on weekends and/or on special days or occasions. The fact we socialize with friends/relatives mostly on weekends works very well with our meals/drinks pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 01:23 PM

13,905 posts, read 25,359,984 times
I tend to stay home on weekends to avoid the hordes that descend on Las Vegas. Maybe quick local outings but that's it! Most of my shopping is done during the week. I have options, I can go any time. My weekends are usually reading, writing, spending time with my dogs, and maybe cooking!

Old 10-21-2018, 01:53 PM

3,507 posts, read 1,551,711 times
I only know it's the weekend because there are maybe a dozen or so on the beach. Otherwise, there's nobody. Shopping isn't much different; no way to really tell, down here.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:53 PM

342 posts, read 142,383 times
Thanks for the replies. Lots of different opinions about weekends.

I realized last week I was looking forward to the weekend because no doctors appt's scheduled then lol, after going to one an hour away (2 hrs RT). Living in a small town means having to travel for routine annual doctor appts. We have never been a go-out-Saturday-night couple because we usually worked all day most Saturdays.

Do golf courses give Mon-Thurs discounts? Wouldn't work in Florida due to high number of retirees but would make sense elsewhere. In FL they give movie matinee discounts to seniors (and we still don't go).

Old 10-21-2018, 03:30 PM

620 posts, read 254,817 times
Like many others have posted, I avoid going out on the weekends at all, as every place is super crowded then. I do errands/shopping during the weekdays, when it's still crowded, but not as bad. I still do like weekends, though. Especially Sunday, as that is my get Starbucks/read the Times/watch football (go Pats!) day. And strangely, I still do lots of housework and laundry on the weekend....holdover from my working days, I guess.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:56 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,462,764 times
I never go out shopping.....not for anything. Never liked shopping ever. I have no doctor appointments.

As a retired person, I like week days better than weekends. But that may be overstating it, as there isn't a big distinction between week days and weekends.

I have my groceries delivered. Clothes purchased online. Household items purchased online at Walmart.com or other websites. I don't have errands.

Every day is great when one doesn't need to work for a living!

Old 10-21-2018, 04:27 PM

244 posts, read 120,695 times
Be careful, though, that you don't forget what day of the week it is. That is apparently one of the questions they use to determine if you are confused.

DH couldn't get it right. I wanted to say, "But he's retired. Every day is the same to him!"

Old 10-21-2018, 04:27 PM

8,291 posts, read 11,142,995 times
Yes!

Old 10-21-2018, 04:31 PM

1,732 posts, read 764,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post

You have all week to do anything you want, why is the weekend special?
It isn't. Not to me. I do a lot during the week when stores and entertainment places aren't crowded.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 794,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Every retirement day is Saturday. Half the time, I lose track of what day it is. ... Of course, you never get a day off!
The older I get, the more retired people I know. Just yesterday I was fishing with a retired buddy. I canít remember the conversation, but I told him he thinks everyday is Saturday. He agreed. I couldnít help but to call him a jackass.😂
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or