U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 06:49 PM

3,690 posts, read 1,868,735 times

Advertisements

Everyday is a weekend for me. Hubs and I tend to stay home on the weekends, save a trip to Lowes or to get a burger.

I do NOT shop on the weekend, get dry cleaning, car washed, etc. Too many working folks out there, traffic is horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 11:12 PM

6,804 posts, read 3,862,667 times
If I'm going to see my kids & grands, it will most likely be on the weekend. Also events in the community are usually on weekends.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:26 AM

9,809 posts, read 5,482,793 times
Good question.

When I get to that point, it will probably be because that is when the festivals, dance shows, and the like are. It might be the free time when others are available, such as a lover on what is their weekend.

It might be for a feeling of returning to the time before. Let me explain that one. I saw a meme Sunday night of "Oh no! Tomorrow is Monday....wait, I'm retired! I don't care!" or something like that. Right now, still working, I don't know what I would do retired (suppose that is something to figure out before one does).

I need things that give me structure in my life, so time doesn't slip by under the saying of "Oh, I will do that tomorrow.". That's how I was when I was working on thesis in that I still took classes to not fall into that state.

Maybe looking forward to the weekend puts things into a framework that is desired. Alternately....it just may be when the good TV shows are on.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:23 AM

17,398 posts, read 21,234,308 times
Being retired, I so lose track of days, I decided to order the newspaper for Saturday/Sunday, so at least I'll know when Saturday and Sunday arrives. Weekends have never been highlights to me. When I lived in Las Vegas I worked Friday's thru Monday's for 17 years, and there's a cost savings to make your weekdays weekend days, as the air fare was far cheaper midweek, and the hotels and motels. I'd sometimes would fly down to L.A. for just one day or 2 days, $39 one way, and if I were to have done that on weekends, the price would have been forbidden to my budget.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:10 AM

10,287 posts, read 4,865,859 times
I only work two days a week and weekends for me mean that the stores will be crowded so I avoid them as much as possible then. Other than that weekends mean very little to me anymore.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:04 AM

3,962 posts, read 2,033,495 times
Weekends mean I actually get to see a neighbor or two out and about. I thought my old neighborhood was quiet, but this new one is a morgue in comparison.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 AM

1,362 posts, read 766,848 times
A lot of the interesting things to do around here are scheduled around the extended weekend Thursday thru Sunday. This past weekend was the Harbor Cruise with a BBQ Buffet and a Blues Band on board. Weekend before was the Balloonfest out at the Polo Grounds. Vince Gill has a concert in early November and Harry Connick Jr and Wynton Marsalis Lincoln Center Jazz Band each have shows in December. There's a host of holiday activities are on tap -- starting with the Parade on the first Sunday.

Whether the events fall during the week or during the extended weekend, we would partake if interested. The only real significance of the weekend is......garbage cans to the curb on Sunday night. HA !!

Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 AM

785 posts, read 893,614 times
Weekends mean the kids are home from school and the wife is home from work. Although, sometimes I can't wait for Mondays when it is just me and the housekeeper!

Old 10-22-2018, 08:10 AM

2,448 posts, read 1,063,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Weekends mean the kids are home from school and the wife is home from work. Although, sometimes I can't wait for Mondays when it is just me and the housekeeper!

you dog you.....;-)

Old 10-22-2018, 09:44 AM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,855,355 times
I do, however, LOVE the quiet in the neighborhood after commute time is over on weekdays. It's so peaceful.

Weekends are louder here with mowers, or kids playing soccer/football at the school nearby - or the guy behind us who has a television ON HIS DECK and blasts college football games on it while he does his yardwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or