U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 11:11 AM

488 posts, read 948,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Weekends mean nothing to me since I retired. The only way I even notice it's the weekend is because the neighbors are home, shooting their guns. It's quiet during the week when the neighbors are at work, so weekdays are what I look forward to these days, not the weekend.
When I retire, I want to come to your neighbor's house and shoot guns with them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 02:13 PM

5,339 posts, read 7,206,910 times
I hike with friends who are retired - I find for them the weekend is when they avoid going certain places because of crowding since they can now do it during the week.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:48 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,851,972 times
I so look forward to traveling NOT during major holidays. That's how I feel about weekends too.

You can't get anywhere in a car without it being a parking lot during major holidays here in the state. And the airport is a mess as well.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:18 PM

7,176 posts, read 6,464,810 times
So glad I can go jeeping and fishing on weekdays now,most of the time I have the mountains to myself.No crowds of noisy atv's

Old 10-22-2018, 07:01 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
It means less. Less because the streets are full of drivers who aren't working. The stores are as well, and so are the restaurants and bars. I prefer partying during the week.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:09 PM
EA

6,178 posts, read 5,200,969 times
I'm not retired but I hate having weekends off. I work for myself so I take Mon and Tuesday off usually.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:30 PM

1,566 posts, read 577,574 times
Weekends still are different for us.

We have grown children, and the weekend is the only time we see our adult daughter, because she works full time and is unavailable during the week; the other one lives out of state.

The other thing special about weekends is Sunday, because that is church day for us, and we are with our church family.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:04 AM

9,800 posts, read 5,474,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Weekends mean the kids are home from school and the wife is home from work. Although, sometimes I can't wait for Mondays when it is just me and the housekeeper!

Well, long ago on Clark AFB in the Philippines, the school system was split into two 5 hour sessions. Half the kids went to school 7-12 and the other half 12-5. The only time we all got a chance to play together was on the weekends. We had intense hide and go seek episodes late into the dark on Saturday night.

When summer vacation rolled around, these intense Saturday meetings disappeared. Why? Because they weren't necessary since we could get together during the rest of the week.

It's great if one has the time during the week but you know the old saying ...... "It's no fun playing alone.".

Old 10-23-2018, 11:35 PM

605 posts, read 188,327 times
Yes weekends still mean something
Retired here in my mind but still working one shift ea. week.

Lots of socialization, recreational fun, etc... & some volunteering fits in within the schedule below

Monday- Cycling in the Evening
Tuesday- Evening Bible Study then cycling
Wednesday Afternoon to Thurs Afternoon- working
Thursday after work= grocery shopping, haircuts, doctors, dentists, home depot shopping.
Friday-Eating with friends o(our home, theirs our eating out)
Saturday- Cycling at night On Sat or Sun
Sunday -Church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or