U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 01:17 PM

12,278 posts, read 12,520,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
It has been 3 years since retirement.I had some big dreams. Much has happened. We moved to Pueblo and bought a house for ourselves and 3 rentals, with the plan of eventually being a part of an Autistic community, Theywere all extreme fixer-uppers that we made functional and beautiful. I had been making and selling jewelry, and was planning to continue. And I knew I wanted chickens.

Some pretty bad stuff happened. We found out that in the last few years of the business, family members had taken advantage of Bobbys' increased confussion, and because of that, we owed the IRS a ton of money.We had to sell all but one home to pay them. Bobby was diagnosed with Alzheimers [ why he was so confused] but he was/is still pretty happy, and being in the earlier stages at this point, he is doing okay] Somewhere in there we were robbed in our home at gunpoint. We later found out that the people who did this had been intending to kill us and bury our bodies in the crawl space.[they had been gang member squatters who had lived in the place for 2 years before HUD sold us the place and they wanted it back]

We tried to get over the robbery, but my youngest son could not. So we sold our remaining home and found this place in the mountains. Now we have even more chickens and goats as well. Bobby ad youngest son are both more relaxed here. I am too. We live in a little spot in paradise.

Though the house originally had no septic system or plumbing, or any upgrades since it had been built 80 years ago, we now have a septic and plumbing, and every day we do just one little thing to fix it up every day. Right now, thouugh still a 'work in progress", this is without a doubt the most wonderful place I have ever lived. And if the bad stuff hadn't happened, we would still be tryig to put together a community for/by Autistic people in crime ridden Pueblo.

We already have a small Autistic community here, only 5 of us, plus Bobby. Most 'experts" say that Autistic people cannot cooperate and build things together. Well, we are already proving them wrong. Right now, we alternately call my home the 'Host House," and the 'Incubator". Our non-profit [no we are not or ever want to be paid. this is our passion] Recently AutHaven purchased a small parcel right next to our land. No buildings yet, but we do have a PICNIC TABLE on it, plus 2 new BEEHIVES [no bees yet, next spring]

I no longer make jewelry except for personal use and some "Autistic" jewelry to raise money for AutHaven. My jewelry involved semi-precious stones and most jewelry now is either expensive with actual precious stones, or fashion, which is inexpensive and super lightweight. Instead, I am making my own soap and selling it. Baking and selling baked goods. It' all good.

At this point, I love retirement even more than I thought Iwould. I know that with both Bobby and I having serious health issues, things will likely eventually get a lot more difficult. But, when that happens, I will also know that I am even closer to the BIGGEST ADVENTURE OF THEM ALL!
If the house is owned by the nonprofit, you are being paid. Owners or board members of a nonprofit are not allowed to gain any benefit from the nonprofit ownership. You can still hire a paid administrator, but they are only an employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 02:38 PM

635 posts, read 405,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If the house is owned by the nonprofit, you are being paid. Owners or board members of a nonprofit are not allowed to gain any benefit from the nonprofit ownership. You can still hire a paid administrator, but they are only an employee.
The house is owned, free and clear, by me. We have retreats here, make plans here, let people stay here, and feed them from our own income. We charge them NOTHING. [ we count that towards our tithe, though of course we do not declare it on our taxes] The land, next door to us, is owned by the non-profit, AutHaven.

I am not sure what I wrote that could have possibly made you think otherwise.

We call my house, the "Host house" because no one has any money to rent a room or anything and we can hardly have people come from out of state [no, we do not pay their airfare either, for most of them ARC pays for them]and do all of their work, eating, and sleeping on a 6 foot long picnic table on raw land. We call my house the "host house" because, I, Vicky, am hosting the group. It is the incubator because we are growing the dream here.

Last edited by vicky3vicky; 10-22-2018 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 07:14 PM

4,446 posts, read 2,619,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
It has been 3 years since retirement.I had some big dreams.
>snip<

Somewhere in there we were robbed in our home at gunpoint. We later found out that the people who did this had been intending to kill us and bury our bodies in the crawl space.[they had been gang member squatters who had lived in the place for 2 years before HUD sold us the place and they wanted it back]

We tried to get over the robbery, but my youngest son could not. So we sold our remaining home and found this place in the mountains. Now we have even more chickens and goats as well. Bobby ad youngest son are both more relaxed here. I am too. We live in a little spot in paradise.
>snip<

!
I know how scary that is.

I moved to Florida fir a short time, made short by being "Home Invaded" as they call it.

The thugs broke in my open (but lock latched) screen door , as i got up to see what the heck was going on, they beaned me over the head with something ( i saw stars), and one of them shoved me to the floor in a fetal type position is how i landed and stabbed a big hunting style knife to my throat. I was sure by the voice he was a former trashy neighbor.
He held me down being on top of me and threatened to kill me if i looked at them or even moved.
They wanted my ( expensive ) component stereo system ( thus was 1990), all my CD s, tv and then the "new" cordoess phone syatem i had.

At one point the one holding me down looked up and ordered one to grab any phones in the bedroom, in doing so the knife nearly cut me, and would have if it had not been for me slightly raising my head so it didnt. I dont think he actually would have killed me, i think they were bent on assets i had. But one never knows and doesnt take a chance in such a situation.

They didnt realize the cordless phones had a wired base unit apparently as they took the cordless ones and charging base units but only ripped the actual wired base unit out of the wall to the floor. That allowed me to help call the police.

They broke my glasses too. I had to wear my prescription sunglasses as i waited 2 days for the " one hour glasses" package to replace them

I moved back north after that.

I no longer felt welcome living there.

I dont like what Florida has become, that only soured my taste for it.

Home invasions are scary and you no longer feel safe in your home.

I think your son was right to encourage you to sell and move. They might have come back again and again.

Im glad you are otherwise happy, though. And that your home invasions did not make you leave the area you love.

We will retire to the south, just NOT Florida. It has become dirty, full of low lifes, and in some cases, dangerous.

I own a duplex there, but will sell when we do move south and buy rentals where we land instead. The reasin i will never live in it is it was at the edge of town, surrounded by peaceful scenery. Then, because of acreage there they built public housing! You can imagine what happened to the neighborhood, sad to say housing projects bring out the worst of people. It was near to where I was living when home invaded, but it was rented at the time or i would have lived in it then. So i know the neighborhood is bad.

Sad one event can ruin ones perception of a once nice area.

Best of luck fixing your house, enjoying yourself and living well the more last of your days!!!

" dont worry, be happy..." ( a song from the 80s by Bobby Mcfarren?)

Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 PM

1,584 posts, read 584,993 times
Vicky3Vicki --

Oh my! You have had some experiences that were not very good. But I am glad you came through, and have now found a nice mountain home.

Sorry to hear your Hubby's diagnosis. The same thing happened to my hubby; he was diagnosed when age 64 and is 65 now.

Thank you for posting! I enjoy reading your posts too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement