Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 08:56 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Many people have no idea whatsoever how to dress for warmth in the winter of colder climates.

They arrive with just a leather jacket (no hood) which provides no (zero) warmth - no warm winter down-filled or heavy wool coat, no large wool scarf which wraps around and around, no warm hood, no warm hat, lightest of gloves or no gloves instead of wool gloves or insulated gloves, no boots let alone very warm winter boots with treads, no wool socks.

Living in Alaska, Michigan and No. Idaho I learned how to dress for the cold. Living here I can get through the entire winter with a hooded sweat shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 09:32 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Some years ago I decided I wanted to do something nice for a friend's birthday (in February). It was a particularly cold February, snow and ice every day. I was going to take her to a live show in Syracuse (I knew she enjoyed them).

When she came to my house so we could ride together, I was shocked to see what she was wearing. A short dress, a fake fur throw over her shoulders, and high heels. I was almost completely covered except for my face. Since it was so icy out, I dropped her right at the door and then looked for a parking spot. We went into the theater and about a half hour later she said she was very cold and wanted to leave.

This was not her first day in snow and ice, she had lived in central NY for almost as long as I had.

So we left before the show was over.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:57 AM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Having lived in Minnesota most of my life, I was well versed in dressing for the cold. I did keep my winter coat but doubt if I'll ever use it. I also kept some of my fleece lined leggings and I actually did wear some last winter. Not often but glad I had them. I did give most of my warmer clothing to my sister who still lives in Minnesota.

I never have understood people who don't dress appropriately for the weather. Although I have realized I do need to buy more clothing for the warmer days. It very seldom got hot in Minnesota.

It certainly feels nice to be in Arizona weather. I was nicely surprised the summer didn't bother me very often. Even if it had, I would still be content. Small price to pay for nice weather most of the year.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:25 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Evenings it's the beautiful sunset or just the majestic of the mountains.

I was so unhappy in Minnesota, especially during the winter and I feel so blessed. I have a nice apartment, wonderful weather, the beautiful mountains and a cat I love and adore.

I had to have an appointment at my clinic recently and they have a procedure where a person evaluates your daily health if you're elder. Never heard of it before, but whatever. I was figiting because my back was giving out and I mentioned that I had to leave soon because of that reason.

I explained about the car accident and the subsequent back injury. I then said I'd come to terms with it because, realistically I should not have survived. So, each day is a blessing.

And it is. So glad I moved to the sunshine and the mountains. Thank your Dee, who encouraged me to visit.

Sometimes I just feel so blessed.
I'm so happy for you! Finding the right place truly is a blessing. You'd shared valuable information with me a while back and I checked out the area but unfortunately for me, the insurance and medical resources I require aren't in that area. You were very helpful nevertheless.

Being content is priceless! Congrats!!

Old 10-26-2018, 01:54 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Meo, so glad to hear about your contentment in the West, and best of ya for asking for the oldest cat available! Although age five doesn't sound very old to me. It's such a joy when a timid animal becomes comfortable and safe.

All that sunshine doesn't hurt a bit, either.
Here in SW Colorado I am also appreciating great air and sun and shy dogs come home.
I read about your move with enthusiasm. You are such a good writer. Good visuals. I could picture what you were talking about. I think a lot of us made that trip with you. You sound very happy with your decision too.

I know five years isn't old for a cat but she was the oldest. I hated seeing her in that cage and the fact she'd been there for five months made me just want to get her out of there. There were a bunch of kittens and they were in a huge cage. I was tempted because they were all so cute but knew I had to get her out of that cage and so I closed my eyes to the cute kittens.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:56 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Congratulations! It's amazing what a little extra sun can do for ones life.

We made the decision to move to Reno/Sparks instead of Western Oregon because of the sunny days. Every day she marvels at the sunsets and bright fall colors. She is so happy and I am too.
Isn’t it amazing how sunshine lifts our spirits? We moved from NE Ohio to Georgia and the sun shines almost every day. A rainy day is almost a relief. We did not mind the cold and snow, but what we could not stand anymore were the months of gray skies in the winter.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:33 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have to admit, every time I read one of your posts I think to myself "why didn't I move west?"
I wasn't successful in my efforts to move to NC or VA. I really thought I should live near water.

But after the hurricanes this year, I'm awful glad I did not.

But at this stage in my life, a big move alone is not something I want to attempt. So I've decided to stay here and make the best of it. But I sure wish I had your sunshine. And with winter driving coming up soon, I'm not looking forward to that either.

I have been thinking about you while reading this thread. If Meo could do it, you could as well. It might be a bit late in the season to beat feet right now, but, you can do better than New York's high taxes and damn awful winter.

Living near water is highly over-rated IMHO.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have been thinking about you while reading this thread. If Meo could do it, you could as well. It might be a bit late in the season to beat feet right now, but, you can do better than New York's high taxes and damn awful winter.

Living near water is highly over-rated IMHO.
Thanks M3 Mitch. I appreciate your message.

A couple of things. I think Meo is at least ten years younger. And while I have no information about this, I think she may have a better income.

I'm low income living in low income senior apartment. Because of that I am not paying the taxes I think you are referring to. Yes, I pay sales tax. And I'm not buying much since I went bankrupt last year.

But you are so right about this weather. I know the gray skies and cold temps will get to me sooner or later. I had a problem with them last year.

Thanks again!

Old 10-26-2018, 04:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
I think that each year one grows older can make the physicality of moving more and more difficult.

The physicality of moving in one's early to mid to late 60's can be tremendously different than moving in one's 70's, whether 71 or 76.

I moved 11 days ago, and even with hiring packers to pack everything, and hiring movers to move everything - the physical tasks of preparation for the move and then the physical tasks of unpacking extensive number of boxes, and shifting and moving items between rooms is overwhelming.

It's grueling and very taxing physically. After 11 days, I still have only about 5 percent (or maybe 10 percent) unpacked.
And that's with having had paid packers and paid movers! With me doing all the unpacking.

It can require a lot of physical ability, strength, good health.

(everyone's move is different and some people do not have the quantity of belongings I own)

Not everyone has as many belongings as I do. But I moved from a small apartment to a house. So I wasn't moving a house full.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:33 PM

matisse12: Thank you for what you wrote.

You described it perfectly. I moved into this apartment in 2011 and I lost a good 4-6 weeks from normal life from all the work involved. Exhausted and very sore. Took a while to get my old self back.

I really can't imagine doing that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement