U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 05:48 AM

26,337 posts, read 24,499,352 times

Advertisements

We're no longer living in the dark ages....and handicapped people can drive and get along by themselves....there are so many people who have balance problems, people who are border line autistic...who can take care of themselves, and others who can take care of themselves perfectly fine, and a few apartments with handicapped accessible showers, a handle bar or two, a high toilet, is all people need....it's time to change mindset....we are a growing nation with growing needs...when your young you don't think about these things, but I believe it's time to raise awareness and change a few items in apartments...b/c they are in high demand.

There are people who enjoy apartment living...I always did...owning a house to me meant more work and more expense, and I was never fond of it....apartment living always allowed me more money to take nicer vacations, and never had to worry about the refrigerator, washing machine, heater, hot water heater, or any other large appliances that cost so much....plus taxes, plus house insurance, plus preventative maintenance, year round for these products, plus hiring people to mulch, to mow...it's never ending. No thank you....

I pay someone to come and power wash my place, to come and clean out my fireplace, and get it ready for winter...to come and clean out my hot water heater, to mulch, to mow...to paint, to re-stain the deck...I mean, please....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 03:40 PM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
To answer the original question posed by the OP: because a few inexpensive adaptive devices can make any bathroom accessible: 1. a transfer shower bench 2. a handheld shower sprayer 3. a raised toilet seat with arms or not. 4. Clamp on tub grab bar for stepping in 5. Grab bars installed into the studs in the tub area.

Some apartments will add these upon request. Many durable medical equipment companies will come out and assist with measurements and installation.

Most of these items can be purchased at Walmart, Meijer, Lowes, Home Depot, or similar as well and cheaper than DME companies.
Agree with all the above and was about to say it myself. We've used all of the above to modify for my mom and my MIL when needed. Easy Peasy. All, except the permanently installed grab bars, can be purchased fairly cheaply, and installed without damaging the property, and no need to notify the landlord. As far as the permanently installed bars, many LL would install at your request if you purchase it.

A transfer bench allows anyone to sit on the seat and swing your legs over the side of the tub, then slide across to the tub, stand or stay seated. Coupled with a hand held shower head, and/or a lower mounted bracket for the wand, gives you a nice, comfortably seated, or standing, shower.

If the world won't change for you, find a way to at least make it work for yourself.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:51 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
best transfer bench! Moen transfer bench - this particular model has best design

buy at walmart.com or amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-Adjustab...n+shower+bench

scroll down to middle of page to see best Moen transfer bench
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Moen-Tran...SABEgJQPPD_BwE

Last edited by matisse12; 10-27-2018 at 03:59 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 05:32 PM

240 posts, read 119,237 times
I am really short (5'2") and love the higher toilets that our plumbers put in when we replaced them. We didn't ask for higher toilets so I'm guessing that is what they consider "standard" these days. I did notice that one is higher than the other. We don't have a preference, though, for which one is better.

The advantage is that it is easier to get up. My aunt had one of those adapter toilet seats that made it higher, and they are incredibly difficult to clean. I can't imagine an older person taking it on and off regularly to clean.

Although this isn't really about renting and more about housing, I think single story is the most important thing as you age. If you live in an apartment, it needs to be first floor unless you still have incredible mobility. My husband is 75 with congestive heart failure and can barely make it up our three steps. I'm fairly agile at 64 (can walk fast and walk a fair distance), but my left hip twinges a little unless I simply put all the weight on my right.

We aren't moving until I retire next year, but we want to sell this house and move into a rental. I think about these issues a lot.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:21 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post

If you live in an apartment, it needs to be first floor unless you still have incredible mobility.
Many apartment buildings have elevators!

Old 10-28-2018, 10:36 AM

26,337 posts, read 24,499,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
best transfer bench! Moen transfer bench - this particular model has best design

buy at walmart.com or amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Moen-Adjustab...n+shower+bench

scroll down to middle of page to see best Moen transfer bench
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Moen-Tran...SABEgJQPPD_BwE
Thank you for this.,....most accidents at home do happen in the bathroom, safety IS a must....

Old 10-28-2018, 11:29 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Agree with all the above and was about to say it myself. We've used all of the above to modify for my mom and my MIL when needed. Easy Peasy. All, except the permanently installed grab bars, can be purchased fairly cheaply, and installed without damaging the property, and no need to notify the landlord. As far as the permanently installed bars, many LL would install at your request if you purchase it.

A transfer bench allows anyone to sit on the seat and swing your legs over the side of the tub, then slide across to the tub, stand or stay seated. Coupled with a hand held shower head, and/or a lower mounted bracket for the wand, gives you a nice, comfortably seated, or standing, shower.

If the world won't change for you, find a way to at least make it work for yourself.
Back again in Portland, there was a group that would supply and install bathroom grab bars free for senior citizens with landlord's permission. Mine agreed. I can't think why any LL wouldn't. In fact the nice people who installed mine told me none of them had ever refused.

It isn't difficult to DIY or not expensive to buy them and hire someone to do the installation. I agree that if things are not to your specifications, it's often pretty simple to find a way to get it done yourself.

As a lifelong renter in Chicago, Portland and some of their suburbs and now a Cleveland suburb I can say with the utmost certainty you don't normally step into the perfect apartment each time. If that is the case, it is often possible to negotiate with the landlord for what you might want within reason.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:50 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Back again in Portland, there was a group that would supply and install bathroom grab bars free for senior citizens with landlord's permission. Mine agreed. I can't think why any LL wouldn't. In fact the nice people who installed mine told me none of them had ever refused.

It isn't difficult to DIY or not expensive to buy them and hire someone to do the installation. I agree that if things are not to your specifications, it's often pretty simple to find a way to get it done yourself.

As a lifelong renter in Chicago, Portland and some of their suburbs and now a Cleveland suburb I can say with the utmost certainty you don't normally step into the perfect apartment each time. If that is the case, it is often possible to negotiate with the landlord for what you might want within reason.
I will say that those suction mount handles for the shower should not be used as a substitute for a real securely braced grab bar. They are fine just to momentarily steady yourself, but if you put any real weight on one of those suction ones with the clip that snaps it on, it will come off and you could really fall hard.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:28 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
While baths may be the ticket for some, they are not for me, hate them and haven't taken a bath, in many years....hate the idea of sitting in a hot bath of bacteria....yikes A disease doctor once gave me suggestions after my knee replacements about bacteria and things we use in the shower, like scrubby things, wash clothes etc.

The only time I take a bath is when I want to use my Epsom Salts. I take a quick shower first though because, like you, I don't want to sit in dirty water.

When I broke my hip last year I got one of those risers for my toilet because it hurt like crazy to try sitting on my low toilet. I liked it enough to keep using it for a while after I didn't need it anymore and then loaned it to a friend who broke her hip.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:33 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I will say that those suction mount handles for the shower should not be used as a substitute for a real securely braced grab bar. They are fine just to momentarily steady yourself, but if you put any real weight on one of those suction ones with the clip that snaps it on, it will come off and you could really fall hard.

I have one of those suction mount bars and you're right. They are good for balance. Mine is mostly used to hang a wash cloth and my shower poof on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or