Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 05:27 PM

705 posts, read 558,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
There are many older folks who want to downsize and get rid of the work that goes with their homes.
There are also older folks who do not want to go into an independent living home.

there are many older retired folks who would be so happy renting an apartment, however, there are a few things that apartments do not do and that is to consider mildly handicapped persons of which I'm rather surprised at.

Why not put stall showers in apartments and move up in the world, by getting rid of the older low toilets, and install the high rise toilets? They are not more expensive, for sure....

Our country wants to be so diverse and says it takes pride in doing so, well from time to time, accidents happen and a person needs to have a first floor apartment with a stall shower at least?

I'm wondering why more apartment complexes do not cater to older people? Not rest homes, but there are older folks who would prefer an apartment.
When my husband's mom retired she sold her home and moved into an Apt. She HATED it, it was too much noise for her so she bought a MH in a retirement park and was happy as a lark till she had to leave due to Alzheimer's.

My husband and I sold our home moved to a retirement community with MH's. It's like a regular neighborhood with nice yard etc.. Anyway we put a taller toilet in one bathroom and I avoid using that one, it's too tall for me. My husband put it in because of my back and knees. They do sell things you can use instead of installing a new toilet. You can get them with or without arms.
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/no...393727-product

I know you can't have this in an apt you rent but...
We have a shower in one bathroom and tub in the other. If I were to get in a regular tub I couldn't get out (back and knees) My husband and I are going to Lowe's and buy a walk in tub in the near future and pay for the install. That is MUCH cheaper than buying one at the walk in tub companies. I also don't want or need all the bells and whistles like lights and jets. I just want the tub.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/ARIEL-53-5-...ded/1000230411

I've found quite a few things that make my life easier like buying a grabber so I don't have to bend over to pick up something from the ground or floor, also found a long handled dustpan that I love.

I do agree that there should be more senior apt's with those options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 06:31 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,587,080 times
OP: You are assuming most general builders care about people - that would be incorrect.

When there are projects with low-income housing built, those projects should try to accommodate handicapped people on the first floor - but those apartments might cost more than "regular" apartments on higher floors.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:00 PM

7,019 posts, read 6,223,052 times
My senior apartment in Minnesota had a walk in shower and no tub. How I missed baths!

My new apartment here in Arizona has a shower and tub. It is classified as a handicapped apartment and has grab bars throughout the bathroom, which is really nice. The tub also has a built-in seat which can be flipped down so a person can sit while showering. Very handy.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:29 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,429,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I’m curious, where do you live? In CA high toilets are regarded handicap toilets. So my plumber told me when he replaced my high rise toilet. Most people would prefer that their feet touch the ground while on the throne.
But to each their own

(What I like about this forum we can discuss anything, including toilets )
Im short, (5'6") and i prefer a high toilet. I have a "booster" for our low toilet at home.

A high toilet DOES cost more money as it takes more porcelain to build one.

I opted for the booster as it was one my mother used ( who had M S). She was much taller than i am. Since my shorter than me father doesn't use it, i asked for it.

If i cant get the handicapped stall i feel like im going to hit the floor lowering myself to a regular toilet!

Same when i visit my father. There are handrails attached to the wall by the toilet put tgere for mother. I cannot get up off his low toilet with out them and my cane.

Because of a bad back, hip and knee, i use a removable handrail attachment that attaches to the tub to get in and out. It helps tremendously and only cost $20. Since we will resell our house, i didnt want a shower stall, as a family with bathing age kids might not buy the house.

Ah the things we do for the masses, not the individual.

Ah. The pleasures of growing oldER.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:55 PM

29 posts, read 33,751 times

Old 10-22-2018, 09:22 PM

17,264 posts, read 11,091,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
OP: You are assuming most general builders care about people - that would be incorrect.

When there are projects with low-income housing built, those projects should try to accommodate handicapped people on the first floor - but those apartments might cost more than "regular" apartments on higher floors.
Most general builders build to suit the average person, not seniors who need to have a high seat. Most people I dare say would not want a specialized toilet seat when there is no need for one. If you're not used to sitting on one, it's awkward and not the most comfortable. Personally, I avoid them.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:35 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,262,905 times
First world problems.

I have lived in senior low-income housing for about the last 5 years, in 3 different apartment buildings. I'm SO glad that they have all had bathtubs. I don't take baths anymore, but I love having a tub for washing my dog, for using as a place to repot plants, wash large objects, etc. I use it as a utility washtub. I can also hang handwashed items to dry inside it, on an additional shower curtain rod I can put across the middle of it.

I'm not sure I've ever encountered a high toilet seat, and I don't need one, and wouldn't want one. I want my feet to touch the ground, and I'm not super tall.

Anyone who is handicapped in the U.S. can install any needed modifications at their own cost, and landlords have to allow them to do it, if they're disabled. Some already have disabled bathrooms. If it's a reasonable accommodation for a disability, the landlord may even have to foot the bill.

But, not everyone wants to live in a handicap-modified unit. And, as I say, if anyone needs one - there are laws in place to get what you need.

I'd be really unhappy if all of a sudden I no longer could find an apartment with a tub - which also gives me more room to shower in than just a stall, or some tall toilet that I have to hop onto to use.

I just think there surely must be bigger problems to deal with in this first world country of ours - especially, since there are already protections in place for anyone who needs special accommodations.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:08 AM

10,819 posts, read 7,199,634 times
I'm renting an apartment near the Mayo Clinic. While not advertised as senior or disabled housing, the doorways are wide and the bathrooms big enough to maneuver a wheelchair. There's a stall shower in one bathroom.

But it has normal low toilets, no grab bars, and a shower/bathtub so deep, I have trouble stepping over the edge to shower.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:25 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,545,928 times
To answer the original question posed by the OP: because a few inexpensive adaptive devices can make any bathroom accessible: 1. a transfer shower bench 2. a handheld shower sprayer 3. a raised toilet seat with arms or not. 4. Clamp on tub grab bar for stepping in 5. Grab bars installed into the studs in the tub area.

Some apartments will add these upon request. Many durable medical equipment companies will come out and assist with measurements and installation.

Most of these items can be purchased at Walmart, Meijer, Lowes, Home Depot, or similar as well and cheaper than DME companies.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:10 AM

22,283 posts, read 11,782,186 times
We sold the house and moved into an apartment building. Once we moved in, we were surprised to find so many other retirees here. Their stories were like ours---they sold the house and downsized to an apartment.

Our building is a few years old. Every apartment has high toilets that are water saving ones. Some apartments do have grab bars in the bathrooms. For example, we have two bathrooms. Oddly, the one that's not the master bath has a grab bar in the shower and one by the toilet. The master bath has both a shower stall and a tub. Personally, I would have preferred to just have the shower because the shower stall is cramped because the tub takes up a lot of room. OTOH, it's harder to fall down in such a small space.

They say that when Boomers are retiring, more and more are preferring to rent. With that in mind, IMO more apartment buildings/complexes should have senior friendly bathrooms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement