Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:58 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,044 times

Advertisements

HI,

I didn't see a topic here despite a search... I'm in the Houston area and the SS office handling my application is in Alabama. I filed on Sunday Oct 28 and got the confirmation of amy application on Oct 29. I also see their info that I should "receive a letter in the mail within 30 days with a decision or to request more information." I have checked in online for my "status" and it still says "Initial" stage.

I suddenly lost my full-time job and this forced my hand...I had hoped to wait one more year to apply and get the maximum benefit. I have of course also applied for unemployment but everything takes time and it appears there will be no money forthcoming for at least a month!

Thanks for any info on other people's actual experience. I'm hoping to hear that maybe a check might show up in my bank account earlier than they say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 09:16 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Mine came about a month after application...

Old 11-12-2018, 09:19 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
My husband applied in Dec, I believe the check showed up around Feb. but he really wanted to apply after taking account of the previous working year. At least that’s what I remember telling them.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:08 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
OP, when did you ask them to start? and you do know that it is always a month later than your start so if for example you filed to start in November you would not receive a deposit until what ever time in December goes with your birth date.
also you mention you were going to wait another years does that mean you are past your full retirement age now? if so you have the option to take the extra credits OR a lump sum with smaller benefits ongoing.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:30 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
They actually address this question on the website.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
OP, when did you ask them to start? and you do know that it is always a month later than your start so if for example you filed to start in November you would not receive a deposit until what ever time in December goes with your birth date.
also you mention you were going to wait another years does that mean you are past your full retirement age now? if so you have the option to take the extra credits OR a lump sum with smaller benefits ongoing.

Hi,

I asked to start in October, assuming I might get a check in November.

Yes I am past FRA-- I am 69. I had hoped to get to 70 before filing. I am not familiar with what you are referring to in your last sentence...? I have not seen anything on the SS website with such an option. I wanted to get to 70 to get the biggest benefit possible past FRA of 66 -- is that what you mean by 'extra credits'? I have been told it's another 8% a year you will get in benefits if you wait until 70.

Is this credits-or-lump-sum something that may be offered in "the letter" I should get within 30 days?

Oh...my birthdate is the 25th so I think I am in that last group to get checks each month

Thanks for weighing in here.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:38 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
The maximum benefit is at 70. Are you 69? Or are you talking about the more typical 65/66 age for taking SS?

The SS office where I live encourages people to apply 2 months before eligibility. Even when your eligibility begins, they say you won't see the check until a month later. IOW there's a one-month lag between when your. eligibility begins, and when the check arrives. So for local people where I live, that adds up to a 3-month wait from the time you apply. YMMV. Even if you apply 1 month prior to eligibility, you'd end up with a 2-month wait for that check.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:54 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
I applied in May of this year. My birthday is August 20. Got my first check in mid-October.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:56 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Hi,

I asked to start in October, assuming I might get a check in November.

Yes I am past FRA-- I am 69. I had hoped to get to 70 before filing. I am not familiar with what you are referring to in your last sentence...? I have not seen anything on the SS website with such an option. I wanted to get to 70 to get the biggest benefit possible past FRA of 66 -- is that what you mean by 'extra credits'? I have been told it's another 8% a year you will get in benefits if you wait until 70.

Is this credits-or-lump-sum something that may be offered in "the letter" I should get within 30 days?

Oh...my birthdate is the 25th so I think I am in that last group to get checks each month

Thanks for weighing in here.
I am not sure if it will be offered in the letter, but when you Wait to collect until past your FRA you can then when you do collect take EITHER, your FRA benefit including the delayed credits that you have earned OR you can have them pay you for FRA benefit that you would have gotten at your FRA,[probably 66] and to pay you the full back pay from the time you were FRA to when you are no collecting.
IF you do that then your future payments will be the same as they would have been if you had started collecting at 66, or whatever your FRA was.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The maximum benefit is at 70. Are you 69? Or are you talking about the more typical 65/66 age for taking SS?

The SS office where I live encourages people to apply 2 months before eligibility. Even when your eligibility begins, they say you won't see the check until a month later. IOW there's a one-month lag between when your. eligibility begins, and when the check arrives. So for local people where I live, that adds up to a 3-month wait from the time you apply. YMMV. Even if you apply 1 month prior to eligibility, you'd end up with a 2-month wait for that check.

Yes I'm 69. Oh dear...at least two more months....?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement