U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 02:21 PM

3,436 posts, read 1,531,248 times

Advertisements

I think it can be good to schedule something like exercise, even in retirement. Seems all the retirees around here go out for their walks at around the same time (I can see them, LOL) so there must be something to it. We go out for our walk around 4:00; then it's happy hour, so that seems to work.

Chores, I don't know. I do them when I feel like it, or it gets bad. Can only take so much regimentation in retirement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 02:40 PM

295 posts, read 149,467 times
Default ...let it kinda happen...

Nobodysbusiness,

this is what works for me:

Usually, I am running errands in my automobile at least four times a week (I love driving either my 2010 Dodge Challenger or 2013 Chevrolet Camaro; both manual transmission). I always stop by a shopping mall and squeeze in between thirty to fifty minutes of walking. The short walks I do at a faster pace.
Usually in the morning sometimes in the early afternoon. I used to try getting there first thing in the morning to be with the other retirees, but have allowed the development of my errands to dictate the time of my walks. Keeps the walks from becoming too routine and allows me to meet new strangers as the crowds are different depending on the time of day.
This is working wonderfully for me.

Like Mschrief, I do not think you really need a coach. Just some prodding from the Retirement crowd on City-Data.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2018, 02:50 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,507,801 times
Let go of an incessant need to always be busy doing., doing, doing. Learn to live a blended lifestyle of exercise, outings, relaxation by choosing to do what you want to do versus have to do.

One of the joys of retirement is not having to have a plan. Maybe a little structure in your day or week, but the rest spontaneous.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:36 AM

1,986 posts, read 2,635,623 times
I have a number of items on my To-Do list (I'm a great list-maker), but I've found that unless I put them on my calendar, and make an actual appointment with myself for a specific day and time to get them done, they will stay on the To-Do list forever.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:30 AM

9,576 posts, read 10,920,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I would be interested in any apps that could help me get organized.

I have daily household, shopping, and yard maintenance to take care of - without a plan, it gobbles up too much of my productive time.

I am working on a project - developing a web site and YouTube channel - I have to be in a certain mood to work on it, or that has been the case. I want to build working on these projects into my schedule (that I don't have).

I need to exercise and that is the first thing to go by the way side.
The last time I exercised was in high school physical "education." I'm still alive; I have none of the physical problems associated with exercise.

Your project looks interesting. Why not work on it when you're in the mood? Schedule or don't schedule as you wish; you aren't required to do so.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 AM

10,332 posts, read 9,376,947 times
As I neared retirement many coworkers (much younger) would ask, "So, what will you do when you retire?" As if doing was a requirement.

My reply was always, "I'll retire." That says it all.

Working for nearly 50 years was enough doing for me.

Now I have the emotional and physical freedom to do or not do anything.

There is no way I'll waste my well-earned retirement years creating anxiety about doing anything.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:01 AM

5,426 posts, read 2,825,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
As I neared retirement many coworkers (much younger) would ask, "So, what will you do when you retire?" As if doing was a requirement.

My reply was always, "I'll retire." That says it all.

Working for nearly 50 years was enough doing for me.

Now I have the emotional and physical freedom to do or not do anything.

There is no way I'll waste my well-earned retirement years creating anxiety about doing anything.
Closely related is the What Do You Do All Day question. Sometimes it is asked by people who must genuinely have no imagination or idea of all the possibilities that exist outside of forced work. Other times by people who ask with a strong tone of passing judgment.

“I do the things that I didn’t have time for when I was working” is good enough an answer. People are so damned nosy.

If they are sincerely interested in how someone spends their own time, they can just ask, “What do you do for fun?” instead.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:49 AM

4,821 posts, read 1,838,502 times
The Apple App "Things" is pretty cool. I bought one for my phone and made some entries last night.

If I don't plan, then the day gets eaten up with lots of "nothing," and I really do have goals and things I WANT to accomplish. I just suffer from ennui and I get too comfortable.

Seeing if I can develop better habits for myself.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:05 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,728,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I have daily household, shopping, and yard maintenance to take care of - without a plan, it gobbles up too much of my productive time.
You have made these choices. We all have some daily chores that we need to do. Personal hygiene and eating come to mind. I find they take very little time. Daily shopping? Sounds like another choice you have made instead of a necessity. I shop about once every other week for about an hour at Costco.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:21 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,319,935 times
Buy a fitbit. You can get a used one cheap on ebay or something. Set your goals and move every day till you meet them. And since you have to be up and moving around you might as well do some of that other stuff too. The fitbit was very good for me. I thought I was more active than I really was before I got one. I had to stop kidding myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or