U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:31 PM

4,923 posts, read 1,874,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Buy a fitbit. You can get a used one cheap on ebay or something. Set your goals and move every day till you meet them. And since you have to be up and moving around you might as well do some of that other stuff too. The fitbit was very good for me. I thought I was more active than I really was before I got one. I had to stop kidding myself!
I have an old one, but I think I am going to get a new "watch."

This is a good idea, because while I know I am being sluggish, step measurement will wake me up.

I went for a long walk yesterday. Same plans for today after I get something done on computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 12:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,074,231 times
I see benefit to being a tad 'organized' during retirement. (ez to lose your hours during retirement!)

I was recently told...

"You are never gonna live long enough to finish these projects, better get choosy as to what you plan (want / need) to accomplish" (many of these projects are 30+ yrs old, and are no longer worth the time or trouble).

There is a LOT I love to do (including rest / nap / diversions).

Exercise is something I have not allocated the time for (being a farmer / outdoor type... up an at-'em (outside) every waking hour... no TV...)

I do like to lap swim on long winter evenings (but would rather be on a farm in NZ or Australia during USA winter putting in 16 hr days of daylight doing 'something productive'.

Take some hints from Procrastination websites...
1) Do the hardest things FIRST (before breakfast)
2) Journal / keep a task log (not as a burden, but as 'proof')
3) Plan a few things to get you started each day
4) downsize / simplify ASAP
5) Accept help / advice
6) treat yourself (in arrears)
7) Volunteer / help others (then you realize how lucky and healthy you are!)
8) Good habits are ez to keep. Bad habits are tough to let loose.
9) Purpose one month to establish a new set of habits. / schedule.
10) You're 'retired' enjoy it. (don't pressure yourself unduly)

Old 10-23-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I see benefit to being a tad 'organized' during retirement. (ez to lose your hours during retirement!)

I was recently told...

"You are never gonna live long enough to finish these projects, better get choosy as to what you plan (want / need) to accomplish" (many of these projects are 30+ yrs old, and are no longer worth the time or trouble).

There is a LOT I love to do (including rest / nap / diversions).

Exercise is something I have not allocated the time for (being a farmer / outdoor type... up an at-'em (outside) every waking hour... no TV...)

I do like to lap swim on long winter evenings (but would rather be on a farm in NZ or Australia during USA winter putting in 16 hr days of daylight doing 'something productive'.

Take some hints from Procrastination websites...
1) Do the hardest things FIRST (before breakfast)
2) Journal / keep a task log (not as a burden, but as 'proof')
3) Plan a few things to get you started each day
4) downsize / simplify ASAP
5) Accept help / advice
6) treat yourself (in arrears)
7) Volunteer / help others (then you realize how lucky and healthy you are!)
8) Good habits are ez to keep. Bad habits are tough to let loose.
9) Purpose one month to establish a new set of habits. / schedule.
10) You're 'retired' enjoy it. (don't pressure yourself unduly)
Good list. Aiming for all of it.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:20 PM

1,838 posts, read 796,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I would be interested in any apps that could help me get organized.

I have daily household, shopping, and yard maintenance to take care of - without a plan, it gobbles up too much of my productive time.

I am working on a project - developing a web site and YouTube channel - I have to be in a certain mood to work on it, or that has been the case. I want to build working on these projects into my schedule (that I don't have).

I need to exercise and that is the first thing to go by the way side.
Set times. Decide that every day you will spend x amount of time developing your web sites and channel no matter what mood you are in. Just that amount of time. If you accomplish something great, if you don't, don't beat yourself up tomorrow is another day. Household is basically once a week for more intensive and just making the bed when you get up. Schedule in shopping as needed. Twice week/once a week whatever fits you. Same goes for yard work or hire it out if you can afford it but you can consider it your exercise for the day if you diy. After dinner take a walk. Don't forget to schedule in some fun time. After all you are retired.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Set times. Decide that every day you will spend x amount of time developing your web sites and channel no matter what mood you are in. Just that amount of time. If you accomplish something great, if you don't, don't beat yourself up tomorrow is another day. Household is basically once a week for more intensive and just making the bed when you get up. Schedule in shopping as needed. Twice week/once a week whatever fits you. Same goes for yard work or hire it out if you can afford it but you can consider it your exercise for the day if you diy. After dinner take a walk. Don't forget to schedule in some fun time. After all you are retired.
Good attitude.

"The Best Made Plans of Mice and Men" (or women): Today, my task was to migrate data from one computer to another - I actually had to get a tool box out - have been huffing and puffing. Giving up for today - the error message that MY email address is incorrect is too much - and I called one time and the person in India kept focusing on things that had no bearing on the problem. I only raised my voice once and then thanked her and hung up.

I am going for a walk now!

Old 10-23-2018, 03:38 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,364,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I had a set-back and had to recover so spent a lot of time "resting."

I am feeling better now, but I think I have developed new negative habits of resting too much.

I know I could benefit by a schedule.

I fear I am becoming lazy.

I have a lot of things I want to do - and many tasks to take care of - so part of it is overwhelm.

I think "being retired" is giving me some idea that I don't "have" to do anything, and it is detrimental to my productivity!
One thing you can do is review your meds for possible side effects and drug interactions. Are you taking any new ones since your most recent medical issue? Did any of the meds get changed? This can affect your mood as well as how tired you feel.

That said, being retired does mean you don't have to do much of anything... Yes there are daily things you have to do to keep your self fed, clothed, and healthy, and be sure the bills are paid. Beyond that, not much is mandatory.

If you think you would benefit from a schedule, get a calendar and mark off times for various activities. I don't plan my days, but I do keep a list of the things I need to get done. Sometimes things stay on the list for a long time (months) if they are not urgent or life threatening. I am ok with that. I am allowed to be lazy now.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:03 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,031,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Is it possible that the issue is not that you need discipline or a schedule, but that you think you "should" do more? Fact is, in retirement you really don't "have" to do anything except the things ready for survival -- like grocery shopping, reasonable house cleaning and maintenance, tending to medical needs etc. Thinking about all the things we would like to do and then turning them into some kind of obligation is a good way to drive ourselves nuts.

May I suggest that if you have to be in the mood to do something, then either wait for the mood, or don't do it. May I also suggest this exercise -- sit someplace you like outside on a nice day and give yourself permission to do absolutely nothing for at least 20 minutes. Either you will discover the energy and motivation to get up and do something, or you will get more relaxation, both of which are good things.

This resonates with me. OP...find what resonates with you, then do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or