U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-22-2018, 12:02 PM
 
Location: planet earth
4,806 posts, read 1,824,401 times
Reputation: 10665

Advertisements

I had a set-back and had to recover so spent a lot of time "resting."

I am feeling better now, but I think I have developed new negative habits of resting too much.

I know I could benefit by a schedule.

I fear I am becoming lazy.

I have a lot of things I want to do - and many tasks to take care of - so part of it is overwhelm.

I think "being retired" is giving me some idea that I don't "have" to do anything, and it is detrimental to my productivity!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2018, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
14,216 posts, read 44,870,326 times
Reputation: 12787
What activities are you trying to get back into? Exercise, part time work (apparently for yourself?)



"There is an app for that". Assuming you have a smart phone, there are so many timers and whatever I don't even know where to start.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 12:16 PM
 
Location: planet earth
4,806 posts, read 1,824,401 times
Reputation: 10665
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What activities are you trying to get back into? Exercise, part time work (apparently for yourself?) "There is an app for that". Assuming you have a smart phone, there are so many timers and whatever I don't even know where to start.


I would be interested in any apps that could help me get organized.

I have daily household, shopping, and yard maintenance to take care of - without a plan, it gobbles up too much of my productive time.

I am working on a project - developing a web site and YouTube channel - I have to be in a certain mood to work on it, or that has been the case. I want to build working on these projects into my schedule (that I don't have).

I need to exercise and that is the first thing to go by the way side.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
2,636 posts, read 1,542,579 times
Reputation: 5005
Is it possible that the issue is not that you need discipline or a schedule, but that you think you "should" do more? Fact is, in retirement you really don't "have" to do anything except the things ready for survival -- like grocery shopping, reasonable house cleaning and maintenance, tending to medical needs etc. Thinking about all the things we would like to do and then turning them into some kind of obligation is a good way to drive ourselves nuts.


May I suggest that if you have to be in the mood to do something, then either wait for the mood, or don't do it. May I also suggest this exercise -- sit someplace you like outside on a nice day and give yourself permission to do absolutely nothing for at least 20 minutes. Either you will discover the energy and motivation to get up and do something, or you will get more relaxation, both of which are good things.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
14,216 posts, read 44,870,326 times
Reputation: 12787
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I would be interested in any apps that could help me get organized.

I have daily household, shopping, and yard maintenance to take care of - without a plan, it gobbles up too much of my productive time.

I am working on a project - developing a web site and YouTube channel - I have to be in a certain mood to work on it, or that has been the case. I want to build working on these projects into my schedule (that I don't have).

I need to exercise and that is the first thing to go by the way side.

You could start with the installed calendar, put yourself some reminders to work out, or whatever.


I can be a bit like you in that I have a large fleet of older cars and am always working on one or more of them, but since I have plenty of other options for a ride, I can take a long time to finish a job. This can work to my advantage since if I discover other issues when I dis-assemble, I have plenty of time to order parts, special tools, whatever I need.


If you have or can find a helper or collaborator, sometimes just scheduling a work session with them will get you going, give you a specific time to attack a certain task.


Yard maintenance - this is going to depend on weather, you just need to resolve to get after it the first time you have suitable weather.



You get 168 hours every week like everyone else. You can set aside at least 3 of them to go to the gym.



Having a regular bedtime and get-up time can help at least some people.


How's your diet? If you are eating junk, you know, garbage in, garbage out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 01:15 PM
 
Location: planet earth
4,806 posts, read 1,824,401 times
Reputation: 10665
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You could start with the installed calendar, put yourself some reminders to work out, or whatever.


I can be a bit like you in that I have a large fleet of older cars and am always working on one or more of them, but since I have plenty of other options for a ride, I can take a long time to finish a job. This can work to my advantage since if I discover other issues when I dis-assemble, I have plenty of time to order parts, special tools, whatever I need.


If you have or can find a helper or collaborator, sometimes just scheduling a work session with them will get you going, give you a specific time to attack a certain task.


Yard maintenance - this is going to depend on weather, you just need to resolve to get after it the first time you have suitable weather.



You get 168 hours every week like everyone else. You can set aside at least 3 of them to go to the gym.



Having a regular bedtime and get-up time can help at least some people.


How's your diet? If you are eating junk, you know, garbage in, garbage out.
Thank you. I am feeling very undisciplined. I think I need to get up earlier and then have some kind of routine in the morning.

I found the app "Things" which sounds promising.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
14,216 posts, read 44,870,326 times
Reputation: 12787
If there is an app called "Gunny Highway", that ought to help with discipline. If there is no such app, well, someone should write one!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 01:37 PM
 
10,318 posts, read 9,367,886 times
Reputation: 15907
There are numerous websites:

https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs...-in-retirement

https://www.nextavenue.org/time-mana...py-retirement/

https://www.streetdirectory.com/trav...etirement.html

Creating good routines in retirement (or any time) - Things could be worse
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 01:43 PM
 
5,405 posts, read 2,813,304 times
Reputation: 10100
Watch out for so-called life coaches. New way to prey on vulnerable people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Location: Happy Place
3,686 posts, read 1,863,297 times
Reputation: 11284
Oh good grief! Take PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for your laziness. Get out of bed, off your a$$ and DO SOMETHING. Join a health club, make a daily trek in a nearby park. Sign up for some classes, build something, try a new recipe, take a road trip.

You don't need a coach. Waste of time. YOU can change YOUR life.

There, I was just your coach for a second. Whew!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top