U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 11:29 AM

6,828 posts, read 3,869,983 times

Advertisements

Have you discussed it with your family? One of my sons in particular was extremely helpful to us and even found the retirement community to which we moved. It's affordable and close to all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 11:44 AM

605 posts, read 189,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I have a big family (no grandkids yet) nieces and nephews, kids and cousin. We see each other ALL the time. we support each other, yell, fight and love on each other.

There is no scenario in my mind where I would be happy half way around the world from that. Now if one of my sons ups and moves far away I'll deal with that when it happens but for me, I'll stick with my 10 K property taxes a year (ouch) to stay close to my kids.
10k is low for property taxes.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:53 AM

2,512 posts, read 1,334,741 times
Of course you should stay near your family if that makes you happy!

I've seen so many folks move to Florida (I live in the Northeast) thinking the kids and grandkids will visit them and you know what, doesn't happen as often as you think

Old 10-23-2018, 02:03 PM

8,327 posts, read 6,173,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I have grown kids. One moved to Europe ( the older male). One lives three states away and the other three are within minutes.

I am fully aware that this current situation of constant contact with closeby kids and grandchildren can change. I live outside Washington DC and love the area. This is not the retirement capital of the world and I still work full time despite being 68.

I hear many stories about people moving to Florida and hating it. I may consider moving to the Annapolis area for retirement.

I would consider staying in my current home but the mortgage would not be paid in full. If I sell and buy elsewhere i can buy a house in cash with no mortgage. If I move to North carolina i can find a house bigger than mine for half the price and warm weather. Is it worth it?
Why not split the difference and move further out from the DC Metro's core but still striking distance from your family?

Old 10-23-2018, 02:13 PM

3,451 posts, read 1,537,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
10k is low for property taxes.
LOL. $45 annually is LOW. That's our bill.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:20 PM

13,057 posts, read 6,238,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
How can we answer that without knowing where you and the kids are?

But, I would ask - are you sure they will all stay put? I chased my daughter a couple of times, and then she moved again. So, I don't advise anyone to live or move based only on where the kids live - because the kids can and probably will move.
He lives in MD, north of DC. Yes, it's a high COLA area.

All that said --- Something to consider. After my mother died, my father remarried a year later. The marriage didn't work out so he moved in with my brother and SIL who were at the other end of the country. They had an in-law suite so we all were relieved when he moved in with them. However, he got bored and moved back west. Then his health declined and he ended up back in the in-law suite. Honestly, I wish he had just stayed there. Instead, he made a rash decision and moved to FL just because an old friend told him to move into his 55+ complex. It was a big mistake. The last year of his life, his health really declined. My brother made several trips to FL. He could do it as he was self-employed. One visit, my brother stayed there for 2 months because he didn't want to leave until our father was back on his feet.

Our father passed away a couple of months ago. My husband and I were in the middle of moving---set to get the keys 2 days after he passed plus we had already arranged for the movers. My brother had gone down to FL 2 days before our father passed. He ended up being the one to pack up our father's items. If we weren't in a tough situation at the time, we would have helped him.

So...there are disadvantages to moving far away. Your kids may not be able to always be there when you get ill and need extra help. If you still want to do this, then make sure you have plans in place to have non-family help should you become ill.

And, yes, if you stay put, are you 100% certain that your kids will stay put, also?

Old 10-23-2018, 06:51 PM

1,200 posts, read 356,010 times
What about being a snowbird? Otherwise I would suggest you move to wherever it is you thought you wanted to live in retirement. If you aren't happy, move n
back.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:16 PM

19,929 posts, read 14,242,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I always thought I would move away for retirement, but all my grown kids and grandchildren are here in my state (a high COLA state).

What is best low COLA away from fam?
Since no one knows where you live, we can't answer that.

There are 3,007 base-COLA areas, plus several thousand more localized areas, so there might be one near you just a few miles away.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:31 PM

659 posts, read 325,222 times
I have just returned from a road trip by myself from Maryland to Charlotte, NC. It take about 7 hours with traffic. I got to babysit my precious 2 1/2 year old grandson for a week! I want my grandson to know me. I am so glad my two sons and their families are within driving distance.

If I were the OP, I would not move far away and isolate myself from my family.

By the way, the Charlotte area is absolutely charming with mild weather. I'm surprised there's not more talk here on the retirement benefits of that city.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:19 PM

13,057 posts, read 6,238,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Since no one knows where you live, we can't answer that.

There are 3,007 base-COLA areas, plus several thousand more localized areas, so there might be one near you just a few miles away.
He lives in MD in the suburbs north of DC. It is a high COLA area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or