U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 04:09 PM

605 posts, read 188,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yup. With so many threads like this, it makes you really wonder how so many folks have managed to retire in other countries or states with low cost of living away from family.

Moving away from family so you can live cheaper, oh the horror. How will life go on?
Tell us when you are old and don't have family to help you. Nor even be close with your family any more since you've moved away from them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Distance makes the heart grown fonder.

So in this high tech world today, my being so distanced from family, what goes on at family get-togethers? I can only imagine!

Do they ban smartphones at family/holiday gatherings today?
sending videos to each other is not the same as being together in real life
but better than nothing I suppose

Old 10-24-2018, 04:18 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,652,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
At least you got out of the DMV! I'd hate to spend any amount of time there....

It's really not that bad. I had a lot of fun while I was there (over two decades). And it's great during your career years. It's not where we wanted to retire, however.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:28 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,828,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
Tell us when you are old and don't have family to help you. Nor even be close with your family any more since you've moved away from them
Help me do what? I moved away from my entire family at the age of 19 when I joined the Air Force, now I live on a small island away from my family. My family has never helped me and never will.

Oh and my Romanian spouse moved away from her entire family at 23 to live with me in America, her family never gave her a penny.

I don't need family to help me at any age, that's what nursing homes are for. Why the hell would I burden my family like that? It's called independence and self-sufficiency, perhaps this is news to you.

Last edited by Rocko20; 10-24-2018 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-24-2018, 05:39 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
There's no way to tell where your kids will end up. Good chance one or more of them will be offered a better job that requires re-location. It just happens.

It all depends on what you want out of your retirement. If you want to spend it doing childcare for your grands, don't move. But if you want to travel and do things with your SO, leave. Go to that lower COL place and have some fun. Lower COL will give you more for travel and you won't be so close to the kids that they rely on you constantly.

You could stay for the kids for X years then move. Truth be told once they are in school they will want to spend time with their friends, not parents/grandparents. They will have their own stuff to do!

Old 10-25-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Help me do what? I moved away from my entire family at the age of 19 when I joined the Air Force, now I live on a small island away from my family. My family has never helped me and never will.

Oh and my Romanian spouse moved away from her entire family at 23 to live with me in America, her family never gave her a penny.

I don't need family to help me at any age, that's what nursing homes are for. Why the hell would I burden my family like that? It's called independence and self-sufficiency, perhaps this is news to you.
Well if they never helped you (aside from financially) and were terrible parents, I can understand moving away from them.

I said help out. Most people won't need a level of nursing home care but will need some assistance later in life.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:55 AM

9,765 posts, read 6,726,032 times
Quote:

Some people don't get along with the family, I get that. In my case the fam is very important and a source of great joy.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:14 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,134,907 times
To the OP, one thing to consider is that Maryland isn't exactly tax friendly to retirees. I think it's one of the worst states to live in as far as your pension being taxed--Virginia is marginally better.

I was born and raised in the DC area. Started out in Maryland and have spent the last 20+ years in NoVA. Definitely better in VA for my working payroll taxes. But I digress:

Since you are so involved in your granchildren's lives, I think you would not enjoy being too far away. I think you're going to get a sticker shock in Annapolis and the surrounding area. Prices are very high.

I like some of the other ideas about moving away just a "little" bit. Maybe be 2 hours away. That might put you in WV or down in Fredericksburg/Williamsburg area. You could also look up in Delaware and be closer to the DELMARVA beaches. VERY tax friendly and good housing prices there. You could easily pop down to babysit, see one of the grandkids' events, etc and just make an overnight stay somewhere depending on the time of the event.

Currently I am about 10 years out from retirement. My parents retired a few years ago (mother was 69). We have always lived near each other and my parents have always been VERY involved in my kids' lives. But now my kids are in their early 20s and have graduated college and moved out on their own. They don't have time for ANY of us!!! So my parents are here living in NoVA in a neighborhood full of young people and commuters. It's really not a good area for a retiree and I don't think they are overly happy here anymore. In fact, they are down in Florida now looking at communities. They enjoy hot weather. My parents feel that they should have moved years ago but they were enjoying their grandkids at the same time so it was a hard decision.

Just some food for thought...

Old 10-25-2018, 08:17 AM

2,512 posts, read 1,331,352 times
Everyone, kids and parents, should live their own lives. Absolutely!

But I see so many retired parents who move away and expect their adult kids to visit them because they live somewhere "fun" Ah no, you're the one who moved away and I don't need to go to Boca every year. Expect to have to make trips back if you want to know your grandkids.

The best situation is to keep a small place in your home area if you have family still there and a small getaway in your dream location. But that can be hard to do with finances obviously

Old 10-25-2018, 11:25 AM

3,431 posts, read 1,529,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
It's really not that bad. I had a lot of fun while I was there (over two decades). And it's great during your career years. It's not where we wanted to retire, however.
To me, the DMV is Dept. of Motor Vehicles. What is the acronym to which you refer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or