Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:34 PM

605 posts, read 334,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL. $45 annually is LOW. That's our bill.
Seriously??? I guess living in California DOESN'T have its perks sometimes

Our property taxes are $2800 a year and I feel blessed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 12:33 AM

24,449 posts, read 9,308,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Also, there's a new thread on this very same thing every week or so.
Yup. With so many threads like this, it makes you really wonder how so many folks have managed to retire in other countries or states with low cost of living away from family.

Moving away from family so you can live cheaper, oh the horror. How will life go on?

Old 10-24-2018, 01:51 AM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Oh brother.

If you have to ask, I would say move far, far away.
Distance makes the heart grown fonder.

So in this high tech world today, my being so distanced from family, what goes on at family get-togethers? I can only imagine!

Do they ban smartphones at family/holiday gatherings today?

Old 10-24-2018, 06:17 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,548,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I always thought I would move away for retirement, but all my grown kids and grandchildren are here in my state (a high COLA state).

What is best low COLA away from fam?
High COLA close to fam?

We hang out almost every weekend.
My two cents: Absence makes the heart grow fonder, familiarity breeds contempt.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:43 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,098,694 times
There are lots of towns in WV, PA and VA that have a significantly lower cost of living. The kids could be just a few hours away, which means you'd still see them quite a bit. And they'll have a fun trip coming out to visit Grandma in a different town. We moved from Nova to Williamsburg, and I go back up to Nova 2-3 times a month. People come down to visit all the time. Maybe too much, maybe I should have moved farther away (LOL).

As others have pointed out, your kids may end up getting a job somewhere else and moving, anyway. DC metro area is a very transitional place, people end up coming and going all the time there.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:35 AM

11,168 posts, read 15,961,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
As others have pointed out, your kids may end up getting a job somewhere else and moving, anyway. DC metro area is a very transitional place, people end up coming and going all the time there.
That's true for the people who move to the DC metro area for the job opportunities; not so much for the people who were born and raised there. Most of my friends and neighbors lived in the area all of their lives, and their extended families are there as well.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:06 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,483,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
There are lots of towns in WV, PA and VA that have a significantly lower cost of living. The kids could be just a few hours away, which means you'd still see them quite a bit. And they'll have a fun trip coming out to visit Grandma in a different town. We moved from Nova to Williamsburg, and I go back up to Nova 2-3 times a month. People come down to visit all the time. Maybe too much, maybe I should have moved farther away (LOL). .
I love the Williamsburg area, I can see why you get a lot of visitors!

But yes, I agree. It's worth looking close to home if you are just looking for a lower COL (as opposed to climate, etc) I live in Northern NJ and I could move one hour west to PA and buy a much lower cost house and property taxes and still be within easy driving distance of everyone. I could even move 30 minutes northwest and get a less expensive home

Old 10-24-2018, 08:28 AM

6,281 posts, read 4,165,415 times
That’s such a personal call it’s impossible to say it’s a good idea or not. Only you in your heart and soul can know what feels right.

We moved to be closer to our son and our grandchildren and it’s been worth it, and We love Arizona. However there may come a time when they move or the grandchildren get to an age where they are not interested in hanging around grandparents, so we keep this in mind.

As for the saying familiarity breeds contempt, that only applies if one is t a happy person or doesn’t respect boundaries and becomes overly enmeshed in the lives of others.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:17 AM

41 posts, read 28,427 times
I'm at that crossroad too. Born and raised in the DMV and presently living in Southern MD. I'll be retiring in 8 months but more than likely won't make a decision on moving till after my wife retires 5 years later. Most of my family is here, and I have other family in NC and SC. Not to fond of rural NC. Thought of moving to FL or SC, but recent storms have changed my mind. Family is nice to be around but a few of them think We're a bank! Always asking or borrowing (never paying it back). Well I love my house and neighborhood, and the COL is high but I'm used to it and can manage it with my retirement from military and govt. family is everything and mine has it's faults, so I guess I'll hang around till something entices me to leave!

Old 10-24-2018, 10:43 AM

11,035 posts, read 6,584,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird57 View Post
I'm at that crossroad too. Born and raised in the DMV and presently living in Southern MD. I'll be retiring in 8 months but more than likely won't make a decision on moving till after my wife retires 5 years later. Most of my family is here, and I have other family in NC and SC. Not to fond of rural NC. Thought of moving to FL or SC, but recent storms have changed my mind. Family is nice to be around but a few of them think We're a bank! Always asking or borrowing (never paying it back). Well I love my house and neighborhood, and the COL is high but I'm used to it and can manage it with my retirement from military and govt. family is everything and mine has it's faults, so I guess I'll hang around till something entices me to leave!
At least you got out of the DMV! I'd hate to spend any amount of time there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement