U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 11:49 AM

518 posts, read 705,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Also OP $7500 for one hearing aid is ridiculous.

A top of the line Siemans is roughly $2200. So you may want to get a few quotes next time.
Yes that is what we paid three years ago. Thanks for that info..... And now we are being told by the business where we bought them, that Seimans will no longer cover repairs because they only offer a three year guarantee. And they have had to be repaired at least three times already. The business says they will do tune ups for life but we will have to pay for repairs from now on. We had just moved to our current city when we bought these so weren't sure where to purchase. We have time to do more research now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 08:54 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,132,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
My BIL has a cochlear implant. He doesn't use it to hear generally. Instead my sister has a small microphone pinned to her lapel, so he can hear her. I don't know whether that's his choice or whether that's just as well as it works for him.

If I had one of those, the last thing I would want is for my wife to have a microphone!!!

Old 10-23-2018, 09:23 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,342,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Thanks everyone for your input! Its so helpful to hear from others who have been through this. it makes me sad that more hasn't been done to help folks with hearing loss and worse, those who are deaf. So much to think about and research. It is not simple. I could have never predicted the impact that my husbands hearing loss has had on our marriage. It has made communication so much more difficult so I sometimes just avoid talking to him because it takes more effort. And so have other people. I know this has affected him more deeply than he can admit.
His current hearing aid is three years old and its a Siemens.....one of you mentioned Siemens....when he was fitted, there was no mention of bluetooth or cell phone connection. So I'll be checking into that for sure.
Whats been shared here about cochlear implant is discouraging so will have to do some research there as well.
Someone above mentioned going back to the audiologist -- more than once -- to get it adjusted. All of the modern hearing aids are programmable. They can make it work for him. But he has to be able to describe what his problem is... such as difficulty hearing voices when there is background noise, difficulty hearing the TV, voices sounding garbled or mumbled, etc.

If his Siemens aids are only 3 years old, the audiologist should be able to make adjustments. It may take several tries to get it right. Don't spend more money on new ones until you get someone to adjust the ones he has. I would go back to the place you got them.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:53 PM

6,559 posts, read 3,659,218 times
I got a Siemens about three years ago and it cost around $5,000. My insurance paid most of the cost and I recently read where they will do that every two years. My Audiologist had a warranty that continues after the Siemens warranty ends so long as they can fix the problem in-house. I've had good experience with the hearing aids until recently when the program seems messed up and the lanyard controller malfunctions. I've not taken it in for service yet...it works well 90% of the time. I'll take them in soon.

After three years my unassisted hearing seems worse on days when I don't wear the hearing aids. My brain is used to hearing better and doesn't try to fill in the gaps by guessing at the context. I notice also that the fit isn't as snug as it was and the earpieces seem loose. I wear glasses and there seems to be more of an issue with the fit over my ears.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:33 AM

28,237 posts, read 39,884,966 times
This is a quote from a forum on CD where people are talking about hearing aids and is one of the best descriptions of what we go through just to talk to others I've ever found. It's a doctor telling a mom what her 13 year old daughter is going to experience from congenital hearing loss.

"(Hearing) people use selective inattention and decide casually what to tune out. But your daughter has to use selective attention. She has to constantly decide when to listen and then devote energy to doing so. It's an exhausting process that requires both physical and cognitive concentration. When you see two men leaning on a fence and looking at a mule, you hear the conversation and choose to ignore them or not. She has to process the scene, decide if it's important, cognitively evaluate context to decide they might be talking about the mule, then apply all that to decode the sounds she hears."

Old 10-24-2018, 10:40 AM

6,559 posts, read 3,659,218 times
^^^Before I got my hearing aids I heard people say the most outlandish and bizarre things -- it was sad but hilarious at the same time. I knew they couldn't have said what my brain thought they said...it guessed at the context and filled in the gaps. I'd get caught smiling and have to explain on occasion. A few times I got caught responding inappropriately based on what I thought I heard. People seem much more rational and less comical once I got my hearing aids. I guess that's a good thing.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:27 AM

3,605 posts, read 1,557,204 times
I am not retired, but want to know what type of hearing aid will be beneficial for some one with profound hearing loss in one ear. Will the hearing aid send the sound to the other ear or will it increase the decibels on the affected ear??

Old 10-24-2018, 12:41 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,342,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I am not retired, but want to know what type of hearing aid will be beneficial for some one with profound hearing loss in one ear. Will the hearing aid send the sound to the other ear or will it increase the decibels on the affected ear??
All depends on what causes the hearing loss. Hearing aid places offer free exams all the time. Why don't you go for one of those and then ask all your questions to the expert there.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:14 PM

28,237 posts, read 39,884,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
^^^Before I got my hearing aids I heard people say the most outlandish and bizarre things -- it was sad but hilarious at the same time. I knew they couldn't have said what my brain thought they said...it guessed at the context and filled in the gaps. I'd get caught smiling and have to explain on occasion. A few times I got caught responding inappropriately based on what I thought I heard. People seem much more rational and less comical once I got my hearing aids. I guess that's a good thing.
Me too. I still turn to my wife and ask if that's what they really said. Sometimes it's hilarious.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:39 PM

319 posts, read 150,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
The amount of hearing loss will dictate what type of hearing aid you need.

Minimal= fully in canal(non visible)
Medium = in ear but visible
Severe= behind ear

You have to find a real certified audiologist. As other poster stated you have to get used to them. Think of it as you switching to bifocals. You will hear noises differently. Most are digital now and very easy to program on a computer to match your hearing loss. But tweaks will need to be made.

The best brand imo is Siemens. They have been around a while. I’ve tried others with no luck. So it’s worth the extra $.
It is not necessarily true that there is a correlation between amount of hearing loss and style of hearing aids. When I got my hearing aids at Costco, however they classified my hearing loss (based on an audiologist's hearing test), I was offered several differeng styles.

Some patients just can't tolerate the "fully in canal" style -- this has nothing to do with their amount of hearing loss per se. They can't tolerate how the "fully in canal style" feels in their eustachian tube.

Most people end up with "behind the ear style" -- I did, and I don't have severe hearing loss. Costco sells rebranded hearing aids -- they are really good, but there are a number of good brands of hearing aids.

When you are shopping, beware of advertising that promises "breakthrough technology", or hearing aids that bear ridiculous names (e.g., Miracle Ear). Hearing aid technology is very advanced and has been solid for years. There is not one company that has some miracle technology than others don't either have or have something close to. As always, caveat emptor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement