U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 06:14 PM

3,546 posts, read 1,360,288 times

Advertisements

well, i'm cheap and just started needing something to help me decode.
i got a hunting hearing aid (game ear) for both ears. $50 for the pair.
here's what i mean:
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/game...ce:&pageSize:&
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 07:25 PM

518 posts, read 705,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Someone above mentioned going back to the audiologist -- more than once -- to get it adjusted. All of the modern hearing aids are programmable. They can make it work for him. But he has to be able to describe what his problem is... such as difficulty hearing voices when there is background noise, difficulty hearing the TV, voices sounding garbled or mumbled, etc.

If his Siemens aids are only 3 years old, the audiologist should be able to make adjustments. It may take several tries to get it right. Don't spend more money on new ones until you get someone to adjust the ones he has. I would go back to the place you got them.
He has been back for adjustments but still misses a lot in conversation. Thats why Im wondering if the technicians at this hearing aid business have been properly trained and if we should go elsewhere. They are telling us that the technology has improved significantly during the past three years and that since his Siemens repair warranty has expired, why not get a new one. Or they said we could also purchase an extended repair warranty.
also, were windering what advantage an aid with newer technology like Bluetooth (no idea) or one that works with cell phone (have no idea how this works either but have heard about it) could be more helpful. Can anyone tell me how Bluetooth or other assisted technology has helped improve your hearing?

Old 10-24-2018, 07:36 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,342,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
He has been back for adjustments but still misses a lot in conversation. That’s why I’m wondering if the technicians at this hearing aid business have been properly trained and if we should go elsewhere. They are telling us that the technology has improved significantly during the past three years and that since his Siemens repair warranty has expired, why not get a new one. Or they said we could also purchase an extended repair warranty.
also, we’re windering what advantage an aid with newer technology like Bluetooth (no idea) or one that works with cell phone (have no idea how this works either but have heard about it) could be more helpful. Can anyone tell me how Bluetooth or other assisted technology has helped improve your hearing?

Yes, go elsewhere. Call around to find an audiologist who knows how to program the brand and model hearing aids he has. You have spent an awful lot of money on the hearing aids. Don't just throw them away. It's likely the audiologist you have been seeing doesn't know how to program them. They shouldn't go bad in 3 years unless you dropped them in a glass of water overnight.

He needs to hear... not play with fancy phone apps.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:23 AM

2,633 posts, read 3,373,763 times
Honestly, the technology for the fundamentals of hearing aids has NOT transformed dramatically in the last few years. They want you to think it has so you go back and by more (overpriced) hearing aids. I agree with others that finding the right style that you can tolerate and having excellent service for troubleshooting are probably the most important things. For the vast majority of users, having the newest hearing aid with all the bells and whistles is not essential.

My father delayed getting hearing aids for years. OP, you are right that hearing loss can have a really negative impact on your relationships and honestly, can cause deterioration of a marriage. If you are now discouraged from talking to your husband... that is just awful. Awful for your relationship and intimacy and ...... awful for his hearing and brain deterioration. Use it or loose it.

Only once my father read the evidence that hearing loss is associated with an increased rate of dementia did he agree to get hearing aids. And when his excellent ENT doctor reviewed his issues and reviewed the results of his audiology exam, the doctor said.... "Get thee to COSTCO!". My Dad loves Costco (don't we all .

My Dad's experience with getting his first hearing aids from Costco has been excellent. I think I started a thread about it before on this forum. The prices for very good quality hearing aids - Kirkland brand ("generic") - are excellent. That had all of the useful bells and whistles for the typical user. My Dad tests them on his cell phone using the App to make sure they are balanced every time he puts them in. He can change the settings/volume on his cell phones, which is much easier than using the small buttons on the hearing aids. He has pre-programmed settings on the aids (that were set up by the Costco technician) that he can change depending upon the environment he is in - for regular conversation, conversation in a crowded room (ex. eating at a restaurant), listening to music, going to the theater and more. When he goes to a play at one of the great theaters in his city, he can link his hearing aids to their "loop" system, and the actor's voices go straight into his hearing aids. Amazing!

But hearing aids do take time to adjust to and to find the right fit. It took my father about 6 months of return visits for questions/changes in the program. In the end, he got a hearing aid that goes behind the ear, with custom molds for the part that goes in the ear. Honestly, to me they look so modern that when I had seen them on people in the past, I thought they were bluetooth earphones, not hearing aids!

And you can't beat the prices at Costco. Amazing. The best warranty of any place in our area. You can lengthen the warranty if you charge to their Costco credit card and get cash back. All free visits to go back and service the aids. Cheap batteries. So many good things.

It makes me so sad to see people give up too quickly on their hearing aids. I blame the audiologists/technicians/doctors for not giving better service and explaining how important it is to improve your hearing. Or else it is too easy to sleep into depression... and dementia.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:17 AM

676 posts, read 1,328,108 times
I have a congenital hearing loss that steadily got worse until, at present, I can rarely hear anyone without my hearing aids. People think I'm rude, but I don't realize they have spoke to me.

Since my thirties, I have spent appox $40,000 on instruments (good quality aids, less expensive aids, hearing boost for phone, captel phone (which I love), TV system, etc. A couple of years ago, I got the Reston aids from Costco. I like Costco's service and the aids are the best I have ever had. But, one reason I like them is because my expectations are different--more realistic!

Hearing aids are not like eyeglasses. They do not give most people "normal" hearing. Rather, they provide a usable hearing. (I think mild loss at the upper frequencies, may be better corrected.) For myself, hearing aids are never going to allow conversation unless someone is standing within five or six feet, looking at me (sound waves bend and distort), and speaking clearly ie. without an accent I'm not used to. And, Tek-Freak who posted that hearing is physically and mentally exhausting is correct. I simply do not want to be around people who talk on and on about unimportant things--too tiring for me.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:01 AM

6,064 posts, read 9,526,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
. . . .
also, were windering what advantage an aid with newer technology like Bluetooth (no idea) or one that works with cell phone (have no idea how this works either but have heard about it) could be more helpful. Can anyone tell me how Bluetooth or other assisted technology has helped improve your hearing?
A friend of ours recently got Costco hearing aids that work with Bluetooth. He explained that he can put his smartphone in the middle of the table his friends are at in a restaurant, and he can better follow the conversation because it has less background noise. And he can put the smart phone near the TV downstairs and hear without having to turn the volume up high enough to bother his wife, listening to something else in another room.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:32 AM

3,605 posts, read 1,557,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Honestly, the technology for the fundamentals of hearing aids has NOT transformed dramatically in the last few years. They want you to think it has so you go back and by more (overpriced) hearing aids. I agree with others that finding the right style that you can tolerate and having excellent service for troubleshooting are probably the most important things. For the vast majority of users, having the newest hearing aid with all the bells and whistles is not essential.

My father delayed getting hearing aids for years. OP, you are right that hearing loss can have a really negative impact on your relationships and honestly, can cause deterioration of a marriage. If you are now discouraged from talking to your husband... that is just awful. Awful for your relationship and intimacy and ...... awful for his hearing and brain deterioration. Use it or loose it.

Only once my father read the evidence that hearing loss is associated with an increased rate of dementia did he agree to get hearing aids. And when his excellent ENT doctor reviewed his issues and reviewed the results of his audiology exam, the doctor said.... "Get thee to COSTCO!". My Dad loves Costco (don't we all .

My Dad's experience with getting his first hearing aids from Costco has been excellent. I think I started a thread about it before on this forum. The prices for very good quality hearing aids - Kirkland brand ("generic") - are excellent. That had all of the useful bells and whistles for the typical user. My Dad tests them on his cell phone using the App to make sure they are balanced every time he puts them in. He can change the settings/volume on his cell phones, which is much easier than using the small buttons on the hearing aids. He has pre-programmed settings on the aids (that were set up by the Costco technician) that he can change depending upon the environment he is in - for regular conversation, conversation in a crowded room (ex. eating at a restaurant), listening to music, going to the theater and more. When he goes to a play at one of the great theaters in his city, he can link his hearing aids to their "loop" system, and the actor's voices go straight into his hearing aids. Amazing!

But hearing aids do take time to adjust to and to find the right fit. It took my father about 6 months of return visits for questions/changes in the program. In the end, he got a hearing aid that goes behind the ear, with custom molds for the part that goes in the ear. Honestly, to me they look so modern that when I had seen them on people in the past, I thought they were bluetooth earphones, not hearing aids!

And you can't beat the prices at Costco. Amazing. The best warranty of any place in our area. You can lengthen the warranty if you charge to their Costco credit card and get cash back. All free visits to go back and service the aids. Cheap batteries. So many good things.

It makes me so sad to see people give up too quickly on their hearing aids. I blame the audiologists/technicians/doctors for not giving better service and explaining how important it is to improve your hearing. Or else it is too easy to sleep into depression... and dementia.
Excellent points. My thinking is that the brain also will be exposed to new things suddenly, which may cause side effects.I also dont see doctors prescribing a progressive hearing increase. The brain is working in certain way for years and I am not sure how it will adapt to a sudden and extreme change in surroundings.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:14 AM

1,635 posts, read 563,626 times
Five years ago I experienced SSHL (Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss) in one ear, resulting in 80% hearing loss. I'd had occasional temporary mild tinnitus in that ear for a couple of decades and the medical jury is still out as to whether one is connected to the other. I'm fortunate in that my remaining tinnitus is of the "constant whooshing" type rather than the high pitched whine, whistle or squeal that many other sufferers have.

My ENT explained that traditional hearing aids and cochlear implants don't do anything for unilateral SSHL and the only type that offers some improvement to some people is the bone-anchored kind, in which device is implanted into the skull. Even if Medicare covered it and/or I had the money for that, I couldn't bring myself to have my skull drilled into. Most cases of SSHL are unilateral.

Having tinnitus complicates the issue because I have to be protective of both ears. If I'm exposed to a loud environment it will worsen the tinnitus in the bad ear and trigger it in the good one because any increased sound volume -- either environmental or close-to-ear --makes that condition worse. I no longer go to movie theatres or concerts or plays (not that I was a regular at any of those but it would have been nice to have seen the Moody Blues during their 50th Anniversary Tour this year...)

Old 10-25-2018, 12:14 PM

1,700 posts, read 751,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I am not retired, but want to know what type of hearing aid will be beneficial for some one with profound hearing loss in one ear. Will the hearing aid send the sound to the other ear or will it increase the decibels on the affected ear??
Depends on how much or how little hearing you have in the affected ear.

I'm completely deaf on my right side due to a tumor and have about a 25% deficiency in the left year.

My hearing aids are the CROS (Contra Lateral Routing of Signal) on the right side and a regular hearing aid on the left.

The CROS brings in sound from the right and transmits it to the left ear while the left hearing aid amplifies and enhances the sound so my brain thinks I am hearing from both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Honestly, the technology for the fundamentals of hearing aids has NOT transformed dramatically in the last few years. They want you to think it has so you go back and by more (overpriced) hearing aids.

I disagree. I get a new set every three years from the VA and I time it to coincide with the latest release from the hearing aid manufacturer (Phonak).

There was a significant improvement with the second generation of the product and the improvement of the third generation over the second generation was like, WOW.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:55 PM

10,511 posts, read 8,758,289 times
I suffer from Otosclerosis. I had my ears operated on in the early 2000s, but as the doctor told me the operation (stapedectomy) only delays the disease and eventually my hearing worsened, and I to get hearing aids. I've been using top-of-the line Siemens and they work pretty well. I'm due for an update pretty soon. The biggest issues I have with them involve replacing the cups and filters, but otherwise, they work great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement