U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 08:47 PM

518 posts, read 705,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
Good post. Some really important points made here.

Even with hearing aids that are properly set up and adjusted, it is still possible to struggle hearing people. Some people just have a vocal tone that is very difficult for those of us who wear hearing aids. Some people have accents that make it difficult to make out what they are saying. And many people speak with a low volume -- that is difficult as well for us to hear.

Finally, for me cellphones are an enemy. An ENT doctor told me that telephone companies use algorithms that compress the signal, and that is why it is difficult for me to hear people on the cell phone when using my hearing aids.
My husband avoids talking on the phone. I usually have to be the messenger when he canít avoid it. He uses Skype and FaceTime when possible .....he needs to see the person heís talking with.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 09:18 PM

4,121 posts, read 4,694,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
My husbands loss is the higher frequencies so Iím hoping the newer technology will help him. Thank you.
How does your implant work? Are you happy with it?
I love my Cochlear Implant. My hearing loss is profound, to the point I am basically deaf. Well over 100dB loss. So a hearing aid just wasn't doing the job. I was implanted ten years ago, and it has changed my life. Restored my ability to be a part of society.

An implant is a bionic ear. They surgically implant a device in your cochlea that stimulates your auditory nerve, like a normal hearing person. You wear an external device also, similar to a hearing aid, that captures the sounds, and transmits it inside. One of the great benefits of a CI is that it works on ALL frequencies. So I regained not only my hearing, but high frequencies as well. I can hear clocks tick, dogs walking on floors, birds tweeting.

It's not perfect, but it is much better than a hearing aid.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:18 PM

13 posts, read 3,919 times
I recently bought a set of Phonak hearing aids from Costco. Still trying to get a comfortable fit, but love the fact they have bluetooth technology that allows me to receive phone calls directly into my ear. Also bought a TV device that allows the TV sound to go directly into my ear. No longer need to turn volume up so loud it drove my husband crazy. Bilateral severe to profound hearing loss according to audiologist.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:20 AM

10,673 posts, read 21,348,205 times
Quote:
My husbands loss is the higher frequencies so I’m hoping the newer technology will help him. Thank you.
I can't believe no one has suggested miracle ear other then me. This is all they do. As I said, my hub saw a few places, he said their product was superior to anywhere else. He does it all with his cell phone thru an app. You really should get a few opinions. People liked Costco too. My hub didn't care for an audiologists product.

His hearing aids aren't here to see if there's a brand on them, will ask when he gets back from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Try making an appointment at a miracle ear to see if they have anything to offer him. My hub saw a few places, ended up going with them. They do a lot of follow up and make sure he keeps his appointments.

Last edited by Roselvr; 10-27-2018 at 03:29 AM..

Old 10-27-2018, 08:07 AM

5,769 posts, read 4,830,089 times
I read somewhere that simple basic hearing aids are actually going to start being available over the counter, sold in drug stores for a couple hundred bucks. Obviously they aren't going to be perfectly tune-able to individual hearing loss like the ones from the audiologist, but for the many people with no insurance coverage and unable to pay several thousand, basic amplification will help them rejoin the conversation. I don't know when this is supposed to happen, but for low income folks it could be a game changer and may drive prices lower on the high-priced manufacturers. Seems like I heard that it would be within a year.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I read somewhere that simple basic hearing aids are actually going to start being available over the counter, sold in drug stores for a couple hundred bucks. Obviously they aren't going to be perfectly tune-able to individual hearing loss like the ones from the audiologist, but for the many people with no insurance coverage and unable to pay several thousand, basic amplification will help them rejoin the conversation. I don't know when this is supposed to happen, but for low income folks it could be a game changer and may drive prices lower on the high-priced manufacturers. Seems like I heard that it would be within a year.
Yes I heard this too...on CBS Sunday morning program

Old 10-27-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I can't believe no one has suggested miracle ear other then me. This is all they do. As I said, my hub saw a few places, he said their product was superior to anywhere else. He does it all with his cell phone thru an app. You really should get a few opinions. People liked Costco too. My hub didn't care for an audiologists product.

His hearing aids aren't here to see if there's a brand on them, will ask when he gets back from work
Never heard of miracle ear but will check it out. Thanks very much

Last edited by whitelotus; 10-27-2018 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-27-2018, 10:37 AM

10,673 posts, read 21,348,205 times
Quote:
Never heard of miracle ear but will check it out. Thanks very much
Website

Products

Last edited by Roselvr; 10-27-2018 at 10:57 AM..

Old 10-27-2018, 12:45 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,013,910 times
Default Submarine warfare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Also OP $7500 for one hearing aid is ridiculous.

A top of the line Siemans is roughly $2200. So you may want to get a few quotes next time.

Another thing is the Siemans comes with a setting for loud background environments such as restaurants, bars etc. You can click the button and it cancels all that out.
If this is the same Siemens that designs submarine listening devices, I'm in!!
As other posters noted, you have to understand no matter the price what is going on with your ears.

My artist brother and I wore RELIGIOUSLY full time ear protection in shop and const. outdoors, but have "zone" hearing loss. I realized a few years ago in a snowstorm howl that I was auto reading LIPS without realizing it, for years on site. It's beginning to look like our type of hearing loss is genetic.

There are now out noise cancelling ear protection I bought for dad. Not cheap: from 80 to 180. dollars. Worth it. The grey ones are low profile. People think you're listening to music and don't bother you. You might need THAT as well!

I've also noticed like Jack Nicholson in "Werewolf" that my OTHER SENSES are coming to the fore to make up for the loss?? My sense of smell is getting really acute, at an age I expected to fail. My sense of taste is actually improving. (or my early onset dementia is fooling me!)

Work out what works for you, but don't spend 7,500. finding out you don't need it. What a cash grab.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:59 PM

28,237 posts, read 39,884,966 times
Quote:
My husbands loss is the higher frequencies so I’m hoping the newer technology will help him. Thank you.
My eight year-old (or so) aids "translate" high frequency sounds for me.

Two glaring (loud? lol) examples:

Sitting on the deck in spring with them in. Birds. BIRDS. BIRDS!!!! Holy cow are they loud! I mentioned it to my wife and she told me they always are. I just couldn't hear them. Oh.

MacDonald's drive through. Got some change and shook it a little to settle the coins before putting it in the change tray. What was that sound? Shook them again. Same sound. I separated the change and figured out it was two quarters.

I hadn't heard quarter "sounds" for a long time.

Music changed. For the better.

For me the reason I don't hear those sounds is because I always hear those sounds. My loss is due to tinnitus in both ears. The sounds come to me, but since I always hear that range of sound it doesn't register. At least that's how I look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement