U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 02:18 AM

605 posts, read 188,541 times

Advertisements

Thanks for that clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 09:39 AM

509 posts, read 354,013 times
I learned a few things Suze but I tend to read everything on personal finance I can get my hands on and then incorporate different ideas into my plan.

However, I lost every ounce of respect for her a few years ago when she said that student loans should be able to be discharged in bankruptcy. Since then her opinions mean absolutely nothing to me.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:25 AM

1,362 posts, read 765,884 times
I noticed that PBS Newshour had a segment on Mr Money Mustache last night. Not the usual News-bite that spends less than a minute on the Subject.....actually pretty informative.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy...ple-who-did-it

Old 10-26-2018, 04:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I noticed that PBS Newshour had a segment on Mr Money Mustache last night. Not the usual News-bite that spends less than a minute on the Subject.....actually pretty informative.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy...ple-who-did-it
MMM is VERY despised on C-D 'Retirement' forum, but I have respect for ANYONE who actually DID it! (takes initiative and risk!, doesn't sit well with those HERE who followed the PLAN... That is OK too... just succeed! and assist others who do so! win:win)

Want to retire by 40? Here’s advice from people who did it

Thus the cowboy adage... "You are either MAKIN' Dust... or EAT'n IT!"

Go blaze a new trail! Spread your learning's. (for free or blog... doesn't matter once you have 'achieved')

Old 10-26-2018, 04:19 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,401,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
MMM is VERY despised on C-D 'Retirement' forum, but I have respect for ANYONE who actually DID it! (takes initiative and risk!, doesn't sit well with those HERE who followed the PLAN... That is OK too... just succeed! and assist others who do so! win:win)

Want to retire by 40? Here’s advice from people who did it

Thus the cowboy adage... "You are either MAKIN' Dust... or EAT'n IT!"

Go blaze a new trail! Spread your learning's. (for free or blog... doesn't matter once you have 'achieved')

I don't think there is disgust, or at least not from me. But I do wish they would give full disclosure. MM makes it sound like it's all so easy.

look at the video.

Hummm, built his own house. oh yeah because we all have the capability to do that.
scavenges fruit off of trees and the ground. I absolutely don't want to do that.
second hand furniture.

Now the next problem is that this is for the long haul. while I do appreciate a good bargain do I want to decorate my entire house in thrift shop chic? absolutely not.

they always make it sound like "oh just cut your cable and get rid of your car and you too can retire at 40"

for me it's all about choices. One favorite mantra is the "move to a cheaper place to live area". Yeah been there done that, got the anti depression medication from hating it.

So yes I made the decion to keep working because I love living on the East coast near NYC, I want to retire near the beach (lol, or I did before I got a gander at florida after Michael) that comes with a cost.

Yes I understand the "time" component but IMO having free time to live a life you don't really like isn't saying much.

if I had the choice to do it again. would I do it again to stop working at 40? giving up the things I truly love? nah, I like my plan

Old 10-26-2018, 08:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I don't think there is disgust, or at least not from me. But I do wish they would give full disclosure. MM makes it sound like it's all so easy.

look at the video.

Hummm, built his own house. oh yeah because we all have the capability to do that.
scavenges fruit off of trees and the ground. I absolutely don't want to do that.
second hand furniture.
if I had the choice to do it again. would I do it again to stop working at 40? giving up the things I truly love? nah, I like my plan
OK... you like your plan..
And you don't desire / have the know how to enjoy HIS style life!

then you are not a MMM, great! Full disclosure is very helpful.

some (many ) of us..

have built all our houses (several times)
Furniture..... build it too.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:05 AM

5,619 posts, read 8,548,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
MMM doesn't sell anything. He only has his website

Suze Orman is the exact opposite. She is 100% a salesman
He sells.

He's selling the illusion of his lifestyle.

I say illusion because he works. (See previous comment.)

Even his acounting. He goes out to eat and pays for it with his "business income money" and doesn't count it.... An nd talks about cooking at home.

Not blaming him for doing it... I did the same thing when I was working.
Just hiding it.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:31 AM

12,295 posts, read 15,187,836 times
I read an article about MMM in Kiplingers. OK, that's a rich folks magazine. But he seems much more reasonable than Suze Orman. Not trying to sell you high priced products or insist you have to be a millionaire. Though some of his tactics seem extreme. For example he loves his bike, spending only $150 on gas last year.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:51 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
MMM doesn't sell anything. He only has his website

Suze Orman is the exact opposite. She is 100% a salesman
Have you ever paid money to get Suze Orman's message? I haven't.
Have you ever paid money to get MMM's message? I haven't.

They both make money off their brand. Saying someone who gets tens of millions of clicks on their website isn't selling something is just naive.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:38 PM

8,835 posts, read 5,123,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
second hand furniture.
Well, re-modeled. But yes, he had a business venture for a few years pre-retirement wherein he and a partner built some homes for re-sale. (Apparently, he would work all day at his software engineer job then work evenings and weekends doing construction). And, he occasionally does things like help someone put on a new roof (for pay or not).

And, that is one of his philosophies. You can learn to do stuff for yourself and not pay someone else to do it. Of course, not all of us want to learn to build houses.

But the thing is, you aren't required to adopt his entire life philosophy. It's perfectly OK to take what works for you and leave the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement