U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving or not moving in retirement
Not moving and happy. 24 20.17%
Not moving (canít afford) and unhappy 2 1.68%
Moved and happy. 57 47.90%
Moved and not happy/have regrets 4 3.36%
Canít decide whether to move or not. 32 26.89%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 10:26 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,168,131 times

Advertisements

I'm heading to the Midwest, as soon as I can put together a plan. I'm widowed (two years) and I have children in the Midwest.

The East Coast just has too many people. I'm weary of the tunnels and bridges and tolls and congestion. Yes, I'm near Virginia Beach (about 40 minutes from the ocean front), but try to get there in the summer? Oh boy, it's not going to happen!

I'm a little concerned about the winters, but I have the ability to travel south if I get too cold.

Thing is, I'm constantly flying OUT to the Midwest to visit family members. I think it'll be a lot easier to just live out there!

Thanks for this thread. The posts are all very interesting!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 11:19 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,527,824 times
Also enjoyed the poll as it was interesting to see just how many had moved and whether they regretted the move or not. I did not vote because I want to move but have not moved yet. My 60 year old house is too large and expensive to maintain. And I want to get away from the hot southwestern summers to a slightly cooler climate and live by family. But the beautiful Oregon town where my sister lives and where I planned to retire has become very expensive and has recently experienced some unpleasant summers and winters. So you might say I am having second thoughts. This first year of retirement, I chose to travel and work on improving my health but will have to buckle down next year and get my home ready for sale.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:59 AM

4,687 posts, read 5,539,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
Moved two months after retiring. Left the big city (DC metro area) to live in a very small town in a remote area. Very happy, seven years in. Know I might have to move to the nearest slightly larger town if frail health ever sets in, but have contingency plans for that, and in the meantime cherish living my dream.
My wife and I retired in 2008, and elected to stay in place for a while. That was in Northern Virginia, about 30 miles south of DC. It was the most comfortable decision at the time. But I had always wanted to live on a lake in Maine, and the more we talked about it, the more attractive it looked.

We needed to get some work done on the VA house to ensure a good price and quick sale. The renovations worked - more than list price and it sold in 10 days. As soon as we put that house on the market, we started our home search in Maine. It took a couple of days and ten houses, but the 10th house was almost exactly what we were looking for. What it lacked - a garage - we're putting in next year. We moved here four years ago.

It's a small town - I've never lived in a small town before, and wasn't sure if I'd like it, but it's been wonderful - great neighbors. And it's on a really nice lake.

It wasn't the easiest thing my wife and I have ever done ... moving from a place we had lived for 30 years, and all the people and places we knew. On the other hand, when you live on a lake in Maine, friends and family like to visit, and this summer we had more than 20 visitors, with most staying for longer than just overnight. And that's been a LOT of fun.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:53 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,448,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Husband wanted to move south from the Chicago area but I was happy there. We ended up in coastal NC and I hate it. I developed bad allergies and asthma and cannot tolerate the humidity. In addition, our insurance costs are so high they outweigh lower property taxes. I need 4 seasons and at least a few progressive people and itís not down here.
Above is Exhibit One about why a good strategy is to rent for a year prior to committing to a new location.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:55 AM

36 posts, read 11,782 times
Quote:
Husband wanted to move south from the Chicago area but I was happy there. We ended up in coastal NC and I hate it. I developed bad allergies and asthma and cannot tolerate the humidity. In addition, our insurance costs are so high they outweigh lower property taxes. I need 4 seasons and at least a few progressive people and itís not down here.
What do you mean by progressive people?

Old 10-27-2018, 09:27 AM

7,266 posts, read 4,150,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
What do you mean by progressive people?

Democrats.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:40 PM

999 posts, read 388,231 times
Quote:
So where did you settle?

Old 10-28-2018, 05:29 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,073,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Democrats.
Not necessarily.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:48 AM

34 posts, read 22,706 times
Moved and Happy. Fortunately, both hubby and I love our retirement home and nearby village. We retired and left South Jersey 4 years ago and moved into our vacation cottage in upstate NY. It is a five hour drive to head south to visit family. Although we live in a rural area, we are close to many tourist locations, so family and friends visit us all summer long. (We have vacation campers set up on the property for them to stay in. :-)

Old 10-28-2018, 07:41 AM

512 posts, read 633,170 times
I couldn't vote since I'm in the planning to move camp. We mostly like where we live now, but there's no way we can afford to live here once I retire. Unfortunately, retirement is roughly 8 years away, but we'll make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement