U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving or not moving in retirement
Not moving and happy. 24 20.17%
Not moving (canít afford) and unhappy 2 1.68%
Moved and happy. 57 47.90%
Moved and not happy/have regrets 4 3.36%
Canít decide whether to move or not. 32 26.89%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:00 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,152,796 times

Advertisements

After 4 days, the poll now has 105 votes:

Not moving and happy. 21 20.00%
Not moving (can’t afford) and unhappy 2 1.90%
Moved and happy. 53 50.48%
Moved and not happy/have regrets 4 3.81%
Can’t decide whether to move or not. 25 23.81%

As I had expected, a large majority of responders here (~50%) moved in retirement. This is definitely much higher rate than in real life. One article which I found indicated a senior migration rate of about 5%. Of the 70 or so friends/acquaintances whom I know in New York, only 6 moved in retirement (8.6%) which is higher than the national average. This could be due to the higher cost of living and harsher winter condition than many other regions. Many people came or stayed in NY for high tech/high salary jobs. Some moved to a lower COL and milder climate in retirement. Of the 6 people/couple who had moved, 3 of them still have children and relatives in the area so family ties are not always a deciding factor.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/06/most...head-here.html

When I setup the poll, I had the option to close the poll within a certain number of days or leave it open. I chose the second option so that people who are considering moving can vote and/or post their experience after the move.

Since I was first in category 5 (on the fence) then category 1 (not moving and happy) and now in category 3 (moved and happy) and not in the dreaded 4 (moving and not happy), many of the responses resonate very well with me.

There are many general pros and cons reasons for either staying put or relocating in retirement:

Relocation Pros:
- Better climate.
- Cheaper cost of living
- Better day-to-day living condition
- More or new opportunities for one’s hobbies or pursuits.
- More suitable location (health care, transportation etc.)
- A change in life experience, new or do-it-over opportunities.
- To be close (or away!) from relatives

Relocation Cons (or pros for staying put)
- Moving expenses
- Moving hassles and associated demanding tasks.
- Having to reestablish personal/business relationships
- Leaving established relationships, favorite places etc.
- No or fewer surprises (climate, living condition etc.)

Like the ~24% of ‘on-the-fence’ responders, it was very difficult for us to decide whether to commit to relocation. We listed all the pros and cons of moving to a certain place but there are always tradeoffs and no places were ‘perfect’. Even with all the available online information, it was still difficult to determine a simple question like “Would it be cheaper to live there?” when taking into account all cost factors (property tax, income tax, sales tax, utility bills, housing cost, food/gas cost etc.).

I would like to thank all participants in this thread. Your answers are and will be very valuable to folks like me who came to CD for information.

I wish all the wannabees movers a lot of luck in finding a happier or better place/home to live in retirement. I think the statistics are in your favor based on the responses in this poll. Only 4 out 57 movers or 7% were unhappy with their moves.

I also hope that people who wanted to move but could not will find ways to fulfill your wishes.

I wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavors.

We have been very lucky in our move. I marvel all day at the natural beauty surrounded us. I wake up every day counting my blessing for having almost everything on my relocation wish list especially the number 1 item of being near my daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 11:10 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,523,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Husband wanted to move south from the Chicago area but I was happy there. We ended up in coastal NC and I hate it. I developed bad allergies and asthma and cannot tolerate the humidity. In addition, our insurance costs are so high they outweigh lower property taxes. I need 4 seasons and at least a few progressive people and it’s not down here.
This happened to my sisters who moved in retirement to Dallas from SoCal. "Couldn't wait" to escape all the horrors of CA but are pretty unhappy with TX, due to weather, and extreme political difference. Now what, LOL?

Old 10-28-2018, 03:23 PM

4,619 posts, read 4,456,526 times
Bella, we've "talked", so you know my circumstances/situation. I'll relate a few thoughts here for others and for those seeking. I moved upon retirement and am happy with my new location. It was a long, long process deciding where to go. I made use of the data side of City-Data for several years before I even knew there was a City-Data Forum.

I did not have family or spouse to consider, so in a way, a lot of variables didn't need to be considered while new possibilities presented themselves. There were two main reasons for wanting to relocate, and I honestly can't say which was a the more important factor. One being the cost-of-living, the other the political climate and continuing trends.

It took me a half-year to self move and I've been here for right at a year now. There are not enough electrons in the universe of cyber space to relate all the good points and advantages of where I landed, and can only identify one negative, that being the length of the daylight hours during the winter.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-28-2018, 06:26 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,336,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Husband wanted to move south from the Chicago area but I was happy there. We ended up in coastal NC and I hate it. I developed bad allergies and asthma and cannot tolerate the humidity. In addition, our insurance costs are so high they outweigh lower property taxes. I need 4 seasons and at least a few progressive people and itís not down here.
I feel for you. Everyone doesn't have to think alike, but it must be hard to be the only one.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:51 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,012,496 times
Where is the selection for "Moving"?

Old 10-29-2018, 08:20 AM

5,937 posts, read 5,293,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
This happened to my sisters who moved in retirement to Dallas from SoCal. "Couldn't wait" to escape all the horrors of CA but are pretty unhappy with TX, due to weather, and extreme political difference. Now what, LOL?
Weather and politics are the easiest things to check out about an area. I guess your sisters didn't put much thought into their decision.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:35 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
I could tolerate living in my current location better if I was retired.

The big dealbreaker for me is the isolation from other areas. If I wasn't working 8-5, that would be less of an issue.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:13 PM

256 posts, read 153,752 times
I really want to move very much, but cannot get started. I have done all the research and have leads on homes to buy or rent and an agent but I hesitate--fear of all the work involved and finding new doctors.
I tire very easily and become despondent. I need tangible motivation--or therapy???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement