U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 06:41 PM

4,381 posts, read 1,663,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I remember when bringing a pocket calculator to school (well, using it anyway) was a huge no-no. When my son told me in the late 1980s that he needed a calculator as part of his school supplies I was honestly surprised, and asked "They let kids use those things in class?" LOL

Wow, if I'd been allowed to use a calculator I might actually have squeaked by Basic Math in 9th grade with more than a very charitable 65.
How many of you have ever seen a slide-rule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 08:38 PM

665 posts, read 198,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Do other Generation X people feel like there maybe isn't really a sense of magic anymore for kids??

I just wonder, and it worries me because I wish my kids could have the memories of that kind of sensation and wonderment that I had a child.

They have all this stuff that it seems like they (And we) all just take for granted. Amazing technology in electronics and crazy special effects in movies and I just wonder if it leaves nothing to the imagination of a child.

Whereas WE were amazed by the effects in Close Encounters and Star Wars and things like that, which when you watch them now in 2018, are almost laughable...much the way in the seventies we used to think those old black and white sci-fi films from the 40s and 50s were so hokey, with the spacecraft that were so obviously painted balloons and models on a string and actual smoke puffing out from behind to illustrate which direction it was going and what not. Just so hokey because it was so low-tech. And the people who saw THOSE films as a kid probably thought "OMG I'm watching aliens on a screen in a movie theater, this is amazing! I wonder if Mars really looks that way?" And they'd go home and read their collection of Edgar Rice Burrough novels about John Carter of Mars and Barsoomia and let their minds wander to thoughts of large-breasted Martian maidens, wearing, as the covers of the books promised, somewhat scandalous garments.

LOL.
I've watched films like The Goonies, Stand By Me, E.T., and similar movies with those under age eighteen; what amazed the kids with whom I was watching the movies wasn't the special effects, but the sheer freedom of movement that the protagonists were allowed by their parents.

Parental over-supervision (enforced largely via peer pressure) coupled with the general lack of imagination, desire to be outdoors and to create one's own adventures of the today's average child is why I'm glad that I was raised in the late seventies through the mid-nineties. Judging from the parenting experiences of my small-town and country friends, country kids still have a reasonable amount of freedom comparable to what my siblings, friends, and I had when we were growing up. Affluent suburban kids, not as nearly as much. The city kids tend to be a mixed bag here in Pittsburgh--largely depending upon neighborhood and/or socio-economic level.

I'm also glad that their is very little, if any, photographic evidence of the hijinks that my friends and I got up to "back in the day."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or