U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 05:35 PM

8,412 posts, read 9,162,606 times

Advertisements

Let’s see, the IRS issued four arrest warrants on me last month. The Chase will freeze my (closed for two year) acct if I don’t verify my personal information. I don’t think so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 05:43 PM

6,314 posts, read 4,760,180 times
The sad thing about all of this is the total incompetence of the Federal government in dealing with these types of scams and fraud. The "Do Not Call" list is just a joke or at least the Federal governments enforcement is a joke. I and all the friends I have mentioned this issue to can confirm a large barrage of scam calls regardless of the listing.

I guess I should not be surprised. The older I get, the more I realize the incompetence of the government.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:59 PM

1,694 posts, read 581,526 times
I've been on the so-called Do Not Call list for years and I still get at least a half dozen spam calls per day, which of course I don't pick up. But every once in a while one of them will leave a robocall voicemail message OR a spam text message, usually claiming that Chase Bank's collection agency has reached the end of its patience with me and the next step, if I don't call them immediately, will be a lawsuit.

Which is pretty funny because I've never dealt with Chase Bank in any way, shape or form in my entire life, LOL

Old 10-26-2018, 06:19 PM

8,412 posts, read 9,162,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The sad thing about all of this is the total incompetence of the Federal government in dealing with these types of scams and fraud. The "Do Not Call" list is just a joke or at least the Federal governments enforcement is a joke. I and all the friends I have mentioned this issue to can confirm a large barrage of scam calls regardless of the listing.

I guess I should not be surprised. The older I get, the more I realize the incompetence of the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I've been on the so-called Do Not Call list for years and I still get at least a half dozen spam calls per day, which of course I don't pick up. But every once in a while one of them will leave a robocall voicemail message OR a spam text message, usually claiming that Chase Bank's collection agency has reached the end of its patience with me and the next step, if I don't call them immediately, will be a lawsuit.

Which is pretty funny because I've never dealt with Chase Bank in any way, shape or form in my entire life, LOL
Its not the gov’t fault. The fraudsters have technology that bypasses the Do Not Call lists. I get “local calls” that are fake. It’s called spoofing.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:20 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,649,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Is it stupidity?
Is it dementia?
Are people who were born in the 1930s just too trusting?

Correlates of Susceptibility to Scams in Older Adults Without Dementia
"Susceptibility was positively associated with age and negatively associated with income, cognition, psychological well being, social support, and literacy. Fully adjusted models indicated that older age and lower levels of cognitive function, decreased psychological well-being, and lower literacy in particular may be markers of susceptibility to financial victimization in old age."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3916958/
I guess I fit the category, born 1937. I rather enjoy the scam calls. I actually don't think age has anything to do with it. People that are slow when they are young are slow when they get old.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:39 PM

120 posts, read 123,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I have a voice mail today "You have four serious felonies against your record, the IRS military swat team is on the way to arrest you in a military prison van. You must call ……… in 5 minutes or face a serious law enforcement in home with guns.

I'm making waffles. Might put a pot of coffee on for the guys too.

There's also the one about failing to answer a jury duty summons.

[mod cut - rude to 50% of our members]
Not for nothing, but my first husband was the one to clean out our bank account.
Works both ways. Has nothing to do with what your gender is. An a*****e is an a*****e

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 10-27-2018 at 05:36 AM..

Old 10-26-2018, 07:11 PM

2,701 posts, read 1,775,290 times
So my neighbor, having gotten the ‘grandson in trouble’ call several times before, was ready when she got another one.

She swears this is how is went;

Hi Grandma, it’s your grandson.
Well, well, I finally get another phone call from you.
Grandma, I’m in a little trouble. I need money.
Look, last time you called, I sent you the money to make your problem ‘go away’. I’m not going to risk prison just because you can’t control yourself around your hookers. Where is the body this time?

Click.

I hope they call me soon!

Old 10-26-2018, 07:16 PM

9,419 posts, read 6,288,189 times
I don't know if this is available nationally, but Cincinnati Bell has a free service.

Hit *99 and you get a prompt to have all callers hit 8 if not a telemarketer.

We did this 4 months ago and went from 20+ calls/day to a total of 2 calls in 4 months

Old 10-26-2018, 10:33 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,773,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

Well, maybe there's a lesson in that. Don't depend on the government to be your common sense. Most people are perfectly capable of understanding what a scam is and don't fall for them.

I'm not usually one to beat the 'smaller government' drum, but sometimes I really do think a person should be able to look out for himself and this is one of those times.

Having said all that, why don't I ever get any fun scam calls?

Old 10-26-2018, 11:06 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,697,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Let’s see, the IRS issued four arrest warrants on me last month. The Chase will freeze my (closed for two year) acct if I don’t verify my personal information. I don’t think so
Ah yes, the government imposter scams mentioned in the article. I've seen some hilarious youtube videos where people who spot the scam immediately start recording their interactions with the scammers, and one of my favorites was a sheriff who got one of the fake IRS calls. He acted all worried and concerned and strung them along for awhile to waste their time, and when they threatened to call the sheriff to arrest him if he didn't fork over the money right away, he said, "Well, I AM the sheriff, and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to arrest myself." CLICK! There was another video by a CPA who was clearly a poor target.

My friend got the "We're from Microsoft and your computer is infected with a serious virus" call, so she recorded her playing with the caller, pretending to do all the things on her computer he asked her to. He got more and more frustrated with her as she played dumb and acted like she was having trouble following his instructions. Finally, at one point, he asks, "Now what do you see on your screen?" and she said, "Well, all I see now is a picture of some cute kittens," which led to a profanity-laced tirade.

Oh, and it's always funny how the phone scammers with heavy Indian accents introduce themselves with such ordinary American names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement