U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 09:03 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,680,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Since I actually answered my phone the issue was resolved within a minute or so. Have you ever tried calling a governmental entity back after they left a message? Good luck with that. You'll have to spend some time explaining why you're calling. Then you'll get transferred. Then you have to explain everything all over again. And then you get transferred again. Been there, done that. It takes about three or four individuals before you get the right person.

You are so right about this! And sometimes you never are able to get through to anyone even after all of those transfers and being on hold for over an hour.

When I had a landline I would tell telemarketers that I don't accept solicitations over the phone and to remove my name and phone number from their list. By the time I gave up my landline I hardly ever received a telemarketing call. Now that we use smart phones exclusively we hardly even get telemarketing or scam/spam calls.

You are very lucky that you don't get these calls on your cell phone. I get them all the time on both my landline and on my cell. And I do mean ALL the time! I get an average of 10 or more spam/scam/robo calls every single day. Ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 02:23 PM

3,995 posts, read 3,217,430 times
My cell phone has the option to mute all calls except those in my address book. My voice mail is full, so no one can leave a message. Anyone who needs to get hold of me can text me. Thats all I answer. Ive looked at my phone before and seen 5 or 6 missed calls that I didnt even have to hear. Works great for me.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:45 PM

56,029 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Is it stupidity?
Is it dementia?
Are people who were born in the 1930s just too trusting?

Correlates of Susceptibility to Scams in Older Adults Without Dementia
"Susceptibility was positively associated with age and negatively associated with income, cognition, psychological well being, social support, and literacy. Fully adjusted models indicated that older age and lower levels of cognitive function, decreased psychological well-being, and lower literacy in particular may be markers of susceptibility to financial victimization in old age."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3916958/
I lean toward "lower literacy". There are people who don't know what's going on beyond the borders of their yards or small towns. People who read know more overall.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:41 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,342,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
At least there is caller ID. If I don't know the person making the call, I simply don't answer. After they hang up, I put their number on auto-block which sends to voicemail. If they don't leave a voice mail, I leave the number blocked, and don't have to deal with them ever again.
Problem is, your phone will fill up with a long list of blocked numbers. The scammers use a different "calling from" number everytime they dial. You can't track back to them.

Also, I find if I don't answer they just keep calling back. Again. And Again. And Again...

Old 10-29-2018, 06:55 AM

10,203 posts, read 12,245,054 times
Who answers the phone anymore?

Unknown caller, toll free numbers you don't recognize, area codes you don't know.......all go straight to voicemail

Old 10-29-2018, 07:24 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,698,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Nobody ever calls you on the phone or knocks at your front door to give you a good deal.

I'm not home. Ever.
THIS!!! Tried to tell my extremely gullible FIL this many times. He fell for numerous scams. Was buying some tile at Home Depot and this random guy convinced him he could remodel the bathroom. $6000 later, sure new tile, unfinished raw wood doorframe, toilet that wasn't properly affixed to the floor..I could go on. Then when he passed away, we discovered not one but two second mortgages on his house. By some guy that rang the door bell! We were able to have those "removed" as the company in question had numerous complaints with the state senior crimes people..or whatever they were called. Said company then tried to say we were responsible for the money..till my lawyer called. Well it was just me, but all those years in drama class AND pre law paid off!

Old 10-29-2018, 01:21 PM

16 posts, read 5,314 times
Years ago, my mother seen on the news that criminals were stealing financial information from computers. I was visiting her one day and noticed her Old (dust collector) computer was in the corner not plugged into the wall. I questioned her as to why it was in the corner not plugged in, thinking she wanted me to get rid of it. She responded that she unplugged it when the news told her that criminals were stealing financial information from computers.

What made this funny, she NEVER used her computer for things like that. The only use her computer ever had was solitaire games. No Internet, no WIFI access, no nothing.

She allowed me to get rid of it, because in her mind simply owning a computer meant they would take all her money, and she wasn't going to risk it. After all, the news would not report it, if it wasn't true.

I work in the computer industry and tried to calm her fears...but the news had her scared and she was afraid of it.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:04 AM

12,480 posts, read 4,220,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I always answer my phone, that's what I have one for. The last unknown number I answered was the Division of Elections telling me my absentee ballot had been returned. Now I have my ballot and will be able to vote. An unknown number doesn't fill me with terror. If it's a spam or scam call, I'm a big boy and I deal with it. I've never understood this aversion to answering a call from an unknown number. What did people do before caller ID and answering machines?
90% of the time a phone call to my home phone is from a telemarketer. I think it's easy to see why I would choose not to pick up the phone.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:10 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,028,857 times
I can't believe so many people ignore calls on their phones. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water! There are perfectly legitimate calls that you won't get. What about the companies or stores you do business with? That service provider who needs to contact you because they can't find your house? Not every one you know or do business with is going to be in your contacts list, and if you ignore unknown numbers, you will miss those calls.

It really is simple to let calls roll to voicemail and listen later. Or, crazy idea, hang up when you realize it's a telemarketer or scammer. What have you wasted -- 5 seconds?

Old 10-30-2018, 10:19 AM

213 posts, read 73,664 times
I think the phone companies, more than the government are at fault. It really isn't hard to have software that detects a phone line that is spoofing other numbers, or calling numerous other numbers in a short time span. Look at the bank industry, if it detects unusual activity on your card, it notifies you. Not too much difference. Same as when a phone is stolen, it is easy for the phone companies to disable that particular phone (in their system) from making any calls, but they don't. It would solve a lot of problems, and reduce crime even, but think of the loss of revenue, and the phone companies have fought against any legislation to require this.

Unless I know the number calling me, I do not answer. They can leave a message if they really want to get a hold of me. I have the new Google phone with the new scam answering software (or whatever it is called). Got to say, it does work well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement