U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 02:42 PM

9,357 posts, read 6,251,862 times

Advertisements

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/...ent/index.html

Words of wisdom for any age group.

Be careful my friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 03:29 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,173,557 times
They just tried to scam my in-laws yesterday. Someone called saying they were from their reverse mortgage company telling them they were going to foreclose on them if they didn’t pay 200k within 24 hours. They got all upset and we had to run over there to get it straightened out. My wife called their mortgage company and verified it wasn’t them. After she got off the phone her parents told us that they had given the callers their loan number. I told them they need to call the mortgage company back and let them know that, so they could possibly change the account number.

I called them this afternoon, and of course they hadn’t called the mortgage company yet. I hope I don’t get that stupid when I get to be their age(80s).

Old 10-26-2018, 03:40 PM

14,022 posts, read 20,330,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I hope I donít get that stupid when I get to be their age(80s).
Is it stupidity?
Is it dementia?
Are people who were born in the 1930s just too trusting?

Correlates of Susceptibility to Scams in Older Adults Without Dementia
"Susceptibility was positively associated with age and negatively associated with income, cognition, psychological well being, social support, and literacy. Fully adjusted models indicated that older age and lower levels of cognitive function, decreased psychological well-being, and lower literacy in particular may be markers of susceptibility to financial victimization in old age."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3916958/

Old 10-26-2018, 03:44 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,401,499 times
ooh ooh ooh. I got the "kid in trouble" call. what's really sad about these things is that, they usually fall apart after a few questions.

Guy called my mother in law and I picked up, tried saying my middle kid was in trouble in Canada. supposedly him and friends had a hotel bill they could not pay.

I said, "wow that's interesting, he has an American express card so he shouldn't have any trouble paying his bill"

fake hotel staff: "I think they said the card was declined".
Me "really because the card is on my account, he's an authorized user so there is no way the card should have been declined".
fake hotel staff: "oh can you give me the card information".
Me: "what you think I'm stuck on stupid? how about you give my the hotel name and I'll call amex myself"
Fake hotel staff: click.....
me: "hello, hello" yeah that's what I thought.

thanks for the information. I told my mother in law that if anyone ever calls her about any of her grandkids, she is to immediately hang up and call me or her daughter. Don't answer any questions just hang up and call us.

people are sick.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:49 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,341,203 times
I had a phone call today from a company called "Microsoft BlahBlahNotUnderstandable" who said my new computer was paid for but the company was going out of business and had to refund my money. Just call this number...

Yeah right. A company going out of business giving refunds for items already delivered.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:59 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,341,203 times
That one in the article about gift cards caught me by surprise. They say to only buy cards that are packaged, so scammers can't copy the number or scratch-off code before you buy it.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:32 PM

11,083 posts, read 12,464,975 times
I have a voice mail today "You have four serious felonies against your record, the IRS military swat team is on the way to arrest you in a military prison van. You must call ……… in 5 minutes or face a serious law enforcement in home with guns.

I'm making waffles. Might put a pot of coffee on for the guys too.

There's also the one about failing to answer a jury duty summons.

[mod cut - rude to 50% of our members]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 10-27-2018 at 05:34 AM..

Old 10-26-2018, 04:51 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,437,287 times
I got a the "grandchild in trouble" call not long ago.

Scammer: "Hello Grandma. This is your favorite grandson. I need help."

Me: "Really? Kevin? You sound so different."

S: "I have a cold."

M: "I never heard of a cold causing a native speaker of English to acquire a South Asian accent."

Click.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:53 PM

16,343 posts, read 10,331,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post

[mod cut - rude to 50% of our members]

Being of the female persuasion, I respectfully point out the same could be said about some men.

I feel deprived. The only ones I've gotten are the ones offering to pay off my student loans. My telling them they're about 35 yrs too late pretty much ends the conversation.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 10-27-2018 at 05:35 AM..

Old 10-26-2018, 05:21 PM

362 posts, read 227,659 times
Well most of those would be embarrassing and cost you some money but Ruin your Retirement? Not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement