U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 08:19 PM

2,905 posts, read 1,585,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
It seems reasonable then to budget $3 per meal there, or $9 a day. Thanks!
I've heard it's cheaper for expats to eat out every meal at local non-tourist spots than it would be for them to cook for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 09:06 PM

429 posts, read 332,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
It seems reasonable then to budget $3 per meal there, or $9 a day. Thanks!
Yes, it is doable but eating cheap food day after day gets old fast. I like to budget $20usd per day, per person to eat well and enjoy life.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I've heard it's cheaper for expats to eat out every meal at local non-tourist spots than it would be for them to cook for themselves.
We prefer this ^^^ The variety is huge, and a lot of fun (not boring like cooking at home!) A lot of the fun is learning to discuss food and fun with the locals (who know very little English in back-country Thailand). There may only be 3 - 4 different customers / night in some of these small rural cafes. Leading to LOTS of free time to laugh with and enjoy the locals! They get so they will cook special things for us (not on menu) just to try them out.

I am amazed that the dogs and chickens lay around together! (Guess they both realize they may be 'lunch' someday.) My farm dog never chummed up with my chickens, tho he knew not to chase / eat them.

The locals really get to expecting us for meals, and we try to 'pass-around' our $$. If we get bored (unlikely) and want something different... a 5-10 min scooter ride will get you to the next village.

Locals who have large families will often have a mini restaurant just to feed the neighborhood! One of my co-workers had a neighbor that made the BEST shrimp dishes on Thursday nights. Friday was All-You-Can-Eat BBQ in the next town. Saturday was local fresh / street market with multitude of food choices (all day and all night) .

No sense cooking (tho occasionally we do). For $3-$5... I would rather subsidize the local chefs. I could never be as creative as these local places. !

BTW: we still do the same in Singapore (local food courts) ~ S$3 - $4 will get you a small entree. Variety is plentiful (Get 2 - 3 and share them). Even the commercial food courts are only $5 - $6 with Air Con! and forks and 'western' stuff like that. DW INSISTED that we do that when living in SGP with small kids! who wants to shop, cook and heat up the flat when you can get great food for S$3!

Old 02-05-2019, 12:22 AM

2,905 posts, read 1,585,473 times
Here's an example of what kind of meal you might get for $3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oo1RVhT-7o

Old 02-05-2019, 12:46 AM

653 posts, read 582,148 times
I went to a job interview in a factory for a U.S. golf club grips company in Guangdong, Southern China about 8 years ago. They had the job opening because this American plant manager was going to retire (he was about 50) and move with his Thai wife back to Thailand. He and the wife bought land which had a small man made pond. He loved hanging out on his farm which has this pond stocked with fish. We was a little odd, but seemed like a decent guy.

Wouldn't be my kind of lifestyle, but everyone is different. I think the constant heat with the weather and temps almost never changing would bother me the most, not to mention the bugs and lizards.

Dengue Fever is the real deal. My wife got it two years ago here in Southern China. It knocked the hell out of here, and its a very serious thing. Parts of the summer we now sleep with nets over our beds.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Here's an example of what kind of meal you might get for $3.
If you can get that for $3 in Pattaya, you can imagine what it costs in 99.999% of the rest of Thailand (not Pattaya!)

For the life of me I cannot imagine why an expat (or anyone) would go to Thailand and then visit Pattaya!
Must be the correct place for some? plenty go there.

Rode on a flight with a 20's something gal from Holland who's FA Mom (now retired) bought and fixed up an unfinished hotel in Namsai Beach (South of Pattaya) . She got a 2 fer one (2 uncompleted hotels next to each other). Turned out very nice and a good revenue machine to subsidize retirement. Of course the quality of help / workers / service is extraordinary (if you treat them right). So 'mom' was living the good life! and DD was off to Hong Kong for a photo shoot for an advertising company, then on her way to Dubai for a FA interview with Emirates (very, very strict code of employment, very, very tough to get a position).

Hope she did well, Hope to see her on a flight soon!

Old 02-05-2019, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I went to a job interview in a factory for a U.S. golf club grips company in Guangdong, Southern China about 8 years ago. They had the job opening because this American plant manager was going to retire (he was about 50) and move with his Thai wife back to Thailand. He and the wife bought land which had a small man made pond. He loved hanging out on his farm which has this pond stocked with fish. We was a little odd, but seemed like a decent guy.

Many co-workers (in Thailand but from from Taiwan) had Thai wives (and Taiwan wife, and China wife...) Seems expensive to me, but my Singapore Taxi Driver said his Vietnam wife only costs him $100 / month and comes with a home and motorbike! He flies to Vietnam 1 weekend a month to see her (But probably more to drink with his buddies). Seems pretty sad, but I am not of that culture.

My tailor / scooter rental / cafe / laundry owner guy in Thailand is from Afghanistan and has a Thai family (with adult kids and grandkids) and a wife and adult kid family (+ grandkids) in Saskatchewan (as he has had for 40 yrs). He is a very devote Christian and we have interesting and insightful conversations.

You meet all kinds when you get out and about!.

Philippines was the sad story (All the gals lined up at airport to meet their western 'internet partners'. Many we talked with had several on the string. (We were volunteering in a vocational school for adult (male and female) victims of 'body' trade). Their partners seemed kind, but that isn't very genuine.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:44 AM

12,687 posts, read 14,071,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
....I agree about the culture being too different. I love Thai food, but I would never want to live there. Interesting place to visit, but there's no place like home.
"Home" is an idea/feeling in my head, not a place....I guess for me it is like a plant, there are numerous places it might grow, and it might die in one place and spring to life in another. I could never return to the U.S. even though I was born there and lived the first sixty-some years there, because I would have to leave what has now become my home.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:40 AM

429 posts, read 332,617 times
The main issue for retirement in Thailand now is the requirement of having 800,000 THB($26,000 USD) in a Thai Bank account or income of 65,000 THB($2100 USD) per month.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:43 AM

13,216 posts, read 6,320,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post

Wouldn't be my kind of lifestyle, but everyone is different. I think the constant heat with the weather and temps almost never changing would bother me the most, not to mention the bugs and lizards.

Dengue Fever is the real deal. My wife got it two years ago here in Southern China. It knocked the hell out of here, and its a very serious thing. Parts of the summer we now sleep with nets over our beds.
I worry about Dengue Fever, I’ve been researching my trip to Japan and Southeast Asia, your comment scares me. Is there anything we can do before our trip to prevent this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement