U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 PM

653 posts, read 582,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
We're not going to go into that stupid stereotype of Thailand as Sex Inc now are we?

I realize that for folks that don't travel & rely on gossip & hearsay & movies for info that is simply the ignorant attitude they hold. I remember as a kid Sweden was then looked at as a hotbed of wild & lacivisicous orgies & portrayed as home to wild women constantly in movies & by comedians.
Wild & crazy Sweden... I still have most of my family in Europe & they are appalled at the US as hotbed of gun massacres & ridiculous health insurance schemes & conmen as politicians, a barely socialized society populated mostly by the morbidly obese.

Are there nuggets of truth to all of these? Perhaps, but can't the finger-wagging ignorance & prejudice be contained as the rest of us adults try to brainstorm about retirement alternatives?
You sound angry. Why not leave the U.S. if you dislike it so much.

You can move to Europe with the rest of your family living in paradise where the politicians aren't corrupt and everyone is well-mannered and in great shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 10:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Interesting. So everything we hear about the sex trade in Bangkok is just rumor?

And the unattractive men I am acquainted with who like to hang out there are just going for the food or scenery?...
and the USA?

Pretty kinky too...

Amsterdam?

Old 02-07-2019, 11:12 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,132,331 times
Quote:
Interesting. So everything we hear about the sex trade in Bangkok is just rumor?

And the unattractive men I am acquainted with who like to hang out there are just going for the food or scenery?

And to tag onto my last post: I guess if men didn't pay for sex, they would just go around raping more. Because men are the rapists - there is no disputing that - and there is no backlash from other non-rapist men against the rapists. "It's all good," apparently!

I've been to Thailand a number of times with the military. We park the airplane at U-Tapoa Air Base and stay at Pattaya. The US Government apparently thinks there is a lot of sex tourism going on. I saw a large 6' x 4' sidewalk sign that stated that any US citizen engaging in underage sex can and will be prosecuted in the US.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,132,331 times
Quote:
We're not going to go into that stupid stereotype of Thailand as Sex Inc now are we?

I realize that for folks that don't travel & rely on gossip & hearsay & movies for info that is simply the ignorant attitude they hold. I remember as a kid Sweden was then looked at as a hotbed of wild & lacivisicous orgies & portrayed as home to wild women constantly in movies & by comedians.
Wild & crazy Sweden... I still have most of my family in Europe & they are appalled at the US as hotbed of gun massacres & ridiculous health insurance schemes & conmen as politicians, a barely socialized society populated mostly by the morbidly obese.

Are there nuggets of truth to all of these? Perhaps, but can't the finger-wagging ignorance & prejudice be contained as the rest of us adults try to brainstorm about retirement alternatives?

Ask your Swedish relatives about the moslem hordes that have taken over cities like Malmo. Ask them about the no-go zones there. I have to wonder if they'll be honest or if you'll just get that deer-in-the-headlights look.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:48 PM

2,906 posts, read 1,585,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Ask your Swedish relatives about the moslem hordes that have taken over cities like Malmo. Ask them about the no-go zones there. I have to wonder if they'll be honest or if you'll just get that deer-in-the-headlights look.
Lol.... I don't have any relatives in Sweden...

But to get back to the subject of the thread, the OP was commenting on the "movie cliche" of the drunken expat going to ruin in Siam. Sure, if one is personally unmoored & given to the drink or drugs bad things will happen but that isn't country specific or applies to most expats. I'm sure AlaskaErik can tell us about the rates of alcoholism in Alaska, it's pretty legendary & my time up there didn't dispel that at all but that was simply not representative of the typical Alaskan by any means. But if a convo about Alaska kept returning to stereotypes about drunks & Eskimos in igloos by folks who never went there ....

Alaskans are almost like domestic expats in a way, it is the end of the road, far away from the lower 48 & not terribly unlike what we are talking about, only by degree really. It also attracts an "outside the box" personality.

I think a real reason for concern could be the fragile government structure in TH, I believe it leads the world in coups with the military & the police & the political parties always vying for power, sometimes violently. And just now hot off the press the leading party is putting forward the king's sister for Prime Minister, & the new king is pretty much a partying playboy unlike the previous king who was revered & kept the society together. This was another reason why I was leary about staying there, it's a volatile potential situation.

Last edited by Hefe; 02-08-2019 at 12:20 AM..

Old 02-08-2019, 01:12 AM

26,085 posts, read 28,490,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
As for the health care sure it's inexpensive but this is not like dental work in Mexico. Retirement means aging bodies and that means health care and there is not a chance the health care in Thailand can compare to what is available in the United States.
You can always cherry pick examples to support this POV, but I think it's mostly delusional. In America, the thing that's really killing us is the unhealthy lifestyle and garbage for food, which is why we have so much diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer. If you avoid the whole bar girl/prostitution thing in Thailand, the lifestyle over there (mostly the food) is much, much, healthier than what we eat in the U.S.

Americans just don't get that good health doesn't come from health care after you get sick. It primarily comes from the food you put in your mouth, close relationships, exercise, and sense of purpose in life. The world's healthiest populations actually use very little health care (see Dan Buettner's Blue Zones books).

Yeah, we say we understand all of the above, but most people vastly underestimate the importance of those factors. Instead, they want to put it all on genetics.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-08-2019 at 01:54 AM..

Old 02-08-2019, 01:52 AM

26,085 posts, read 28,490,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
You sound angry. Why not leave the U.S. if you dislike it so much.

You can move to Europe with the rest of your family living in paradise where the politicians aren't corrupt and everyone is well-mannered and in great shape.
Eh, actually you sound angry/defensive. Hefe did point out similar exaggerated stereotypes his fellow Europeans have of Americans.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:11 AM

1,696 posts, read 610,929 times
Quote:

And the unattractive men I am acquainted with who like to hang out there are just going for the food or scenery?

And to tag onto my last post: I guess if men didn't pay for sex, they would just go around raping more. Because men are the rapists - there is no disputing that - and there is no backlash from other non-rapist men against the rapists. "It's all good," apparently!

Well, if someone is looking hard for sex trade, I am sure one can find it in Thailand or in Iowa or anywhere, but to a regular person who is not looking for that, who is not frequenting a very limited number of "special" bars in very small areas that comprise less than 0.000001% of Bangkok, sex trade is not in any way apparent in that city. The "stories" probably describe something that is indeed going on in the deep underground of the city, but you will not encounter it unless you actively search for it.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:26 AM

7,980 posts, read 3,462,732 times
No thanks, Iíll stay right in the US. It must be torture to be in a country looking for someone you have something in common with and someone you can communicate with. The grass isnít any greener on the other side. Sorry.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:47 AM

12,687 posts, read 14,071,402 times
Quote:
We're not going to go into that stupid stereotype of Thailand as Sex Inc now are we?....
Yes, stereotypes abound everywhere. Just read the Brexit thread in the UK subforum and you will "learn" that the EU is a realm of barbarians attacking their sacred homeland, etc., etc.

I'll add my bit to the supply of Thai stereotypes. The only Americans I have met or been acquainted with who went to Thailand went to study Buddhism, or in the case of two older people, because they already practiced Buddhism and had found a quiet, affordable place to retire in after visiting a few times.

So, if you have sex-madden guys who go to boink in one pan of the balance, there are at least some religiously inclined folks in the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement