U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 05:32 AM

5,953 posts, read 2,895,036 times

Advertisements

Also = I was thinking of this thread when walking and took a picture of one of the most annoying things about living in Thailand, the sidewalks. It's often very difficult to make it any distance walking without needing to go into the street to go around an obstacle. This could be something of the government's doing (like a phone booth that blocks the way), other people parking scooters/cars in a manner that blocks it, or like below where people just decide the sidewalks belongs to them since in front of their place. In this pic it's likely those plants were put there because people ride their scooters on the sidewalk to go opposite on a one-way street, but obviously that impedes the walkway.

Shops are really bad about it, they have limited space so want that sidewalk as well. They'll slowly creep their way out putting more and more stuff in the way until finally they have the entire sidewalk as part of their shop, effectively adding 20% to the size of their store. Every once in a while there is some crack down and they'll all retreat for awhile, then the cycle begins anew and they start creeping out again.

It's not that big a deal for me but you're an older retiree that has problems maneuvering up and down curbs into passing traffic it's a potential issue since the outside lane often has scooters passing recklessly on the side of cars.

An older pic we took with an example of store front creep:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 05:34 AM

1,722 posts, read 613,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
It is an unfortunate aspect of the CD forums that people who have no interest, personal experience or knowledge in/of a topic feel the compelled to join in and actively participate the discussion. This is particularly true of the foreign retirement threads.

I have little interest in retiring in Thailand but have curiosity about options for retiring abroad - and have found the experiences shared by those who have retired or lived in Thailand or have considered doing so very helpful. There are pluses and minuses, which may tally differently for different people or even for the same person at different times in life. The only relevant posts are those eliciting or providing perspectives on the pluses or minuses from an informed and/or interested position.

It is a drag to have to trawl through the opinions on prostitution and drinking (happen everywhere), completely misinformed opinions on healthcare options abroad, and so on. And, I wish one did not hear from ”I’d never consider retiring there and how much better things are home are” on the threads on retiring abroad. While that is a perfectly good position to hold, what those folks are doing on the threads one retiring abroad beyond wasting time is anyone’s guess.

Speaking for ourselves, we will most likely retire in the USA but will evaluate options abroad as well. Having seen a bit of the world, we know that there will be trade-offs in all locations, including staying home, and hope we can understand them and make informed decisions for ourselves.

Okay, the "completely misinformed opinion on healthcare" I guess was in my direction. My intention to go to Thailand if I ever need total care is strong enough that I have already made a tentative plan with a Thai provider of such care, and worked out everything for a potential emergent situation (meaning basically a paralytic stroke), but I just do not see a way to inexpensively insure a person over 70 in Thailand. I told you of the only applicable insurance I was able to find that would cover a person into indefinite age - ie, Cigna travel insurance, which unfortunately is NOT expat resident insurance for Thailand only, but a comprehensive travel insurance). If you know of expat resident insurance offered for Thailand for people older than 70 (except BUPA, which requires you to take their insurance by the age of 61 at the latest, in order to maybe consider insuring you after 70, and has been known to drop older people on a very short notice) - so, if you know of expat health insurance in Thailand that reliably covers people as long as they live, independent of age, please share that information. Which company exactly? Name and rates?

Old 02-10-2019, 05:48 AM

On the prostitution thing, clearly there are prostitutes in Thailand just as there are in any country.

However the only prostitute I've seen lately was on a street corner in Vientiane, Laos when my wife and I were doing a visa run. Clearly one can live in Thailand without having interactions with prostitutes or the sex trade.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:04 AM

466 posts, read 427,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Okay, the "completely misinformed opinion on healthcare" I guess was in my direction. ...
Sorry to disappoint you, it was not directed at you! Yours was a perfectly valid question eliciting more information that related to Thailand.

PS: I might be the only one to have responded to your original query, but you likely missed it in the deluge of responses of varying relevance. I cannot find it myself! Precisely the point I was making... What I said was that if you google 'ex-pat medical insurance in Thailand', you find a number of options that seem to be reasonably priced....

Old 02-10-2019, 07:16 AM

466 posts, read 427,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
On the prostitution thing, clearly there are prostitutes in Thailand just as there are in any country.

However the only prostitute I've seen lately was on a street corner in Vientiane, Laos when my wife and I were doing a visa run. Clearly one can live in Thailand without having interactions with prostitutes or the sex trade.
Thanks for sharing. I did not know that Laos has a bigger issue.

Prostitution in Thailand is well known. It is legal in most northern European countries and a tourism driver to Amsterdam and so on. It is definitely an important fact to know for anyone interested in retiring / visiting there as it might influence their decision (positively or negatively). The personal opinions (appreciation or disgust) on prostitution or those who partake in it are not terribly interesting or useful...

Old 02-10-2019, 07:19 AM

1,722 posts, read 613,897 times
Quote:
Sorry to disappoint you, it was not directed at you! Yours was a perfectly valid question eliciting more information that related to Thailand.

PS: I might be the only one to have responded to your original query, but you likely missed it in the deluge of responses of varying relevance. I cannot find it myself! Precisely the point I was making... What I said was that if you google 'ex-pat medical insurance in Thailand', you find a number of options that seem to be reasonably priced....

... but unfortunately NOT applicable after age 70.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:23 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,073,079 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I did not know that Laos has a bigger issue.

Prostitution in Thailand is well known. It is legal in most northern European countries and a tourism driver to Amsterdam and so on. It is definitely an important fact to know for anyone interested in retiring / visiting there as it might influence their decision (positively or negatively). The personal opinions (appreciation or disgust) on prostitution or those who partake in it are not terribly interesting or useful...
I am against foreign affairs. A person can have an affair right here in the USA.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:55 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,589,162 times
The miniscule sidewalks in Cebu was one of the factors for me to quickly lose interest in the Philippines despite the lovely people (there were plenty more factors for me though).

I often thought when in Thailand that if I had to manage life in a wheelchair in later years I would end up not wanting to venture too far past my door, in essence be house/condo-complex bound. Even walking them as an able bodied is an adventure....& in the floods of the rainy season Not a dealbreaker in itself but one of the factors to put in the "negative" column.
Attached Thumbnails
The perils of retirement in Thailand-screen-shot-2019-02-10-2.00.35  

Old 02-10-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
in the Philippines despite the lovely people
Warmest people in Asia by far IMO.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:21 PM

660 posts, read 583,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Warmest people in Asia by far IMO.

Totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement