U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,526 posts, read 39,903,732 times

Advertisements

They sing a lot also,,, (Pretty happy bunch!) and pleasant to be around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 07:37 PM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
American Bar flies are easy prey in foreign countries
Not hard to spot either

Old 02-11-2019, 04:27 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,067,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Warmest people in Asia by far IMO.
I don't think the temperature gets below freezing too often so they would be warmer people

Old 02-13-2019, 07:12 AM

5,917 posts, read 2,883,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
American Bar flies are easy prey in foreign countries
Not hard to spot either
I confess I have difficulty, they all look pretty much the same but lots of times when close enough you hear Brit or Aussie accents. I don't know how you can tell the American ones easily visually.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,526 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
I confess I have difficulty, they all look pretty much the same but lots of times when close enough you hear Brit or Aussie accents. I don't know how you can tell the American ones easily visually.
not definitive, but possibly... (?)
  1. Eating with Fork in the right hand ?
  2. Wearing 'original owner' Nike's (rather than second hand store Keds (or Asia equivalent) / or leather loafers)
  3. 'Love Handles' hanging out all over the place... (the typical Holiday Inn customer)
  4. Feasting their eyes on the Thin / Skinny guys and dolls (As if they had not seen someone in great physical shape for the last 30 yrs)
  5. Eating sweets for Breakfast
  6. PROUDLY wearing a MAGA hat

Old 02-13-2019, 04:52 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,527,506 times
Quote:
Is the swagger. our sense of personal space

honestly you can spot an American a mile off by the way we move. and our size. but must agree there may be some overlap with the Brits/Aussies looks wise.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:14 PM

5,917 posts, read 2,883,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
not definitive, but possibly... (?)
  1. Eating with Fork in the right hand ?
  2. Wearing 'original owner' Nike's (rather than second hand store Keds (or Asia equivalent) / or leather loafers)
  3. 'Love Handles' hanging out all over the place... (the typical Holiday Inn customer)
  4. Feasting their eyes on the Thin / Skinny guys and dolls (As if they had not seen someone in great physical shape for the last 30 yrs)
  5. Eating sweets for Breakfast
  6. PROUDLY wearing a MAGA hat
1. Good point on the American fork/knife switcheroo, but most bar flies are just drinking and in Thailand even when eating rarely with a knife.
2-5. No real difference between Americans/Brits/Aussies
6. This would be an easy way to tell but I've never seen one overseas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Is the swagger. our sense of personal space

honestly you can spot an American a mile off by the way we move. and our size. but must agree there may be some overlap with the Brits/Aussies looks wise.
There are cultural differences with personal space but they are a lot more apparent between westerners and, say folks from the Middle East or India. I submit someone sitting on a bar stool has indistinguishable personal space characteristics whether they are American/Brit/Aussie. Size is silly too, you can't see three white dudes sitting at a bar and declare the fattest one is the American, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ody_mass_index the mean male BMI for Americans vs. Brits is 28.8 versus 27.5, you seriously thinking that is enough of a difference to know who's who in the bar at a glance?

Pffft on swagger there is a swagger level up/down the scale across all of them, some median swagger level judged from physical behavior could never be applied to discern nationality with any measure of accuracy given that variance. In other words, there plenty of over-the-top Aussies and plenty of timid Americans, enough to where it's useless as a barometer.

I don't doubt some people are better at picking out nationalities but most of what you guys are mentioning is guesswork that would barely be better than randomness. Best way is to hear them speaking, or if you're around long enough you know which bars are the hangouts of which folks since they tend to cluster. IMO best way to tell without hearing them talk is if they happen to be wearing clothing or tattoos specific to a country, something like a "Melbourne 10k" or "United States Marine Corps" shirt does the trick.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:30 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,012,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
i don't think the temperature gets below freezing too often so they would be warmer people
rofl

Old 02-14-2019, 09:50 AM

2,755 posts, read 5,319,685 times
Quote:
Exactly, self-destructive behavior is a problem with certain people not certain countries. If you took those blokes from the bar stools in the farang-row and put them back in the USA they'd be at the corner bar up the street doing the same thing, and if funds made the difference they'd instead be sitting alone in their house worshipping their 30 pack of Bush Lite.
Facts....

Old 02-14-2019, 10:09 AM

2,755 posts, read 5,319,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
LOL You sound more like the life of a good party.

Honestly however, living overseas isn't all that people make it up to be. It can certainly be lonely, even with a spouse or family with you. Not speaking the local language, I couldn't even imagine. Even when you can speak the local language, there are cultural differences and such. Its not like moving from the East Coast of the U.S. and you can take up a conversation with the locals in Spain or Italy on what your currently watching on Netflix or if they caught the Yankees game the other night.

You need to be passionate about the place your moving to, the local customs, language, culture or something that you have an interest in, instead of just moving and running away from your problems at home.
Well said...My intent is to maintain a residence here in the U.S. and travel back and forth to various parts of the world versus a permanent relocation to a specified destination.

I've seen people navigate the obstacles of an absolute and final move abroad with great success and some not so successful. But in all honesty and speaking only for me, I would rather have some semblance of a permanent home to come back to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement