Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 01:58 PM

10,998 posts, read 6,542,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
American Bar flies are easy prey in foreign countries
Not hard to spot either
Uh oh. We're going out tonight to a bar for V-Day with our friends. We better keep an eye out.

And the Canadians are prolific here and look just like us!

Oh yeah, and the grass IS greener here too, coming from SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 02:11 PM

5,231 posts, read 3,570,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Uh oh. We're going out tonight to a bar for V-Day with our friends. We better keep an eye out.

And the Canadians are prolific here and look just like us!

Oh yeah, and the grass IS greener here too, coming from SoCal.
Maybe not.... many of the States are in the process of legalizing marijuana now & momentum is growing. A sign of the times? The former Republican Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives John Boehner is now a spokesman for a marijuana company with cropland ready to grow in 11 states.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:42 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,423,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Maybe not.... many of the States are in the process of legalizing marijuana now & momentum is growing. A sign of the times? The former Republican Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives John Boehner is now a spokesman for a marijuana company with cropland ready to grow in 11 states.
Money talks, all of a sudden the GOP is pro-weed...

Old 02-14-2019, 04:58 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,500,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yep, some sharp-eyed expert would have noticed your swagger, sense of personal space, and size thus immediately seizing the opportunity to cull the easy prey Americans from the Canadians of the pack. This might be even easier if the Canadians are wearing ice hockey jerseys or ordering Canadian bacon on their pizza.

I expect you'll have a local wife who's already asking for extra money to help her sick Uncle by this time next Wednesday.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:20 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,197,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yep, some sharp-eyed expert would have noticed your swagger, sense of personal space, and size thus immediately seizing the opportunity to cull the easy prey Americans from the Canadians of the pack. This might be even easier if the Canadians are wearing ice hockey jerseys or ordering Canadian bacon on their pizza.

I expect you'll have a local wife who's already asking for extra money to help her sick Uncle by this time next Wednesday.
HAHA Ice hockey jerseys.....

Old 02-15-2019, 12:45 AM

557 posts, read 335,344 times
Fun reading all these stories. What about government/police corruption in other countries? I’ve read enough stories about bureaucrats who demand bribes to do anything and police that can do a whole lot worse to you. At least in America, that is extremely rare. How are the local police? Where I live, a 911 called is answered in a minute and no one is demanding bribes. You have actual rights and lawyers and court. Ambulances race down my street with military precision. Hospitals are required to treat anyone that walks into the emergency room.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:20 PM

10,998 posts, read 6,542,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Fun reading all these stories. What about government/police corruption in other countries? I’ve read enough stories about bureaucrats who demand bribes to do anything and police that can do a whole lot worse to you. At least in America, that is extremely rare. How are the local police? Where I live, a 911 called is answered in a minute and no one is demanding bribes. You have actual rights and lawyers and court. Ambulances race down my street with military precision. Hospitals are required to treat anyone that walks into the emergency room.
Everyone has health care here. An ambulance raced down the street after being called on 911 within minutes, when I dislocated my hip. I was rushed right in to a private clinic and taken care of for NO cost other than our $80 monthly plan (for both of us).

Interestingly, despite some poverty here, there are no homeless. I have not dealt with the police, but there seems to be plenty of them. Not experienced any bribes...though I've heard about them.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,602 posts, read 57,579,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
HAHA Ice hockey jerseys.....
The SERIOUS ones also have a few missing teeth!

Old 02-15-2019, 06:21 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,500,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
In Thailand there is police corruption but not so in-your-face like the cliche of cops demanding bribes from hapless tourists traveling across Mexico. Most tourists who pay money to cops are the ones getting caught in the traffic checkpoints when they don't have the license needed for the scooter they rented, but that's on them for breaking the law and it's not like just targeting tourists they suck up everyone going by and the line of people paying fines is mostly Thais. It's also not bribes, they get a yellow citation slip as a keepsake of their vacation.

There might be bribes required for building permits, owning a business, etc. but I'm not really sure we just rent an apartment and have never tried to open a business. Had no problem setting up any of the services.

Police do come when called, and are surprisingly patient with foreigners communicating with google translate. Laws are different though, Thais are very "live and let live" attitude so don't expect much help if you call police on a neighbor who's decided to open a karaoke bar in his back yard that runs until 2:00 am. Criminal justice system is a mess. While healthcare is pretty good, the ambulances suck compared to USA. Hospitals aren't required to treat anyone but they probably would treat any foreigner who walked in, although they might end up without a passport until they paid.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:02 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,197,247 times
Yeah, in China as well, ambulances are horrible. It might take 15 or 20 minutes to arrive if you have a medical emergency at your home. Say a heart attack or something really serious, and chances are you may not make it. I was walking to work one day and an older Chinese guy fell down and had a heart attack right on the sidewalk. Many people crowded around and I waited for about 15 minutes and still no police or an ambulance showed up after a passerby called it in.

There just isn't the same sense of urgency or care in many Asian countries (developing) when it comes to dealing with emergency medical situations. Its like they don't really care that much, nor take it all that serious. I've seen them at the hospital a couple of times get into the ambulance after receiving a call, and it was pretty pathetic. It was like they were going out for a ride around town. Perhaps it depends on the call and the seriousness of it. The whole ambulance thing is one of the major concerns I have in living old in a developing country in Asia.

As for police corruption, you NEVER would see it in China. Never see cash, or gifts or anything like that. There is corruption, but they are very smart about it and it doesnt happen on small matters, only big ones in regards to the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement