U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2018, 09:30 AM
 
2,575 posts, read 4,690,699 times
Reputation: 6378

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You don't have to go that far for medical tourism, a 16 hour flight from L.A. on Thai Air to Bangkok!

Tijuana has a medical tourism facility in the Zona Rio area, the Angeles Hospital, and they're geared up to do anything. The Orthopedist I saw there told me a number of Canadians go there for hip/knee replacements.
I realize that, but the OP was about Thailand and many people posted that they would worry about medical care living there.

I have several friends in southern CA who go to Mexico for dental work. Much cheaper and just as good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2018, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Central New Jersey
2,387 posts, read 911,090 times
Reputation: 4219
This can happen anywhere in any country.
The ones that fail are the ones that allow themselves to fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 09:38 AM
 
2,067 posts, read 598,252 times
Reputation: 2923
I'm confused, how are they homeless and broke when the S.S. check keeps coming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
7,654 posts, read 4,699,473 times
Reputation: 27978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I'm confused, how are they homeless and broke when the S.S. check keeps coming?
Perhaps they had big gaps in their employment history. Perhaps that's part of the reason they go to Thailand in the first place: to make the most out of a small SS check.

I know someone who lives in a rent-controlled apt in California who, to my knowledge, has never held a job. He sells stuff that his relatives give him and they provide him with other things as well. Even though Thailand and the beach life sounds perfect for him, I don't think he'll be able to afford even that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 11:57 AM
 
Location: equator
3,436 posts, read 1,531,248 times
Reputation: 8533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
The fly in the ointment for retiring abroad for most Americans would be..... HEALTH INSURANCE.

By the time many people are in their 50s, they have at least a pre-existing condition or two which would make qualifying for international health insurance very difficult.

Medicare also won't cover you if you live overseas.

So what happens if you get cancer or have a heart attack abroad without insurance? You're in deep doo-doo.
In more evolved countries, "pre-existing conditions" is not even a thing. There are no health checks to go through; simply sign up for the national plan. Here in Ecuador, we pay $80 a month for both of us (age 63). We've both been through the system and it is just fine. Care is every bit as good for a fraction of the price. No co-pays; no deductibles.

Savvy travelers get traveler insurance, which we do when we return to the U.S. or go to Europe. If you retire here, health insurance is required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
6,105 posts, read 1,829,738 times
Reputation: 8673
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
I was reading an article in the doctor's office the other day. It was about Americans who are lured by the promise of comfortable retirement on a Social Security check, in Thailand. Many, it seems, fall prey to the tourist bar life and quickly squander their monthly checks, become alcoholics and get evicted from their rentals.
How do you squander a social security check?

I've been to thailand numerous times, there are plenty of western ex-pat retirees doing just fine.There's only a very small few who end up homeless after blowing their entire nest egg

To think Thailand is exclusive to any other country where a retiree can blow his money or that medical insurance or costs would be high is hilarious.

The entire POINT of moving to thailand is due to its cheap cost of living, tropic weather, exotic culture, and cheap healthcare costs. Yeah there's young women looking for a payday man to marry if you want it, but that's not what thailand is about. The bar scene is only a very small part of Thailand exclusive to tourist destinations/big cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
So what happens if you get cancer or have a heart attack abroad without insurance? You're in deep doo-doo.
What happens if you get cancer or have a heart attack in America without insurance?


Believe it or not, gasp, there are health insurance policies for ex-par retirees. I know, what a crazy concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My last visit to Bangkok in 2004, in July, was a complete disaster.
Who the hell goes to Bangkok to retire?

Chang Mai is where a lot of folks go, or Pattaya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 01:40 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,907 posts, read 1,586,973 times
Reputation: 7951
I actually considered Thailand for retirement for a while before nixing the idea. It does have several advantages for folks with a limited budget & an adventurous nature. First & foremost is financial - someone with only $1K monthly income can live a very acceptable & fine altho modest life. Someone with more money can roughly multiply 3X their net worth once they move there & live quite well in a modern tolerant nation that is a hub for regional travel.

There are pretty large Western expat centers in at least Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya, Hua Hin & each has their own character much as The Villages, Las Vegas, Tucson & the Ozarks are reasonable financially but different "cultures" for retirees. The health care is mostly first rate, American trained board certified physicians in the cities, but they typically are cash. The costs are so low though that I have heard of guys having heart surgery, cash first, for less than it would cost in the US with coverage. One can also get international insurance.

The sex tourism is a thing but old dudes with only SS will have to find a real partner soon unless they want to go broke quick, some "older" & uneducated country women (probably with a kid or two) hook up with them for security that is probably impossible to find elsewhere. I think they figure they will outlive the old duffer & have his money for their old age. (I understand the real sex tourism is actually along the border towns by highways with truckers mostly from China.)

There is some tiny percentage of dead-enders that just drink themselves to death or homelessness... some have "accidents" from high-rise condos. But most are fine. I found Hua Hin & Chiang Mai to be hospitable for couples & even single women & lots of younger people are flocking to Chiang Mai in recent years.

I finally decided that hot & humid isn't my first choice & financially things are OK for elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 05:36 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,940 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Reputation: 11361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
In more evolved countries, "pre-existing conditions" is not even a thing.
Ruh? I thought there were still health insurance policies with pre-existing exclusions in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Central Illinois -
21,561 posts, read 14,362,527 times
Reputation: 14693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I actually considered Thailand for retirement for a while before nixing the idea. It does have several advantages for folks with a limited budget & an adventurous nature. First & foremost is financial - someone with only $1K monthly income can live a very acceptable & fine altho modest life. Someone with more money can roughly multiply 3X their net worth once they move there & live quite well in a modern tolerant nation that is a hub for regional travel.

There are pretty large Western expat centers in at least Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya, Hua Hin & each has their own character much as The Villages, Las Vegas, Tucson & the Ozarks are reasonable financially but different "cultures" for retirees. The health care is mostly first rate, American trained board certified physicians in the cities, but they typically are cash. The costs are so low though that I have heard of guys having heart surgery, cash first, for less than it would cost in the US with coverage. One can also get international insurance.

The sex tourism is a thing but old dudes with only SS will have to find a real partner soon unless they want to go broke quick, some "older" & uneducated country women (probably with a kid or two) hook up with them for security that is probably impossible to find elsewhere. I think they figure they will outlive the old duffer & have his money for their old age. (I understand the real sex tourism is actually along the border towns by highways with truckers mostly from China.)

There is some tiny percentage of dead-enders that just drink themselves to death or homelessness... some have "accidents" from high-rise condos. But most are fine. I found Hua Hin & Chiang Mai to be hospitable for couples & even single women & lots of younger people are flocking to Chiang Mai in recent years.

I finally decided that hot & humid isn't my first choice & financially things are OK for elsewhere.
That's great info, thanks for sharing that. I've long thought the same thing and am seriously considering a move there myself in the next couple of years. I know my money will last over there, but I don't know whether or not I'll end up homesick and the culture will not be agreeable enough for the long term. There is only one way to find out, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 06:54 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,940 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Reputation: 11361
odanny it's a lot easier to be social these days because the internet makes it possible to discover groups or activities that suit you. In Chiang Mai there are all kinds of organizations that do everything from meet for lunch to chat, hiking in the hills around the city, investment clubs, foodie stuff, board games, etc. There is also volunteer stuff like helping get soi dogs sterilized, treated, and adopted.

My wife often goes to some over-40s expat ladies group that meets in some park where they walk then get coffee, I call it the menopause club which irritates her. I attend a language exchange every Saturday where I get to speak Chinese with folks from China but lots of people there just speak English and enjoy helping others practice while learning new things about other cultures and making friends.

There are modern malls, good movie theaters with same movies as in US played in English with Thai subtitles, and in a big benefit over Latin America endless streets, alleys, and markets to explore on foot without worry about security issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top