U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 05:58 AM

5,790 posts, read 4,843,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Your Grandma was hardcore!
Spare the rod and you'll spoil the child was her motto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 08:26 AM

31,700 posts, read 19,992,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Spare the rod and you'll spoil the child was her motto.
But braiding those rods together is some gangster stuff...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 11-10-2018, 11:24 AM

12,709 posts, read 14,089,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Cousins and myself were reminiscing last Thanksgiving around the table about how so different things are for kids coming up today versus ourselves.

Things for instance that our parents generation did (grew up in 1970's) simply would land them in jail today. *LOL* That or being sat down by child welfare agency.

Such as:

Sending kids to corner store with a list that included cigarettes, beer and or booze. You handed over note, store owner or whoever was behind the counter filled the order, and either put it on your old man's account or took the money and gave you back change.
I grew up in a town of 5,000 in the Forties and Fifties. I was sent to the store with money to buy cigarettes, but I think selling alcohol to a minor was illegal...cigarettes were not.

Quote:
Leaving children younger then middle teenagers home alone. My parents left us kids (oldest about ten or eleven) home alone many times. That and or we came home from school sometimes and there would be a few hours before someone got home.
When I was about 12, my mother took a job in a five and ten and my father also worked, so when I came home from school no one was there. But I had a large paper route, so as soon as the papers were delivered I folded them and was off on my route, and I was not back oftentimes until after they had begun dinner....especially in the winter, when the route took forever.

Quote:
Leaving kids alone in parked cars. Not talking about infants and or toddlers; but school aged children. My mother and grandmothers for instance found they could "run to the store" and get out faster if all us kids weren't tagging along. Dad? Forget it; we kids rather have stayed in the car anyway because he was no "fun" to shop with. The man pulled into nearest entrance to store, found what he wanted/needed, paid and was done and out like *that*.
Oh yes, with the very severe admonition to me and whoever was with me: "Stay in the car/truck!"

Quote:
Taking kids (again school aged) to local bar. We kids did learn early on that going out with Dad often meant a stop at his local. While he was at the bar having a few and talking with is buddies, we kids sat in a booth drinking Coke out of glasses with a cherry added, and munching potato chips or pretzels (bar food). More often than not Dad was run to ground by Mom who rang up and gave bartender/owner a message; "you're wife just called, she said bring her children home *NOW*. Of course having had all that pop and snacks we kids were "full" and didn't want dinner. That began round *two*.
Sometimes....it was a small town, kids went into lots of places that were adult hangouts where there was drinking.

I was traveling in Ireland in 1966 and stopped at a crossroads hamlet to ask for directions. The old bar owners were sitting in their living room right off the bar, and the elderly woman came in. I asked for directions, but felt obliged to buy a beer for the trouble and she was ready to chat. At one point a small kid, the top of whose head reached just above my waste came in. He said his dad wanted some beer, and then he held a small wooden pail up in the air and the woman took it and filled it with beer. She came round and handed it to him, and he tottered out holding it in both hands.

And then there was spanking. My father used his hand or the back of a hairbrush (not very often.) But my best friend's father next door used a heavy leather strap that was kept hanging behind a door. There was no a/c back then, of course, and on a hot summer day when all the doors in the neighborhood were open, you sometimes heard one of the kids shouting, "No, no! Not the strap."

And "Go outside and play" meant be back by lunch/dinner.

I find current standards prissy beyond belief and the products none the better.

Last edited by kevxu; 11-10-2018 at 12:25 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 03:39 PM

3,422 posts, read 3,186,306 times
Grew up in the 60s and 70s and was frequently sent to the corner store to buy cigarettes. Remember going to bars with my uncle and loved it. As young kids, we were EXPECTED to be out of the house ALL day when not in school. If you came inside during the middle of the day it was “get outside and play until dinner.” Hot toddies, absolutely for a bad cold. And I was often left home alone during the day starting at age 8. Times have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or