U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 07:40 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,535,380 times

Advertisements

Growing up, I had the following.

1) one of the houses we rented had a very large cow pasture behind it. When it wasn’t “in service,” the other neighborhood boys and me would go back there and play all sorts of things. I vaguely remember that we had a “fort” made of tarps in a brushy clearing on a hill cows couldn’t get to.

2) A small creek in a large patch of woods in an undeveloped part of my grandmothers neigjborhood.

3) various other wooded areas at my other grandmothers house in Virginia.

I jumped a fence in middle school, ripping my pants and underwear at the butt, and walked six miles home. A kid looking like that today would have the cops called on their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 07:47 AM

654 posts, read 308,337 times
No car seats, seat belts, bike helmets. . . .

I had knew to come in when the street lights came on.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:18 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
Free-range parenting....Hanging out all day with my friends on bikes, usually down at the creek, or jumping our bikes on hills, climbing enormous trees, etc. No parental supervision at all since single mom was at work all day. This was around age 9 and up.

At 8 or 9 I started babysitting my brother. We were latchkey kids. By the time I was 11-12 mom would call and say to start the pot roast and the baked potatoes for dinner. My older sibs were in high school and seldom home until dinner, or had already moved out by that time. We moved out after high school back then.

I hated going to the 7-11 for mom's cigarettes. It was embarrassing to have to give the clerk a note from my mom.

My step dad (from age 4-9) was the bartender in his parent's restaurant, so I got to hang out after kindergarten at the bar and have Shirley Temples and dance with the old men. For some reason only "old men" were at the bar from 12-4, LOL.

Age 4-7, being sent to the car as punishment for acting up in a store or restaurant. Always with much older siblings who resented mightily having to sit with the perpetrator, and who didn't mind taking it out on me!

At 14, mom would sometimes go on short trips of 2-3 nights and leave me home in charge of 7 year old brother. She'd fill the fridge with food and give me $40 in case we needed to buy something. The grocery store was within walk/bike distance, and we had friends with parents who lived nearby in case of a real emergency. I was supposed to get my brother up and ready for school and make sure I was home right after school to be there for him. Other than that, no real instructions for what to do, just live life and be responsible. This was normal practice for families we knew.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:30 AM

3,410 posts, read 1,523,023 times
We used to ride our ponies in the Santa Ana dry riverbed, galloping past the bums who lived under the bridges. We'd actually taunt them when they called out to us.

My dad used to let us sit in his lap when he drove the slow back roads, or even on the hood for an extra thrill. Like everyone else, we rolled around in the back seat with no seat belts, playing all kinds of games.

Walked to school, alone sometimes, from kindergarten on. Alleys and all. Parents didn't know where we were after school, as long as we were home for dinner. I don't recall anyone getting picked up from school; I never was. Bikes, bus or walk.

I remember at age 10, a guy tried to kidnap my friend and I with a knife. She had the presence of mind to run off and I followed her, thankfully. My parents did not want to call the police because "what would the neighbors think?"

Can you imagine!

Old 10-28-2018, 12:07 PM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Leaving the house after breakfast on my Schwinn (no helmet) with instructions to be home by dinner. In the summer, we'd all take our bikes to the city swimming pool and spend the day there without adult supervision.

Riding around in the front seat of our DeSoto Adventurer with no seat belts on. I remember going around a bend once and I must have hit the door lever because the next thing I knew I was rolling out of the car and onto the street. I brushed myself off, got back into the car, and we continued on as if nothing ever happened.

My parents did not smoke or drink, so I never had to go to the store to buy smokes for them. The only thing I remember was going into the dry cleaners to get my dad's clothes, or going into Isalys for some chipped ham, while they waited in the car.
Oh definitely this^^^. My little brother would ride his bike to the city park at 8 years old, all summer long, and swim at the pool all day, and return by himself. I taught him to swim the year before and he took to it just like a duck. He was brown as a walnut that year.

We never wore seat belts, and we'd often ride in the back of the station wagon rolling around on a sleeping bag and playing games and reading books. Once in my aunt's car we were in an accident and she rolled the car several times. I ended up in the backseat floor board unhurt.

I would hate to be a kid today with parents always hovering about and treating you like you're made of fine crystal. It seems like kids today are infant-ilized until they are in high school. We had responsibilities, and were given the rules and expected to follow them. If you didn't, punishment was swift and sure, but not too harsh. If we got the very rare punishment of a spanking, we also got an apology for them having to do it. But we knew that they had to because how else would they imprint the extreme "wrongness" of what we'd done? Spankings were saved for only the worst of the worst crimes, mainly putting a younger sibling in harm's way. We were quite literally expected to be "our brother's keeper".

Last edited by TheShadow; 10-28-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 12:22 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,892,279 times
Expecting kids to behave in public and telling them to do so.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:28 PM

9,137 posts, read 8,281,799 times
Where I grew up no store would sell booze or cigarettes to an underage person. I also grew up in the 1970s. My parents didn't send me out with a list to buy stuff. That's lazy as hell.

I wasn't a latch key kid until I was at least 13.

My parents brought me up the way kids are brought up today.

The only difference I can think of is that the nuns were allowed to spank us in elementary school.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:39 PM

9,775 posts, read 14,944,187 times
A quarter century ago, just as the education industry began promoting the trend to let children find themselves, there was a separate technique called "tough love". Schools had created juvenile tyrants who tried to terrorize their parents. Some parents tolerated this. The result is millennials.

Traditional parents control their households and their children. Their offspring are successful competitors in the real world. They prosper. They are part of loyal families who do not regard spouses and children as disposable.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:46 PM

9,775 posts, read 14,944,187 times
In 1957, one of my classmates had both of his parents killed in a wreck. The boy went to live with his aunt and uncle for a few weeks. Then he moved home. He worked after school and made enough to feed himself, make the house payment and pay the real estate tax. Three men inthe neighborhood advised him. They became like uncles to him. He went to college under a scholarship and became very successful.

Today, a young man in the same situation would be uprooted from the society he knew and placed in "the system". His opportunity to succeed would be very much diminished.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:51 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,580,961 times
Things parents did that would land them in hot H20 today...

Well, the first thing that jumped into my mind was corporal punishment in the 50s-60s, it was accepted & freely administered at home & unquestionably darkened my view on family life. Also as a veteran of 12 years of primary & secondary Catholic school education slapping & hitting students was accepted & expected. Some of the Brothers in my HS were fit & in their 20s-30s & some could almost knock a teen boy over with their force if they were angry enough, this was the exception & not the rule but still acceptable then as discipline for parents, "you must've been doing something wrong". A couple of the Brothers had obvious psychological/anger issues but most were fine & idealistic.

As a young teen I used to hang out at a local soda fountain with my friends & one day chatting about the nuns slapping us for various reasons & the owner, a Jewish lady, was shocked to hear that & said if any of those nuns ever touched any of her kids she would go down to the convent & "punch her in the nose". It was the first time I had ever heard anyone standing up for their children like that, the clerical class back then was given wide latitude among my people. But it opened my mind to a new point of view & how right she was...

To be fair the educational standards there were much higher than the local public schools & the HS was really exceptional in a scholastic sense, many of the graduates did very well, some are actually famous & it had a 90%+ college acceptance rate.

At the age of 13 in order to go to high school I needed to go solo on the local commuter train from our suburb into "the city" with all the rush hour commuters & then transfer to a bus/subway, about an 45 -60 min. commute on my own for 4 years.

Since my family is not at all distant from Irish roots I spent some times in "bars" on occasion, we regard them as pubs where people meet & eat meals & hear music... an accepted social place & not some dark "beer & shot" saloon where the last shift drinks its paycheck. My dad actually became a successful pub owner when I was in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or