U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 01:16 PM

5,788 posts, read 4,843,885 times

Advertisements

This thread is really bringing back so many memories from my childhood. Admittedly it would be considered quite out of the norm today, but just another funny story to us.

One very warm summer day around 1968, mom was working the early shift (6am-2pm), and my sister (age 14 or 15) was in charge that day. Thank heaven it wasn't me! She was supposed to get my baby brother (15 months old) up, change him, get his breakfast, and babysit until mom came home around 2 pm. My sister overslept, and by 9:30 am when she awoke, it was already well over 80 degrees in the upstairs room where my brother's crib shared my mom's room. He had woken up and, left to his own devices, had unloaded the contents of his diaper and was happily finger painting the wall, his crib, and himself with said contents. The entire upstairs of that little, non-air conditioned craftsmen house stunk to high heaven, and poor sis knew she had better get the situation rectified before mom came home or she would catch holy he** for not taking better care of the baby. OMG , Open the windows turn on the fans, bathe the kid, feed him, clean the sheets and hang them to dry, scrub the walls, and the crib, and threaten to kill anyone who told. Just another day in the life, but sort of hard to imagine today. We still laugh about it, but for some reason my little 6'4" 51 year old bro doesn't like this story....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 01:39 PM

6,215 posts, read 2,871,412 times
My mom had at minimum 6 kids in a vw van. None of us buckled up. Sometimes it was ten kids piled in. One day she took us to tour Washington DC. It was a lonnnnnnnng day. We stopped at mc'ds on the way home. About 45 miles down the road...my mom did her military roll call. ..oops! One kid didn't answer. Around turned the van ...and back to mcd's...to pick up....Moi!
My brothers tell that story all The time on how they almost got rid of their little sister...

Road our bikes without helmets....

I still recall some of the babysitters my mom hired....she often thought these young gals needed the money. They did I guess...most smoked pot upstairs and had rather indiscreet antics with the teen boys in the neighborhood. It would be in our 20's that we told our mom about these girls. She was horrified! My bros would say....ohh gosh mom..we werent horrified!
Now a days the babysitter would twist it into a metoo scenario and my mom would be put in jail for letting teens use her home for underage partying and debauchery.

I don't like to think my mom was neglectful...though. I honestly think she trusted ppl more then they deserved.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:12 PM

19,848 posts, read 18,874,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Oh definitely this^^^. My little brother would ride his bike to the city park at 8 years old, all summer long, and swim at the pool all day, and return by himself. I taught him to swim the year before and he took to it just like a duck. He was brown as a walnut that year.

We never wore seat belts, and we'd often ride in the back of the station wagon rolling around on a sleeping bag and playing games and reading books. Once in my aunt's car we were in an accident and she rolled the car several times. I ended up in the backseat floor board unhurt.

I would hate to be a kid today with parents always hovering about and treating you like you're made of fine crystal. It seems like kids today are infant-ilized until they are in high school. We had responsibilities, and were given the rules and expected to follow them. If you didn't, punishment was swift and sure, but not too harsh. If we got the very rare punishment of a spanking, we also got an apology for them having to do it. But we knew that they had to because how else would they imprint the extreme "wrongness" of what we'd done? Spankings were saved for only the worst of the worst crimes, mainly putting a younger sibling in harm's way. We were quite literally expected to be "our brother's keeper".
Exactly. Get on your bike and go to the town pool. As long as you're home by supper. Hang out at the nearby playground and go on the swings and other playground equipment if it wasn't warm enough to go in the pool.

Riding in the back of the station wagon. Who ever heard of seatbelts?

And spankings if you did something really, really wrong. For me, it was the time I stayed out after the curfew horn went off at 8pm. I knew it was wrong. My parents were worried sick.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:34 PM

1,660 posts, read 570,760 times
I never heard of parents sending their kids to buy cigarettes or booze but there were definitely some things my parents did that would be frowned on today.

Spanking is the first thing that comes to mind.

The no-seatbelts thing of course didn't kick in until cars HAD seat belts. I'm trying to recall which of our family cars first had them and am coming up empty. My dad bought a new car every three years and so it wasn't that we ever had an old clunker either. Guess we just never wore them/never got into the habit.

Helmets while riding a bike? Never. If hockey players didn't wear them, why would kids? lol

When I was in 5th grade my mom got a part time job from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., which means that because she didn't drive and we were in walking distance from the school, I got home about an hour before she did. Sometimes a bit longer if her bus was running late or if she accidentally missed it. So I was home alone for an hour or so which was not considered any kind of a big deal.

The biggest thing IMHO was the tolerance of smoking around kids, which I hope is rare today. My mom didn't smoke but my dad smoked cigarettes (Camels), cigars (ugh) and a pipe. It was a small house and so when the three of us were sitting in the living room -- which was 9 x 12, if even that big -- we were all breathing that stuff. Ugh.

Oh, I remember one thing that only my step-grandfather would do: He'd make Manhattans and after he finished his he'd let me have the maraschino cherry that had been "marinating" in the glass.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:37 PM

1,660 posts, read 570,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
And spankings if you did something really, really wrong. For me, it was the time I stayed out after the curfew horn went off at 8pm. I knew it was wrong. My parents were worried sick.
When I was about eleven years old I rode my bike with two friends to see some horses (very unusual thing where we lived); my friends got bored but I wanted to stay a while longer and did. My mom saw my friends come back without me but because she didn't drive and didn't have a clear idea of where the place was, she waited until I got back, getting more frantic the entire time. After about an hour she was borderline hysterical.

Worst spanking I ever got in my life, that was.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:05 PM

4,846 posts, read 4,962,112 times
I remember ditching school one day, hitch hiking to the horse stables, riding horses all day long and then hitch hiking home in time for dinner at 5 PM.

To this day, my parents never found out about it.

I also remember my sister teaching me to drive at 14. I drove to high school for 2 years without a license. When my father decided to teach me how to drive, he was amazed that I could drive the stick shift car without jerking the clutch. I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd been driving already for 2 years.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:35 PM

5,788 posts, read 4,843,885 times
The funny thing is, given that the parenting we grew up with would be considered child neglect today...all my 4 siblings and I turned into totally productive, continuously employed, tax-paying, non-criminal citizens. We are all early retirees, except for my sister who passed away in her 40's, and have never required any form of government assistance, or been in excessive debt, addiction, gamblers, or any other form of trouble.

I wonder what the odds of that would be with a family of 5 children of a 10th grade dropout waitress, single mom would be today?

Old 10-28-2018, 05:42 PM

4,069 posts, read 3,100,731 times
My example is not from the 1970s but from 1988. My father bought his first pickup truck and brand new vehicle that year. My parents decided to take us camping in PA and see Gettysburg in the same trip. The truck had a standard cab with a cap for the truck bed. My father took an old cushioned bench from their first kitchen table set and sawed off the legs. The sawed off bench was then placed at the front end of the truck bed facing backwards. Me, my younger sister and our dog rode in the back of that pickup truck from Massachusetts to central PA and back surrounded by all the packed supplies and camping gear. I don't think that would be allowed today.

I rode in the back of pickup trucks several times as a teenager and I honestly miss it.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:49 PM

20,778 posts, read 13,781,027 times
You went and told your parents, grandparent or some other adult supposed to be watching you that someone "hit" you. Response was always the same "hit him back". *LOL*

Old 10-28-2018, 05:51 PM

9,170 posts, read 3,010,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
This thread is really bringing back so many memories from my childhood. Admittedly it would be considered quite out of the norm today, but just another funny story to us.

One very warm summer day around 1968, mom was working the early shift (6am-2pm), and my sister (age 14 or 15) was in charge that day. Thank heaven it wasn't me! She was supposed to get my baby brother (15 months old) up, change him, get his breakfast, and babysit until mom came home around 2 pm. My sister overslept, and by 9:30 am when she awoke, it was already well over 80 degrees in the upstairs room where my brother's crib shared my mom's room. He had woken up and, left to his own devices, had unloaded the contents of his diaper and was happily finger painting the wall, his crib, and himself with said contents. The entire upstairs of that little, non-air conditioned craftsmen house stunk to high heaven, and poor sis knew she had better get the situation rectified before mom came home or she would catch holy he** for not taking better care of the baby. OMG , Open the windows turn on the fans, bathe the kid, feed him, clean the sheets and hang them to dry, scrub the walls, and the crib, and threaten to kill anyone who told. Just another day in the life, but sort of hard to imagine today. We still laugh about it, but for some reason my little 6'4" 51 year old bro doesn't like this story....

Your brother was showing the first signs of being an artist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or