Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:53 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
. My mom once forgot I was with her and left me at the supermarket when I was 5...

Reading that sounds like I was raised in a trailer park, but it was upper middle class.

DH says I was raised by wolves.
My husband's mother left one of his sisters at the grocery store once too. Of course, said sister was #5 of 9, so she was probably distracted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
My husband's mother left one of his sisters at the grocery store once too. Of course, said sister was #5 of 9, so she was probably distracted.

I was an only child.

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-07-2018, 01:52 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I was an only child.

Oh my!! That made me LOL!!!

Old 11-08-2018, 03:23 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,154 times
When I was 5 or 6 years old and bratted out my grandma sent me to the woods behind our house and told me to bring back the "greenest switch I could find" for my whipping (just a gesture, never contact).

Of course, thinking I was clever, I'd bring back a dried up one. She would send me back out in the yard until I came back with a green one.

By that time I was worn down, learned my lesson, and was put down for a nap.

Ironically it was Grandma who taught me the love of vegetable and flower gardening. Many happy days were spent helping her pull weeds and pick veggies. She loved tending her roses too and I loved helping her. Sweet memories over 55 years ago.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:32 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Burning leaves, twigs, etc. in a big metal can in the backyard. I can still see and smell the smoke going all over the place. Everyone did it.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:35 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,066,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My dad never sent me to out to buy cigarettes and anyway he gave them up when I was about twelve. They didn't drink very much. My dad did offer me some beer while he watched sports on tv. I hated the stuff but the casual attitude made me take drinking casually, as in, I could take it or leave it. Mostly I leave it.

So probably the thing that would have gotten them in trouble today was spanking or threatening to get the paddle.
It was not child abuse though and I don't think police should get involved in families unless there really is child abuse, serious child abuse. I would have been very upset to have the police come and interfere. If my parents had been locking me in the attic and depriving me of food, beating me, I would have welcomed police help.
Would the police actually come to the house though, if it was just a spanking with the hand though, in today's standards?

Old 11-09-2018, 06:04 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,741,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
When I was 5 or 6 years old and bratted out my grandma sent me to the woods behind our house and told me to bring back the "greenest switch I could find" for my whipping (just a gesture, never contact).

Of course, thinking I was clever, I'd bring back a dried up one. She would send me back out in the yard until I came back with a green one.

By that time I was worn down, learned my lesson, and was put down for a nap.

Ironically it was Grandma who taught me the love of vegetable and flower gardening. Many happy days were spent helping her pull weeds and pick veggies. She loved tending her roses too and I loved helping her. Sweet memories over 55 years ago.
Well this was true with my grandma, but she wasn't as nice as yours. My mom told me she'd tell her to get a switch and if she brought back a tiny thing grandma would send her back out to get a proper one. One time she got sent back a third time and then grandma said "now sit down and braid them together!" and she got whipped with the braided switches. She wore black and blue legs to school, but no one knew because they were Pentecostal and she was made to wear long skirts and high socks.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:13 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Burning leaves, twigs, etc. in a big metal can in the backyard. I can still see and smell the smoke going all over the place. Everyone did it.
Twigs heck, we burned our TRASH out there, in a metal can with holes in the sides. I know, it was my job when I was 12 or so.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:24 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Well this was true with my grandma, but she wasn't as nice as yours. My mom told me she'd tell her to get a switch and if she brought back a tiny thing grandma would send her back out to get a proper one. One time she got sent back a third time and then grandma said "now sit down and braid them together!" and she got whipped with the braided switches. She wore black and blue legs to school, but no one knew because they were Pentecostal and she was made to wear long skirts and high socks.

Your Grandma was hardcore!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-09-2018, 10:02 PM

10,703 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Would the police actually come to the house though, if it was just a spanking with the hand though, in today's standards?
Corporal punishment by parents is legal in all 50 states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement