U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 01:15 PM

73 posts, read 88,364 times

Advertisements

There are two Del Webb communities near Nashville. One is completed, called Del Webb Providence. Shopping of any kind is two miles away. It's a very pretty community. We recently looked at it with relatives who may move to this area and I was impressed. They are building another community in Spring Hill TN called Del Webb Southern Springs. They just started building homes this year and the community center is not built yet. It is also within 1-2 miles of many stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 01:25 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,117,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
San Antonio, Texas. Hill Country Retreat, a Del Webb community. Everything one needs or wants is located in a convenient area. Homes are for sale in all price ranges, from brand new by the builder to resales. San Antonio is known for it's medical center, and now there is building all over, from doctors, dentists, labs, specialty clinics, restaurants, nail salons, anything and everything you want is in Northwest San Antonio. San Antonio caters to the military, both active and retired, so medical care is very good. I love it here, you can be as active or involved as much or as little as you like. The downside is traffic, but since there is so much being built I don't have to go too far for what I need or want. Check it out.

The link is updated fairly often, it actually profiles when new resales come on the market. Starting at the bottom then scroll up for least expensive to larger and more expensive. If you go to the Del Webb site, it will be all new homes by the builders, Pulte and Village, and these homes are pretty big and pricey.

Hill Country Retreat Homes For Sale | San Antonio, TX Real Estate
A friend of mine moved there from Southern California after her husband passed, and she loves it.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:39 PM

6,842 posts, read 3,880,228 times
Leisure World, Seal Beach Ca. My Dad loved it! They have vans on a regular schedule to go to stores etc. There is a terrific hospital and drs 5 min away. Sign up for health care through LW for added benefits and ease of care. There are activities and vans that circulate through about every 20 min to take you to the pool or wherever you need to go in LW.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:48 PM

4,375 posts, read 3,712,866 times
With on line shopping you can get more items delivered to your home.
Grocery shopping can also be done on line with you driving to the store for pickup and deliver is also starting to develop.
Dr's and hospitals are going to be a problem. You will probably have to rely on taxies or your neighbor.
A golf cart community may help you cut down on driving.
Another consideration is can you take public transportation to where you have to go as you age. This assumes the public transportation is around.
A larger over 55 community may have residences that use driving your to where you have to go as a way to supplement your income but again this may not be completely reliable.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:10 AM

17,427 posts, read 21,267,665 times
I'm currently living in a place called Far Horizons Co-op Estates in Tucson and it's a dream location, catty corner from the sprawling Tucson Medical Center, 2 blocks to Trader Joes, a Walgreen's and a big Fry's Grocery store, 7 blocks to Sprouts, another grocery store, 10 restaurants, walking distance and a bus stop in front of the complex. With a Senior Bus pass, 75 cents per ride. Less than a mile east is a Target and Albertson's grocery store, and less than a mile west is a Wal-Mart Grocery store. You don't even need a car in this community. Rare for Tucson.

Bear in mind, this is a Co-op mobile home park where you own your own property and, a rarity for Tucson, it's lush with vegetation and, ever rarer, green grass, that's because the community has its own well. To live here you must first meet with the Board of Directors to be approved, which should be no problem.

And you're 65 miles to the Mexican Border, 1 hour away, where you can buy cheaper medications, cheap dental care and other cheaper medical care is available.

There's Green Valley, 20 miles south, with about 30,000 retiree's living there, but I don't like the idea of being car-dependent. You need a car there.

Good luck with trying to find the most perfect 55+ community to live in.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:36 AM

5,967 posts, read 5,317,347 times
I live here. I like it. Convenient and a great value.

Home - Sun City, Arizona - The Original Fun City!

Old 10-30-2018, 05:40 AM

15,253 posts, read 8,556,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
San Antonio, Texas. Hill Country Retreat, a Del Webb community. Everything one needs or wants is located in a convenient area. Homes are for sale in all price ranges, from brand new by the builder to resales. San Antonio is known for it's medical center, and now there is building all over, from doctors, dentists, labs, specialty clinics, restaurants, nail salons, anything and everything you want is in Northwest San Antonio. San Antonio caters to the military, both active and retired, so medical care is very good. I love it here, you can be as active or involved as much or as little as you like. The downside is traffic, but since there is so much being built I don't have to go too far for what I need or want. Check it out.

The link is updated fairly often, it actually profiles when new resales come on the market. Starting at the bottom then scroll up for least expensive to larger and more expensive. If you go to the Del Webb site, it will be all new homes by the builders, Pulte and Village, and these homes are pretty big and pricey.

Hill Country Retreat Homes For Sale | San Antonio, TX Real Estate
Interesting...every single house that flashed up (at least half a dozen) was between $340k and $360k!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-30-2018, 06:18 AM

4,881 posts, read 2,356,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Interesting...every single house that flashed up (at least half a dozen) was between $340k and $360k!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was going to say the same thing - definitely not in my budget. We're looking for places that may run in the $150k range - plus I have a pit mix which I'm sure most places won't accept.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:37 AM

5,967 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
- plus I have a pit mix which I'm sure most places won't accept.
Why wouldn't they? Lots of dogs of all types here plus a really nice dog park.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:13 AM

653 posts, read 337,779 times
In our area prices start at ~$450 in 55+, the average is about $550 for something nice and closer to the beach. I do not think you could not even buy a Tiny Home for ~$150. The mobile home parks where we are a really not where one would want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or