U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2018, 02:15 PM
 
1,227 posts, read 1,260,773 times
Reputation: 4310

Advertisements

Hi,

I've given this thought and decided that I would like to try living in an active adult community. I know there are people who like them and dislike them. So, the question is not about whether or not it is a good idea.

The question is: Our health is not the best and I don't want to live in a community that involves a lot of driving to grocery stores, doctors, and the general needs of life. I want a community that is not in a remote part of the county. I also want a community that is in a city with good medical care and highly rated hospitals. Climate is clearly not going to be a factor. Which ones would you suggest?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2018, 10:13 PM
Status: "I am Blessed." (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Spurs country. "Go, Spurs, Go!"
3,415 posts, read 3,970,488 times
Reputation: 8849
San Antonio, Texas. Hill Country Retreat, a Del Webb community. Everything one needs or wants is located in a convenient area. Homes are for sale in all price ranges, from brand new by the builder to resales. San Antonio is known for it's medical center, and now there is building all over, from doctors, dentists, labs, specialty clinics, restaurants, nail salons, anything and everything you want is in Northwest San Antonio. San Antonio caters to the military, both active and retired, so medical care is very good. I love it here, you can be as active or involved as much or as little as you like. The downside is traffic, but since there is so much being built I don't have to go too far for what I need or want. Check it out.

The link is updated fairly often, it actually profiles when new resales come on the market. Starting at the bottom then scroll up for least expensive to larger and more expensive. If you go to the Del Webb site, it will be all new homes by the builders, Pulte and Village, and these homes are pretty big and pricey.

http://www.mysahomeresource.idxbroke...TX_Real_Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 04:19 AM
 
10,606 posts, read 12,142,848 times
Reputation: 6500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Hi,

I've given this thought and decided that I would like to try living in an active adult community. I know there are people who like them and dislike them. So, the question is not about whether or not it is a good idea.

The question is: Our health is not the best and I don't want to live in a community that involves a lot of driving to grocery stores, doctors, and the general needs of life. I want a community that is not in a remote part of the county. I also want a community that is in a city with good medical care and highly rated hospitals. Climate is clearly not going to be a factor. Which ones would you suggest?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have.
My parents have been looking for the same thing. They want an over-55 community but, around where we live, in order to keep the price of the houses down, you're virtually in the sticks with one of these communities and they don't want that.

Currently, they are down in Florida looking at The Villages (after touring about 15 different communities prior) and this seems to be hitting all the marks for them. They want a "social" community and they want to be close to things without feeling like they are stuck out in no-man's land. I know The Villages has its pitfalls and critics but they've really done a lot of looking around and they are impressed. Might be too big for some but I think when you have lived your life in a high-density city type area it doesn't seem that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
3,551 posts, read 1,658,241 times
Reputation: 10169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
My parents have been looking for the same thing. They want an over-55 community but, around where we live, in order to keep the price of the houses down, you're virtually in the sticks with one of these communities and they don't want that.

Currently, they are down in Florida looking at The Villages (after touring about 15 different communities prior) and this seems to be hitting all the marks for them. They want a "social" community and they want to be close to things without feeling like they are stuck out in no-man's land. I know The Villages has its pitfalls and critics but they've really done a lot of looking around and they are impressed. Might be too big for some but I think when you have lived your life in a high-density city type area it doesn't seem that way.

If they'd like to be relatively close to family in Nova, I'd recommend looking at places in Williamsburg. We moved here from Sterling and love it. We moved to Ford's Colony, which functions like a 55+ although it's not a restricted community (and there actually are families with kids living here. Not a lot, but they're here.) This is a very active community with a hiking trail, lots of places to walk, pickle ball, kayaking group, etc. All sorts of social groups, arts & crafts groups, special interest group, athletic groups. Plus, quite a lot to do in Williamsburg, as well. Good hospitals, lots of local shopping, and a lot of people move here from Nova so they'd feel right at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 08:43 AM
 
10,606 posts, read 12,142,848 times
Reputation: 6500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
If they'd like to be relatively close to family in Nova, I'd recommend looking at places in Williamsburg. We moved here from Sterling and love it. We moved to Ford's Colony, which functions like a 55+ although it's not a restricted community (and there actually are families with kids living here. Not a lot, but they're here.) This is a very active community with a hiking trail, lots of places to walk, pickle ball, kayaking group, etc. All sorts of social groups, arts & crafts groups, special interest group, athletic groups. Plus, quite a lot to do in Williamsburg, as well. Good hospitals, lots of local shopping, and a lot of people move here from Nova so they'd feel right at home.
I think they are trying to escape the NoVA feel.

My mother told me yesterday (she's visiting The Villages now) that she's talked to more people in one day down there than WEEKS in NoVA. NoVA is just not a place for retirees. At least not where they are. It's very young family/commuter/work,work,work centric. Believe me, my mother is a native Washingtonian and it's a big move for her. I guess when she was working full time, that satisfied her "social" needs, but now, wow, it's not great. She's joined a few book clubs just to get out and interact and they are fine, but still not overly friendly. She's been blown away by the friendliness at The Villages. She's on her second trip/visit there.

I think they did go down around the Richmond area and look and it was just okay. Seems like nice homes/ neighborhoods, but too far off the beaten path still (and they do have a budget in the mid-$300s). I don't think they looked in Williamsburg though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,699 posts, read 4,424,965 times
Reputation: 11675
Our Dallas residence is a condo near everything. I prefer to drive to the grocery store (2 blocks away). It is not a 55+ community but the majority of the residents are 50+. Its called The Residences at The Highland. It offers several amenities, including room service from the restaurant. It doesn’t have the many clubs and social aspects of the typical 55+ communities.

When we made the decision to retire to a more carefree place, we also wanted a walkable place. We never could find a 55+ urban/walkable community. So we bought that condo. It is a great place but does lack the social opportunities we like in active retirement communities.

Our Las Vegas community is an active 55+ community with tons of social activities. We enjoy that. But we have to drive to shops and restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,092 posts, read 12,478,899 times
Reputation: 26117
If your health isn't the best, might be just the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,248 posts, read 3,020,732 times
Reputation: 9593
Sun City West AZ is a Del Webb community of 29000 seniors. It is mostly private homes, but we really liked our one story townhouse. There was independent living, and some assisted living. There is a good size hospital and medical center. I had both my knees replaced there. There are 3 supermarkets, several gas stations, hardware stores and other businesses.

Phoenix airport is about 15 miles away and I-10 is 13 miles away.
There are over 100 clubs where you can meet your neighbors and make friends.
Walmart and Target are across the highway in the city of Surprise.

We returned to Florida because we missed being on the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
3,551 posts, read 1,658,241 times
Reputation: 10169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think they are trying to escape the NoVA feel.

My mother told me yesterday (she's visiting The Villages now) that she's talked to more people in one day down there than WEEKS in NoVA. NoVA is just not a place for retirees. At least not where they are. It's very young family/commuter/work,work,work centric.

LOL I totally understand. I actually had a lot of fun during the two decades we lived in Nova, but it wasn't until we moved here that I realized how little I actually socialized when I lived there. We had the same experience of talking to people everywhere you go, being invited over to our neighbors (not to mention quite a few neighborhood get togethers), stopping to chat for awhile with someone sitting on a front porch, etc. People we meet casually invite us to come over for a game of pickleball, or to go kayaking. That never happened in Nova! Now that I'm used to the way of life here, you couldn't pay me to retire in Nova.

At any rate, sounds like the Villages is a good fit for her. Finding a place where you're happy is worth it's weight in gold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 11:37 AM
 
1,227 posts, read 1,260,773 times
Reputation: 4310
Thank you, everyone. As you provide the ideas, I am doing the searches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top