U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 03:04 PM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times

Advertisements

Only if you are in it. Maybe nude? Kidding aside we have nude male model comes to my art class. But ladies don’t gets your hopes, he is about 70, but with defined muscle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 04:35 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,642,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Only if you are in it. Maybe nude? Kidding aside we have nude male model comes to my art class. But ladies donít gets your hopes, he is about 70, but with defined muscle.

Err yeh, the plumbing is the least challenging or interesting to draw, but show me an protruding iliac crest or scapula or back muscles casting shadows and Iím on it

Old 11-04-2018, 05:04 PM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Back muscle is most interesting too. Lighting is very low, with my bad eyesight, I don’t know if I can do it properly. Maybe I can focus on the butt.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:09 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,345,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Do Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Editions count?

Only if you frame them and hang them on the wall in the living room.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:37 AM

5,558 posts, read 5,910,118 times
It’s a stupid criticism to say someone’s opinion isn’t valuable because they’re not “educated” in art. We all have eyes, it IS enough to enjoy a piece by itself as an adult human being with life experiences. I’m a filmmaker and if I make a movie that you think sucks because it bored you to tears and you thought it looked lousy and the acting was bad, I’m not going to dismiss your opinion because you didn’t major in film or aren’t an expert having studied classic movies. I want to make a movie you like whether you’ve seen 10,000 movies or just 50. I wouldn’t hide behind my knowledge of the craft to dismiss anyone else’s opinions of whether something works or doesn’t work for them.

About the only thing that a very profound knowledge of film or really any art helps you understand is the place of the work in the scheme of things, whether it’s original or not so much, and the difficulty required to pull it off. For instance, I may see a new movie and enjoy it for a fun time but I’ve seen dozens of similar movies and know it’s nothing original or special. I still can enjoy it, though. You may see it and it’s the first movie like this you’ve ever seen. If someone with little knowledge of film calls something “really original” I have reason to be skeptical - how would they know?! But I wouldn’t dismiss their opinion that it’s a really enjoyable movie.

If you had to study an art form just to appreciate the beauty of a work of art in that medium, sorry but odds are that work SUCKS. That’s exactly why film critics irritate me because they praise some of the most boring, insipid, pointless films every year simply for being different then hide behind their profession like “the masses” are too stupid to get the genius of whatever boring pile of garbage they’re jumping aboard this year. I’ve seen all of the same stuff they have, I’ve watched movies from the 1890s through present and every type of foreign film, and none of that will ever make me enjoy Boyhood or Manchester By the Sea or Moonlight. Because enjoyment of movies isn’t based on film knowledge alone it’s based on interest of the subject matter and execution.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 111 times
I am an artist illustrator, I studied with Norman Rockewall and Al Capp 1973, I have one Thomas Kincade, "Mystie Mountain" and several Norman Rockwell pieces. I do more commercial art than Fine Arts. I publish my own magazine and illustrate childrens books.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:22 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
I buy art that I can afford, and I'm really poor. I don't care about who the artist is. I buy stuff I like - and can afford.

You can find amazingly cool stuff on Craigslist or at flea markets or even thrift stores. Or even on Ebay. I have a metal piece I love and get compliments all the time, and the artist didn't even sign it. Got it on Ebay and I just remember that the piece was named "Nadine." This was way back when you could actually scroll through every page in a category on Ebay.

I've even found really cool artwork at my local Ross Dress for Less. I have a few really nice framed pieces I got at a local Goodwill, and an amazing embroidered Chinese dragon on what looks like silk, that is a fabric hanging piece. All of them were $30 or less.

I don't care about impressing anyone else. I just want to hang up stuff I really like, and I love the hunt for cool stuff that is cheap. If anyone who comes to visit me doesn't understand the beauty of the hunt for cool stuff for a cheap price - well, they probably won't ever want to come back to my house, and I won't miss them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or