U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 03:09 PM

1,631 posts, read 965,302 times

Advertisements

I am an illustrator so have my original pen and ink, watercolor, graphite and technical pen drawings. I also have 2 smaller Fin de Siecle Golden Age of Illustration original posters and one big one from 1922. My grandma gave me a watercolor of a thatched English cottage that a friend painted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 03:17 PM

8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
We continue to collect fine art and fine craft.
Same here. We've been art collectors for 25 years. In fact, we put gallery lights in the second floor of our previous house in Bethesda and had our own mini gallery, lol.

Interesting story (at least to me): When we first purchased our house we bought furniture from a furniture store salesman who was also getting started as a glass artist. We bought several of his early pieces and now he is a world-renowned artist in that field. He's exhibited in NY, London, Berlin, Basel, and DC among other places, has done work for the Library of Congress, and has two pieces in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian American Art Museum (we have a similar piece in our bedroom). It's nice to be in on the ground floor of an artist's rising career.

Another artist we really like and who was just getting started at the same time we began collecting art is Victor Nizovtsev. We have several large original oil paintings of his that we really love. Here's a short bio of his as well as examples of some of his work. Victor Nizovtsev Paintings and Biography

Other artists whose work we collect include Calman Shemi https://www.eden-gallery.com/art/calman-shemi/ and Kris Kuksi https://www.kuksi.com/ among others.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:18 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,190,426 times
One of the issues I had when moving into an "open concept" house was the lack of wall space for the pictures I've collected over the years. Most were bought at street fairs I found on my travels others from small galleries. Each evokes a memory of a time or place. Some are photographs, some watercolors, some oils with a few prints thrown in. These are not "great art" as some people describe it, but they a Great Art to me.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:22 PM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times
my wife is in to art .we have some nice original ERTE'S .

i think i would have been an artist instead of a drummer but every time my crayon goes outside barney's head i get so frustrated

Old 10-29-2018, 03:28 PM

1,651 posts, read 567,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I really enjoy looking at portraits. I like to study their faces and try to decide "who" they are, etc.
You might like my all-time favorite portrait artist: Hans Holbein. He painted during the era of Henry VIII and did many portraits of the people at court.

I became fascinated by his work when I first saw his famous portrait of Anne of Cleves, who according to Henry was so terribly unattractive but Holbein saw the serenity and kindness of her nature (which was proved by her later life to be absolutely true) and that's how he painted her.

I have a book published in 1812 showing many of his portraits as engravings. Most of my favorites are either of anonymous sitters or people who weren't famous, such as this painting of Lady Butts (you have to sympathize with any woman who marries into that surname, LOL). I can practically hear her talking about her grandchildren or sighing with resigned yet affectionate despair over something her now-retired-from court, lovable and yet sometimes annoying husband has done this time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._d._J._033.jpg

I also think that Lady Audley was probably not averse to a little bit of rowdy fun at a party. She has that tiny hint of a devilish smile and an interested twinkle in her eye...

https://www.artic.edu/artworks/133335

Old 10-29-2018, 03:35 PM

1,527 posts, read 634,180 times
I bought an oil painting from an artist who had a shop in NOLA when I was there on vacation. I have a couple watercolors from a local artist where I live now and two larger oils from another local artist. Max I paid was $2,000 for the two large oils. The NOLA one was $850 ten years ago. The water colors $250 or so. So nothing really expensive or anyone well known. I like them, though. I have a metal wall piece I got the last time I went to Guadalajara to visit retired friends.

I envy those with artistic talent. My drawings were so bad that, even when I was in kindergarten, the teacher wouldn’t hang them up. :-(

Old 10-29-2018, 04:47 PM

483 posts, read 324,201 times
I have two Amado Pena serigraphs and a gorgeous woodblock piece from a SW artist named Angie Coleman. The rest are framed prints and posters.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:04 PM

16,355 posts, read 10,340,678 times
yes but not famous or valuable. I find a lot at thrift shops or garage sales. Besides my own photos and needlework, I need more walls before I need more things to put on them.

No idea where to hang the quilted wall hanging I just did.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:04 PM

7,663 posts, read 4,705,800 times
I had an extended stay (three weeks) in Sedona last year. Of all the beauties on display, the kinetic sculptures kept catching my eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtSLXb_Mswc

There are some nifty ones up on Airport Mesa near the terminal building. Sedona is definitely worth seeing, if you ever get the chance.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:11 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,313,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I do not own any pictures that would be considered of any worth. Just something to put on the walls so they aren't just plain white.

But I know when I see a picture that I like, it usually just "hits" me..... how beautiful l think it is. I really enjoy looking at portraits. I like to study their faces and try to decide "who" they are, etc.

If I should ever come into money, it would be fun to shop for paintings.
I've never had a taste for what is called modern art.
I saw this show in Asheville. Wonderful contemporary portraits. The were hung in an intriguing manner-hard to explain.

Black Mountain College
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or