U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 05:23 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,311,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Same here. We've been art collectors for 25 years. In fact, we put gallery lights in the second floor of our previous house in Bethesda and had our own mini gallery, lol.

Interesting story (at least to me): When we first purchased our house we bought furniture from a furniture store salesman who was also getting started as a glass artist. We bought several of his early pieces and now he is a world-renowned artist in that field. He's exhibited in NY, London, Berlin, Basel, and DC among other places, has done work for the Library of Congress, and has two pieces in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian American Art Museum (we have a similar piece in our bedroom). It's nice to be in on the ground floor of an artist's rising career.

Another artist we really like and who was just getting started at the same time we began collecting art is Victor Nizovtsev. We have several large original oil paintings of his that we really love. Here's a short bio of his as well as examples of some of his work. Victor Nizovtsev Paintings and Biography

Other artists whose work we collect include Calman Shemi https://www.eden-gallery.com/art/calman-shemi/ and Kris Kuksi https://www.kuksi.com/ among others.
I love the whimsy of Victor’s fantasy work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 06:29 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,580,961 times
When I was working during college at a warehouse, one time I hauled a bunch of old files outside to a dumpster shared with a smaller building. The building housed an artist's studio supported by the university & on this day the dumpster had a number of his discards - mostly prints & a wood piece that had been sawed in half, many of the prints were torn as well or probably defective, too muddy or the layers not matching, etc...

Well I was a broke student but an art lover so I salvaged what I could for my shack. This included an old torn circus poster, don't know when/where I lost that along the way, about 6 decent moody looking prints & a quite large signed artist's proof print that was very appealing to me. I finally sprung to have the artist's proof professionally framed years later when I settled down, the proof's paper is quite aged looking from either sunlight or the quality of the paper itself.

I still like the picture very much. I searched online a few years ago & found the final print is in a museum & he has other works in museums too. When he passed away 10 years ago the NY Times ran an obit on him, he was Grant Wood's student although his work is more akin to expressionism but more modern.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:54 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,081 times
I started collecting artwork when I was in college. My first piece was given to me by the artist whom I was modeling nude for. He painted it for me as a gift.

After that I started buying pieces that I liked. Some have gone on to make a name for themselves. Some I do not know what became of them.

I wish I had talent of my own.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:32 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,011,329 times
IN the seventies I bought three watercolors from Woddy Combrink in San Luis Obispo, and left them as new in my families LA livng room, dark and cool. I still have them and had an email from Woody recently for insurance value.

I also bought an oil, "Howe Sound" from Chris McClure, who now lives full time in Mexico after having a gallery as well in White Rock, BC.

All of them have always speak to me, and I'll always keep them, no matter the value. It's not the value. It's the moment.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:44 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,338,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Do you search for art that speaks to you?
No I don't search for it. But when I see something that speaks to me, I buy it. I have some original art but not from anyone famous. Never bought from a gallery. Usually from an artist at an arts and crafts show or local farmers market (where they sell more than veggies). I acquired a picture at a flea market last year that I just liked. I had a new mat made for it and when I reframed it I discovered it was just a photograph... but I like it. Found a numbered print in a thrift store 2 weeks ago... a big $5. It goes with the pic I found at the flea market last year.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:25 PM

7,894 posts, read 5,024,944 times
I'd love to own an example from the Old Masters, even a minor one -for the beauty, of course, but also for the investment value. But I can't afford it (duh!). That stuff is into the 8-figures now.

The fantasy scenario is where a state or city falls into such dire fiscal circumstances, that its flagship museum needs to hold a sale. Of course, much smarter and wealthier buyers would swoop in... so it's only a fantasy. Still, wouldn't it be lovely to own one of the truly foundational masterpieces of Western Civilization?

I think that a box of tissues (no, not for crying) would be useful now....

Old 10-29-2018, 09:36 PM

28,231 posts, read 39,866,600 times
Most of ours are from "unknowns" (to us anyway) that we found at art shows. Three are by Lena Liu, and they are beautiful. One we found by J. Elizabeth Fischer that we dearly love. Some are by an artist from Wisconsin named Connie Glowacki that are beautiful and calming. This is one of hers we have.

The largest one we bought at the Des Moines Art Fair when it was at the State Fairgrounds. We almost didn't buy it because it was more than our entire art budget for a year. We told the artist what we could afford and he said no. We walked away and about 100 feet away he showed up and said he'd sell it. Bamboo on a white background. He studied in China.

I'd tell you the artist's name, but it's on back and the picture is large. I'm not taking it down.

I appreciate this thread because it's reminding me that we have to get more things framed. We have a set of line drawings of Des Moines landmarks that are gorgeous, some oriental art from my mother, and a newspaper article about my mother and gardening. She started a revolution in what plants were available in the 1970's Midwest by convincing Iowa growers to branch put from the "standards".

Old 10-29-2018, 11:30 PM

7,072 posts, read 2,899,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The eye-opener: The artist and her husband just donated $20 million to the not-for-profit medical group where I receive most of my care. The facility I use is about to be named after them. So much for starving artists!

Do you search for art that speaks to you?
Yes. The monetary value it has or might have in future doesn't mean a thing. Most of the art I have is modest, but if it speaks to me it will bring me joy forever. As for supporting a budding artist, I bought an unfinished wood carving of a chameleon from a 14 year old boy in Madagascar. I'd seen many folky carvings on the trip, but this particular one was unusual; very realistic. He had managed to catch every nuance. It was almost alive. I begged him to sell it to me, but he hadn't sold anything before and was a little intimidated. His dad interpreted and we agreed. Don't even remember what tiny sum it was, but every time I look at it it brings back the whole event in detail, especially the boy's shy excitement and pride. He just earned enough to buy a couple of textbooks needed for the next year of school.

Of course there is a huge amount of art I'll never be able to afford, but when something seems really important I try. What is the point of owning something that doesn't mean anything? Never understood the whole "art as investment", "decor" or "art to impress/brag about" thing.

One "original art" story that haunts me was about a stack of framed pictures found in the attic of a federal agency office building in DC or some such place. The building was to be torn down or gutted, can't recall. A couple of admin people assigned to clear out the attic found them. They had no clue or interest in what they were so they hauled them out to a dumpster. Another employee happened to spot them, flipped through them for something new to put in his office and realized with horror that they were ORIGINAL watercolors by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. In perfect condition. Can't even imagine what an original work by Fuertes might be worth today if you were lucky enough to locate one. They almost ended up pulped.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-30-2018 at 12:03 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 03:43 AM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
I have ( and used to buy/collect) classic Disney cels and Sericels, and pins.

Dopey is my favorite character.

My favorite cel is snow white and all seven dwarfs around the fireplace. Its Disney certified. And wasnt cheap.

I have about 9 cels. And dozens of pins.

The unfortunate thing is they may not be worth much unkess the millennials start getting nostalgic and start collecting things. They don't even know what a cel is.

My pin collection is growing but i prefer the older classic Disney movies to tge new computer generated ones. None had held my fascination like snow white.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:33 AM

5,939 posts, read 5,293,703 times
Sold most when I moved. Down to one drawing and one cel.

I do have a Marilyn and a soup can repro from the Warhol museum that decorate a bathroom but that isn't art, just decorations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or