U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 03:28 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,342,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The sad state of art begins in our schools. Art is typically given little or no attention or resources. What little that is taught is most often taught by teachers who know next to nothing about the visual arts or the language of visual communication. So when the average person talks about art, they typically can only explain that they like what they like. This would be like an illiterate person talking about books. Is it any wonder that art sales are very minimal?
I don't know. Back in the day my art classes in school were projects made with construction paper, paper mache, popsicle sticks and the like. I don't remember learning anything about great artists until a college course that I had where we had to go to a real museum and write about the things we saw there.

Where do we learn about anything? If we have an interest in something, we find a way to learn about it. Doesn't have to be in school.

I don't think art sales are minimal. But the high end art is not bought by the masses because most people cannot afford it. Nothing wrong with buying a print of a great master's painting. It's OK to like something but realize you don't have millions to spend on the real item. So you buy a print of it. Or you buy from local artists at craft fairs and such.

Personally, I think liking something because you just like it is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 03:31 PM

341 posts, read 140,634 times
I make art. My DH and I jockey for wall space lol. We enter local/regional art competitions and the strongest (ribbon winners) survive on the walls. Currently am working to finish 2 more large works for my January one-person show.

We both enjoy the visual lift from seeing our artwork in our home daily. Only one artwork is not ours, beautiful lithograph by Hans Erni, Swiss artist, purchased by his grandparents on honeymoon trip to NYC in 1930's. Valuation per auction (framed) is under $300 and it's really BIG (and beautiful). Not a good investment lol.

Buy art that makes you happy. Art should never be about "investment".
My suggestion is buy original art (oils, acrylic) because posters/reproductions fade and it's 2X expensive to frame reproductions (matting, mounting). Every locale has good artists undercharging for their original art.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:16 AM

444 posts, read 281,271 times
My thanks, twinkle, you just sent me on an hour odyssey through the internet reading about Hans Erni and looking at his art. It was an hour well spent!

Old 11-02-2018, 08:47 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,153,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
My thanks, twinkle, you just sent me on an hour odyssey through the internet reading about Hans Erni and looking at his art. It was an hour well spent!
Yes, browsing art work on the web can be very enjoyable. If you like Modern Art 20th Century, you can check out this facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1235080896502994/

Art has always been an integral part of our life just like nature (an amazing eve-changing canvas). Most of the art work in the house are created by family members and friends. We have a small collection of pueblo potteries (Acoma, Jemez, Santa Clara) and African masks (from various regions). Few weeks ago, we bought a large print of the incredible photo "The Chase" for my daughter while we were in Yellowstone celebrating her birthday. The photo impressed us so much after seeing all the animals in the park especially the pack of Lamar wolves.

http://www.yellowstonegallery.com/me...Wolves+and+Elk

Below is the dictionary's definition of arts:

Quote:
the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and emotional responses are of course personal and unique. We are all different in our tastes, cultural background and preferences. It is not surprising to see posts like these

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
No.
Most 'art' nowadays, especially the abstract, monkey-coulda-slapped-it-on variety, does nothing for me.
And I wouldn't hang an old master if you paid me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Some people would consider that (Thomas Kinkade -The End of the Perfect Day II) not art. But if you respond to it and love it, then that is all that matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I didn't know that Thomas Kinkade produced art
IMO, both modern/abstract arts and Thomas Kinkade's work are arts based on the dictionary definition especially the part which I highlighted.

I am quite amused in reading jrkliny's post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The sad state of art begins in our schools. Art is typically given little or no attention or resources. What little that is taught is most often taught by teachers who know next to nothing about the visual arts or the language of visual communication. So when the average person talks about art, they typically can only explain that they like what they like. This would be like an illiterate person talking about books. Is it any wonder that art sales are very minimal?
His post made me think of the cave arts (Lascaux, Font de Gaume, Cap Blanc, Rouffignac and Pech Merle) which we saw in France last year. The huge amount of work and effort involved in the creation of these incredible work of art clearly showed that many of these primitive people appreciated and supported art. I'm certain that there was no sophisticated art education 10,000-30,000 years ago! IMO, jrkliny could learn a think or two from Picasso

Underground Art

Quote:
The work of other artists didn't often reduce Pablo Picasso to a state of utter humility, but that's exactly what happened just after World War II, when he was mucking about in a cave in southwestern France. This wasn't just any cave, however -- its walls were festooned with striking pictures of horses and bulls that date from the Ice Age, all rendered with exquisite sophistication and symbolic force. Upon exiting the cave, an awed Picasso declared, "We have learned nothing in twelve thousand years."

Last edited by BellaDL; 11-02-2018 at 09:05 AM..

Old 11-03-2018, 01:44 PM

6,244 posts, read 4,725,740 times
Well I have a tough time paying much attention to Picasso's opinions. His art was exciting but otherwise he was a despicable individual.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:15 PM

5,423 posts, read 2,822,310 times
I occcasionally do, only because I like it, never as an investment or as charity

Old 11-03-2018, 02:24 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,446,805 times
This thread is embarrassing......very.

I cringe that anyone would think many posts in this thread are representative.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:47 PM

23,714 posts, read 8,243,442 times
After seeing the movie Pollock back in 2000 or so, I had a space in my living room that needed something and no way did I want to buy something.

So bought canvasses, paint, brushes and painted for 3 yrs, 03-06, they are all over my apt, in friend's homes and even in a doctor's office lobby.

I had fun and creative and never took a lesson. Now, I'm having fun giving pieces to people who comment on my work. I've given 3 off my walls to 2 delivery guys and a computer tech.

I went to some art shows and galleries and got some ideas from them. Love the Life of abstracts. And bright colors. I needed a hobby and those 3 yrs filled a big space.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:49 PM

23,714 posts, read 8,243,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
This thread is embarrassing......very.

I cringe that anyone would think many posts in this thread are representative.
Am I missing something here. I found nothing embarrassing, uymmmm

Old 11-03-2018, 05:07 PM

963 posts, read 1,523,535 times
My dad was an oil painter on the side. My grandmother and great-grandmother were painters too. Counting myself, I have three generations of family art hanging on the walls. I only had to pay for one of them (from eBay). I'm fortunate in that regard.

Dad didn't get into the stuffy critiques of art. He always told people to buy something that made them smile, or something they would enjoy looking at every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or