U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 05:31 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,312,212 times

Advertisements

I find this turn of pomposity from a few posters to be very disheartening. My degree is in art. I have worked as an illustrator and Art Director. I have sold in galleries. I have friends who are well known in the “art world”. They and I would never denigrate anyone for their knowledge or choice of art. I’ve had hours of art history, art theory and criticism of art. I very much understand the “when I see it, I know if I like it.” It is extremely valid. I have eclectic taste myself. There are many “important” pieces of art that I do not like.

Ignore those intellectual snobs comments. Buy anything you love. Get some art supplies and play. Splash scribble, Enjoy!!
Life is to be lived and Enjoyed.

One of the most successful artists, that I know personally, did not start painting until her only child, a Marine, was killed in the first Gulf War. She painted her grief. Now she makes a good living with her art and paints from joy. And no, she never had classes in art history, theory, design or criticism.

Funisart it should not be limited. Done with my rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 10:49 PM

1,626 posts, read 746,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I find this turn of pomposity from a few posters to be very disheartening. My degree is in art. I have worked as an illustrator and Art Director. I have sold in galleries. I have friends who are well known in the “art world”. They and I would never denigrate anyone for their knowledge or choice of art. I’ve had hours of art history, art theory and criticism of art. I very much understand the “when I see it, I know if I like it.” It is extremely valid. I have eclectic taste myself. There are many “important” pieces of art that I do not like.

Ignore those intellectual snobs comments. Buy anything you love. Get some art supplies and play. Splash scribble, Enjoy!!

One of the most successful artists, that I know personally, did not start painting until her only child, a Marine, was killed in the first Gulf War. She painted her grief. Now she makes a good living with her art and paints from joy. And no, she never had classes in art history, theory, design or criticism.

I cosign this fine post in its entirety.

Signed: =^..^=
BFA, retired art director/graphic designer, practicing mixed media artist.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:54 PM

6,755 posts, read 3,854,200 times
I'm a painter so I have my own and artist friends work hanging.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:18 AM

5,535 posts, read 5,900,677 times
Yeah, I support a local artist, or have at least until we knew we were going to move, and he's a really cool guy, his work is great, but it's also very affordable. Large painted canvas works, beautiful colors and paintings that just make you happy to look at, and we've paid between $200 and $400 for almost any of the pieces. We had one very large one commissioned for $1,200 that was special to where we lived at the time, but still it's amazing how his work is so affordable when you see some scribbles and just total garbage for sale for $20,000 or heck even $47 million lol.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:08 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have lots of art work on the walls and stored in the basement and garage. All but a very few were made by my wife or by me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The sad state of art begins in our schools. Art is typically given little or no attention or resources. What little that is taught is most often taught by teachers who know next to nothing about the visual arts or the language of visual communication. So when the average person talks about art, they typically can only explain that they like what they like. This would be like an illiterate person talking about books. Is it any wonder that art sales are very minimal?
And yet .. Only your own work is worthy? Perhaps you really are the same as most others on here.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:00 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,640,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post

Signed retired arts council board member/retired community arts advocate/activist/active mixed media artist

Old 11-04-2018, 08:13 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,640,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Now I’m really embarrassed I bought anything at all—especially something I liked (and could afford). I probably should refrain from buying any wine, too.

Then you would be precisely the kind of buyer I’d appreciate and value..

Old 11-04-2018, 08:55 AM

13,200 posts, read 6,308,074 times
I make art. It’s more memorable to me to paint something than buying something. I used to buy something for my wall decorations but not now. It’s an enjoying process, I wouldn’t want to outsource to anybody. The problem is I take too long to do a big painting. Too many failed to finish painting. DIY problem.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 11-04-2018 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 12:50 PM

6,223 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And yet .. Only your own work is worthy? Perhaps you really are the same as most others on here.
Of course not. It am just a dabbler trying to develop my artistic vision, style and goals.

What irks me is often stated phase "I don't know anything about art, but......." Which is the typically followed by some sort of nonsense. If you don't know anything about a subject it might make sense to spend a little time in learning and less time with uninformed opinions. That is true of most areas of knowledge not just art.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:51 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,428,989 times
Do Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Editions count?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or