U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:30 AM

823 posts, read 215,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I used to do that kind of stuff for people, I figured I was just being helpful and they would be helpful if I needed something. LOL.
I prefer to be selective in how I use my time . . . making meals, going to charity events, visiting a neighbor with cancer. I do these things without expectation of any reciprocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 08:41 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,527,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I used to do that kind of stuff for people, I figured I was just being helpful and they would be helpful if I needed something. LOL.
I'd like to find a neighbor who needed some help where they would reciprocate if I needed something. Especially rides from medical procedures or dropping and picking up my car from the shop. But all my neighbors are married and I don't like to ask them for favors. Guess I can use Uber for the car stuff if I can ever get that damn app to work. But some doctor offices don't allow you to call cabs for medical procedures and my PCP does not know of any medical services that provide this. Am due for a colonoscopy and I know eye treatments are in my future.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:51 AM

823 posts, read 215,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I'd like to find a neighbor who needed some help where they would reciprocate if I needed something. Especially rides from medical procedures or dropping and picking up my car from the shop. But all my neighbors are married and I don't like to ask them for favors. Guess I can use Uber for the car stuff if I can ever get that damn app to work. But some doctor offices don't allow you to call cabs for medical procedures and my PCP does not know of any medical services that provide this. Am due for a colonoscopy and I know eye treatments are in my future.
If you are a senior, some communities provide shuttles for such things.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:11 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,448,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
For example, late Saturday afternoon she received a call from her youngest brother asking if there were any Halloween activities that evening for his toddler daughter in the city where they live - TWO HOURS AWAY FROM US!
The appropriate answer would have been, "I give up. Are there?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I keep telling her to not answer her cell phone when they call, but with her mother having just turned 80 and in poor health there is an always present fear any call may be about her Mom's passing or another hospitalization.
It is A-OK to answer the phone, and in reply to a request or an inquiry, just respond "No." "No" is a complete sentence and it requires no explanation whatsoever. If, in response to a firm "No" a sibling asks "Why?" the correct answer is "Why do you ask 'Why'" ?

Old 11-06-2018, 09:12 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,448,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Move. Don't leave a forwarding address.
Happiness consists of a close knit family that lives in another state.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:07 PM

12,126 posts, read 6,700,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I prefer to be selective in how I use my time . . . making meals, going to charity events, visiting a neighbor with cancer. I do these things without expectation of any reciprocation.
Yes to the volunteer type stuff, but this is about relationships like family and close friends and the unfairness when one person is always the scapegoat or doormat.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:02 PM

15,793 posts, read 15,027,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLackland View Post
There was a certain girl who would call her brother-in-law to ask him questions about things. He would answer her questions and she would thank him and the phone call would end. This went on for some time (years). After weeks of not getting regular calls from the sister-in-law, the BIL commented to his wife on this, wondering why the change of events. His wife listened, and on her own, looked into it later. She found that her sister heard of her beloved BIL's complaints of always having to "hold his SIL's hand".
...maybe.....
That's very poignant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or