U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 12:51 PM

39,832 posts, read 3,014,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm wowed at the responses.

I live in a small city of about 65,000. We have a pretty good bus system. You can get around most parts of town during business hours and slightly later during the week. Routes are limited on Saturday, with the last bus departing at 4:45, and it's closed on Sundays and major holidays. It will get you to core parts of town and the essentials, but that's about it. There is a special service for those with wheelchairs for "curb-to-curb" service.

There is a paratransit for medical appointments for the truly rural, but has to be scheduled in advance.
It's not something you can just pick up and have them out there in twenty minutes.

In a truly rural area, you can't just get an Uber, or it will be very cost-prohibitive. My parents live in a 1970s subdivsion about eight miles from the city limits. A one way Uber to the nearest hospital - about a fifteen minute drive back into town - is $26.33 right now. The estimate to get there is about an hour. The cities here didn't get Uber until around a year ago.

I used to work in a town of 3,000 in the butt end of southwest Virginia. It's thirty miles from an interstate. An Uber from that town to the nearest hospital shows as $45 with "no cars available."

There is no grocery delivery anywhere around here. The regional chain grocer and Walmart offer grocery pick-up.

There's simply no way to live effectively here without driving or someone to haul you around.
I see no problem with having to schedule in advance, most medical or other appointments are booked well in advance. I had to depend on para-transit for several months, & it was a lifesaver, even though I had to book in advance, even for repeat weekly appointments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 02:09 PM

622 posts, read 253,515 times
I don't really have additional suggestions, but this is one of the reasons it is taking me forever and a day to decide where to move to in retirement! If the town doesn't have any grocery stores that deliver, it is off the list...no bus transportation? Off the list. No stores/downtown within walking/biking distance? Off the list. etc. etc. etc.....I would rather address these issues before they actually BECOME issues.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:17 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,459,869 times
OP, I see you live in or near Nescopeck, Pennsylvania.

I see two recent job openings for Shipt.com and for Instacart.com in Nescopeck, PA.

(maybe it's just a mass advertisement, but maybe these two grocery delivery services from local grocery stores are setting up services)

Both Shipt.com and Instacart.com offer grocery delivery from large grocery stores in one's local area of living like Target, Cub, HyVee, Kroger etc - whatever local grocery stores are in your area.

(Instacart.com offers grocery delivery from whatever large local grocery stores exist in each city or area)

Go to Shipt.com and Instacart.com and set up free accounts in each, and check to see if they service your area of Nescopeck, Pennsylvania.

I've used Instacart.com for about 2 years in my current area and it's great. In a past city I lived in, I also used Peapod.com (for Giant grocery stores) and Safeway.com in the past - all good for grocery delivery from local grocery stores. I also currently use two additional services in my current city - delivery from two very large grocery stores.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:37 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,459,869 times
OP, you may not be interested in church nor is this necessarily your denomination if you are interested, but the following church which is 2 minutes from your town of Nescopeck offers van transportation for people interested in attending their church services:

Ministries

Old 10-29-2018, 03:43 PM

1,926 posts, read 994,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I moved last year and am living VERY rural now. We are 7 miles from a town of 2300 with one small grocery store and one small market. If I get to the point driving is an issue for me, I will move. A small apartment or condo a short walk from a grocery store and a bus stop will be my destination.

Also living very rural. Luckily, there is a Dollar Store (like a small Walmart ) every 6 miles in this area. Also a slaughterhouse where I buy all my meat. I have signed up for the senior transport system.

When my vehicle had to be left at the shop over night, I asked the young woman at the counter if she knew anyone who might like to make a few bucks giving me a ride every now and then. She knew someone who lives on my road. Small town

I still drive short distances but when I need to stock up on groceries I enjoy doing my own shopping. I plan to give my neighbor/driver plenty of notice. The nearest decent grocery store is about 40 minutes away. I have a freezer. I shouldn't need to do a big shop more than 3-4 times a year.

I order most other things online. I don't need much anymore.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:50 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,523,628 times
Well, first off, thanks to all for responding, but as it turns out, this issue has been somewhat less of a problem than first anticipated; I wanted to get people thinking about and discussing this, and I seem to have done that,

As I said in Post#1, I have a couple of fine tenants/housemates, one of whom i've known for nearly thirty years, but nothing is permanent -- save change, So it's best to keep as many options as possible. We don't have Uber/Lyft (as yet), but there's a good-sized college nearby, so I expect something to develop in time.

The other challenge is finding something to fill the time, preferably for a paycheck, however small; But that's another story.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:53 PM

4,376 posts, read 3,714,793 times
Take a look at Amazon and the prime membership. You can probably get most of what you need there. Other stores such as Walmart, Target etc are also doing mail order. Drugs can also be mail order. You medical insurance may include a phone in service to talk to a nurse. This might help with minimizing doctor visits and getting drugs. I renew my drugs with an email to my doctor and he places the order with my mail order supplier. If you do not use the internet I think you will find this as your answer. If expense is a problem you might get free internet at places you can take your transit too.

You mentioned a large house. Look for a tenant and have the rent include shopping and house work. Maybe a new school teacher moving to the area work for a starter. Try you public school human resource dept and make the offer. A pastor at a local church may also know someone that might make a good tenant.

Currently we are using a diet meal system and get all meals delivered. There are also non diet meal preparation services.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:00 PM

16,375 posts, read 10,361,162 times
I live in a small town, mostly rural area and there's a public bus transportation system. Not sure of the cost but I know it's cheap.

It would take , or will take, some adjusting because of course it runs on a schedule. Not used to that.

But it even goes to the mall ( about 40 miles one way). And there is a taxi if desperation necessitates.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:06 PM

9,596 posts, read 10,946,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Probably due to a diminished sense of balance and coordination, due in turn to a spinal deformity, I knew that driving would pose more of a challenge for me in later life, and a couple of fender-benders last year proved the point (and drove my insurance costs way up there). So in about another two weeks, it will be a full year since I've operated a motor vehicle.

I live in a community with a stable population of 25000, if the surrounding townships are included. Until the late Sixties, we had four local bus routes, but the multi-car family and the desire to move out of, (or maybe just do less business) "downtown" put an end to that.

So how do I get around at an otherwise still-vigorous (and still-single) age 68? (and further subjected to the limitation that I can still walk, but not that far, for that long?) The answer is: Plan ahead, and plan carefully.

We do have a Senior Para-transit program here, and I can use that once or twice a week to get me into an 'anchor" like the Public Library and the YMCA. It isn't completely free, you have to book at least a day in advance, and not abuse or over-use the privilege. Occasional 40-mile round trips tom the regional medical hub are handled under another set of rules.

And this option doesn't go that far when the necessity to pick up a couple of bags full of groceries every week is factored in. Luckily, I bought a good-sized house from a relative's estate some years ago, and I choose my housemates/tenants very carefully. And I don't seek the highest amount of rent, but seek an understanding that I might need a ride once in a while.

But I suppose one of the most important factors here is that I saw a couple of older relatives confronted by this issue, and took Mr. Marcus Tulius Cicero's advice to "practice to be an old man early, if you want to stay an old man for long".

I'd like to hear if others among the regulars here have also found ways to cope.
You don't live in rural America; you live in a city. However, you need to figure out a way to start driving again; millions of people in worse shape than you do. Why do you have "housemates?" If your finances are that poor, you need a cheaper house and a job.

Don't you dare compare yourself to Cicero! He was active until the day of his assassination.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:10 PM

16,375 posts, read 10,361,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You don't live in rural America; you live in a city. However, you need to figure out a way to start driving again; millions of people in worse shape than you do. Why do you have "housemates?" If your finances are that poor, you need a cheaper house and a job.

Don't you dare compare yourself to Cicero! He was active until the day of his assassination.

He wasn't comparing himself to Cicero, he was citing him as an advisor.

But if he was making a comparison, would it really have been that offensive? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or