U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 05:20 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,345,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Take a look at Amazon and the prime membership. You can probably get most of what you need there. Other stores such as Walmart, Target etc are also doing mail order. Drugs can also be mail order. You medical insurance may include a phone in service to talk to a nurse. This might help with minimizing doctor visits and getting drugs. I renew my drugs with an email to my doctor and he places the order with my mail order supplier. If you do not use the internet I think you will find this as your answer. If expense is a problem you might get free internet at places you can take your transit too.

You mentioned a large house. Look for a tenant and have the rent include shopping and house work. Maybe a new school teacher moving to the area work for a starter. Try you public school human resource dept and make the offer. A pastor at a local church may also know someone that might make a good tenant.

Currently we are using a diet meal system and get all meals delivered. There are also non diet meal preparation services.
These are all good ideas for having things delivered to you. But I think it is equally important to be able to go out and about every day. If I had to stay at home constantly, I would go nuts. When it comes time for me to stop driving, I will have to move to a place where there is public transportation or stores and activities within walking distance. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 05:29 PM

4,821 posts, read 1,838,502 times
Have you ruled out selling your house and moving into town where you can walk everywhere?

Old 10-29-2018, 05:36 PM

11,985 posts, read 5,119,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Have you ruled out selling your house and moving into town where you can walk everywhere?
Walking everywhere is great and I highly recommend it. However, there will be times when walking isn't going to be very easy to do depending on weather and the climate you live in. Plus how far are you going to walk carrying 2-3 bags of groceries? It's all something to consider.
If you live in a climate where ice forms on the ground even a little bit for any length of time, you are taking a big chance.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:55 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,345,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Walking everywhere is great and I highly recommend it. However, there will be times when walking isn't going to be very easy to do depending on weather and the climate you live in. Plus how far are you going to walk carrying 2-3 bags of groceries? It's all something to consider.
If you live in a climate where ice forms on the ground even a little bit for any length of time, you are taking a big chance.
We will have to bring back those wire baskets with 2 wheels and a handle, also known as shopping carts. Unfortunately they won't help with the ice

Old 10-29-2018, 06:08 PM

11,985 posts, read 5,119,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
We will have to bring back those wire baskets with 2 wheels and a handle, also known as shopping carts. Unfortunately they won't help with the ice
Oh yes, it's been so long since I've seen one of those I forgot about them, LOL.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:02 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

Plus how far are you going to walk carrying 2-3 bags of groceries? It's all something to consider.
Quote:

We will have to bring back those wire baskets with 2 wheels and a handle, also known as shopping carts.
There's no 'bringing them back' - they never left!! If you look on the web and at many websites, there are TONS of wire carts for sale brand new at various stores, and they have been available to buy forever at hardware stores, etc.

I have one now which I have all kinds of uses for, and I've had it for many years. And when I was younger, I had one when I was moving around to eight different states, different cities and university towns.

I still use it very frequently - for laundry, around my dwelling, for moving anything bulky or heavy around, bags of soil, packages, previously for groceries - now I get all my groceries delivered.

I wouldn't want to be without a wire cart.

When I was younger and walking or using the bus for groceries, I had a very large spacious backpack and two nylon satchels (all for one trip) which I used for groceries and walking or busing home.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-29-2018 at 08:03 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 09:12 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
I most recently moved from a small town of around 5,000. No Uber, no home deliveries, no local in-town bus services. I could get bus service to go to another town, but we didn't have any in-town bus service. I can't ride a bike anymore. I had my own vehicle, but when my vehicle was out of service and I couldn't walk to where I needed to go in town, I called a cab. Even small towns have cabs. And it was cheap. That was just a couple years ago.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:14 AM

5,619 posts, read 8,551,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Probably due to a diminished sense of balance and coordination, due in turn to a spinal deformity, I knew that driving would pose more of a challenge for me in later life, and a couple of fender-benders last year proved the point (and drove my insurance costs way up there). So in about another two weeks, it will be a full year since I've operated a motor vehicle.

I live in a community with a stable population of 25000, if the surrounding townships are included. Until the late Sixties, we had four local bus routes, but the multi-car family and the desire to move out of, (or maybe just do less business) "downtown" put an end to that.

So how do I get around at an otherwise still-vigorous (and still-single) age 68? (and further subjected to the limitation that I can still walk, but not that far, for that long?) The answer is: Plan ahead, and plan carefully.

We do have a Senior Para-transit program here, .
You do not live rurally....

Old 10-30-2018, 04:36 AM

1,137 posts, read 569,984 times
We are shortly moving to a rural area, where the closest town is pop. 1365. It takes us three to five minutes to drive- on a deserted back-road, to the hardware store, bank, grocery store. Nobody on the road except me.
I would have to stop in the middle of the road, and pray for a drunk driver to pass by to have a fender bender.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:09 AM

4,872 posts, read 2,349,825 times
Quote:
These are all good ideas for having things delivered to you. But I think it is equally important to be able to go out and about every day. If I had to stay at home constantly, I would go nuts. When it comes time for me to stop driving, I will have to move to a place where there is public transportation or stores and activities within walking distance. YMMV.
Thanks for bringing up this point!

Many here despite the OP repeating it twice - aren't getting the gist of what the OP is saying. He's telling people to think ahead of what problems may arise as far as transportation if you live in a rural area.

Again - like ansible - I would like to get out every once in a while - I may be homebound only because of lack of transportation - not from a condition. I have an old TracFone only - so many of these apps I couldn't even use. Money may be another issue if these deliveries aren't free.

We currently live in a suburb of a big city - with plenty of options and for those in the senior Hud apts - there are vans that take them to the grocery store and schedule trips for a nominal fee. Our senior services in the area are great. But since we plan on moving down south - I've got to think and look into what's available for when we can no longer drive or get around - hopefully - that won't be for another 20+ yrs and I'm sure things will be different - but as the OP said - you have to think ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or