U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:28 AM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Thanks for bringing up this point!

Many here despite the OP repeating it twice - aren't getting the gist of what the OP is saying. He's telling people to think ahead of what problems may arise as far as transportation if you live in a rural area.

Again - like ansible - I would like to get out every once in a while - I may be homebound only because of lack of transportation - not from a condition. I have an old TracFone only - so many of these apps I couldn't even use. Money may be another issue if these deliveries aren't free.

We currently live in a suburb of a big city - with plenty of options and for those in the senior Hud apts - there are vans that take them to the grocery store and schedule trips for a nominal fee. Our senior services in the area are great. But since we plan on moving down south - I've got to think and look into what's available for when we can no longer drive or get around - hopefully - that won't be for another 20+ yrs and I'm sure things will be different - but as the OP said - you have to think ahead.
From my time on the Tennessee fora, a lot of people don't really think ahead.

You get posters from the dense coastal states looking for property in the country (and the impression I get from these posters is that many have never lived outside of a suburban area, at worst), with services, and they want it all dirt cheap. It doesn't work that way.

About five years ago, a pair of women from NYC and Boston contacted one of my local family members on Facebook. They were daughters of a great aunt of mine that left the area, told no one, and apparently started a new life up north. The one from NYC doesn't even know how to drive. She was shocked at how different things are down here.

Truly rural areas are facing a significant number of hospital closures now, and that's probably only going to get worse in the immediate future. That community hospital, which itself may be an hour away from a hospital really capable of treating anything, may not survive a few more years. Physicians don't get paid/reimbursed well in the areas. Small towns that used to have some level of health services very well may not now or in the near future.

That's just one of the many moving parts. I'm 32. By the time I hit retirement age, autonomous vehicles will be the standard and I won't have to worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 06:44 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,132,424 times
I'm in rural Floyd county with a population of just over 15,000. We do have several groups on Facebook and many folks participate in them. Perhaps your area has some too. It might be possible to find regular rides if you posted your need on such a group.

I just rented the upstairs of my home to a young couple since I had been living alone. So far driving during the daytime is no problem but my night vision is poor so I try not to be on the roads after dark. The 10 miles from town to my home is on one of the main roads of the county so that's not too bad.

I hope that you will soon find a good, workable solution for your situation that is free or very cheap.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:34 AM

2,384 posts, read 909,421 times
There are so many means of public transportation as well as Über or Lyft available.
So many in my area I wish would reconsider driving themselves as there are way too many horrible drivers on our roads these days.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:52 AM

5,416 posts, read 2,819,339 times
We have a public minivan service available at low cost to seniors who need certain kinds of errand or appointment runs. Other than that, there is a general longer-distance bigger bus that makes very limited runs between some points.

So, not much in the way of public transit. People must rely mainly on friends and family when they can’t use their own cars.

I have actually wondered if any people resort to riding their horses when they can’t drive. There are lots of horse properties around, and lots of dirt roads.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:38 AM

51,893 posts, read 41,774,553 times
The first thought that popped into my head was to network with friends and relatives.

Give them gas money, just like we used to do when we were 15 and wanted to go to the next town over to see a movie.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:05 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,028,262 times
And that's why we don't live in the boonies. We built what will be our last house with suburban retirement in mind.

Side note pet peeve: elderly friends and relatives who claim to live independently, but actually require enormous amounts of help from others to clean and maintain their homes and also travel for shopping, doctor appts, etc. No, you're not living independently. You're just not in a "home." Big difference.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:09 AM

605 posts, read 188,541 times
The Schwanns guy visits our tiny downtown once a week.He parks downtown where people are waiting for him. He will also drive to your house

Old 10-30-2018, 12:23 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,445,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

so many of these (transportation apps - Uber and Lyft) apps I couldn't even use.
Uber and Lyft can be used without a smart phone and without the Uber and Lyft app.

Uber can be used with a computer and/or an iPad.

Here is how it is done - it is done using Uber through the Uber website.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Old 10-30-2018, 01:26 PM

4,867 posts, read 2,347,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Uber and Lyft can be used without a smart phone and without the Uber and Lyft app.

Uber can be used with a computer and/or an iPad.

Here is how it is done - it is done using Uber through the Uber website.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Thanks for that info - because after we move - my parents will be in need of transportation as I'm sure my dad won't be able to drive in a few years.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:20 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,135,755 times
In such a small community a Gator all terrain but road adjusted may work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or