U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:28 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,509,293 times

Advertisements

I am happier now because I have more control of how I spend my time than in the days of having to work 4 to 5 days a week in order to survive. Dont get me wrong, I loved many of my jobs, but with half my income covered by SS. I now can pursue a variety of interests in addition to working 3 days a week self employed doing something I love.

I also like doing nothing and having those unstructured spontaneous days as well. TV, read, nap. Nothing wrong with any of that either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 05:50 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,656,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Another joke of an article written by some hack who must have identified with his work life more than his real life. I'm busier than ever and I've lost weight since I retired.

LOL I'm busier too, and (currently) losing weight.

I don't think the "busy" part will change because I really like my new activities, but I'll admit a lot of people have warned me that you can gain weight around here. My new town is very social, and people love to bake!

No problem, I just make a point of getting to the gym and eating carefully. So far I'm down about 15 pounds, but I know that can change if I quit my new habits. Fortunately I like going to the gym, and I like the discipline of having one consistent place I go every day, even though it's just for an hour or so. Around here, the rec center is a whole new social scene. It's almost like having a neighborhood bar, except that it's hopping in the early morning. Some just come to have a cup of coffee and see friends, others hit the gym; either way I guess you at least get a little exercise just walking in from the parking lot, LOL.

One great thing about retirement is I can spend an hour or two at the gym every day if I wish, and I can do all those things I never had time for before when I was worrying about getting to work on time. Swim, try out classes, sit in the sauna, challenge Earl (who seems to live at the rowing machines, always asking someone to "race" him). Whatever catches my attention. The gym is also where I catch up on news. Neighborhood news from the people at the coffee bar, and I watch tv news while doing the treadmill (usually about 30 minutes). Some days that's all the tv watching I get to.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 10-31-2018 at 06:11 AM..

Old 10-31-2018, 07:32 AM

5,784 posts, read 4,838,667 times
Maybe Bob Lowry needs to move to an active adult community. It would solve about 90% of these problems, like no one to hang out with, nothing to do, feeling bored,gaining weight, etc. He would have all kinds of interesting hobbies and activities as well as other retirees to play with everyday. Also most activities happen on a schedule so that would solve his no daily plan or schedule problem. I hear a lot of these sort of issues on some of our threads here in this forum. Personally I think having "nothing to do" sounds like a first world problem. You could have to work to 75 to pay the bills.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:59 AM

6,256 posts, read 4,734,369 times
Silly article and here's why. It doesn't fit those of us with passionate interests and activities, those of us with goals and not enough time to accomplish all of them. Nor does the article fit those without those factors. Those without have typically been that way their whole lives and retirement is no different.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:56 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times
No! Nope! Never!

I have been retired for more than 10 years now. I bought my freedom. I can now do whatever I please. I watch less TV and weigh less that when I was working and I am never bored. I always have a list of things I am working on!

Who is this guy? He should come here for help!

Old 10-31-2018, 02:35 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
I love being retired.

My work was horrible. I was deployed 7 months a year on average. Underwater with no method of communicating with family. It was very stressful.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:39 PM

9,759 posts, read 7,038,572 times
For me retirement is better than I ever could have imagined.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:37 AM

1,137 posts, read 570,383 times
Doesn't apply here, either.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:20 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,656,614 times
To be fair, if we had stayed in our old neighborhood we might have ended up feeling the way Lowry does. It was a great place to live during the career years, but probably would have been boring for retirement. And I was starting to get heavier during my last year there before retirement, so I could see that getting worse if we had stayed there. There was no fabulous rec center just down the road, and that's made all the difference.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:54 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,869,751 times
I'm still working and Number 1 seems that way right now!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement