U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2018, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Riding a rock floating through space
1,857 posts, read 550,801 times
Reputation: 4711

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Yes, my numbers are wrong. But a couple hundred thousand dollars a year for easy work ain't bad. Not much competition either.

People pay for convenience. I pay a mobile dog groomer about double the dog salon rate to groom my dogs. You need to think like a buyer not a diy'er.

Now go put your paper hat back on. Those burgers need flipping.
There seem to be quite a few companies offering this service - did you call around or just call one and let him hose you? https://www.google.com/search?q=san+...E,lf:1,lf_ui:2
And I realize you pay for convenience, my point about it being an easy diy job is that this job is far too easy for someone to make a consistant $100/hour. I will agree with you that it sounds like a fantastic part or full time gig, problem is I don't believe it's anywhere near as lucrative as you are led to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2018, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
7,693 posts, read 4,725,286 times
Reputation: 28196
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
There's a difference between staying busy in retirement and working/having a job. Personally, I look forward to giving up any sort of obligation to be somewhere or do something.
And that's your right. I don't like obligations, either.


Door number 3: Having a business in which you can work as much or as little as you like. Or don't work at all and still have money coming in. The only obligation I have is to answer email within 24 hours. That happens maybe once a month.

I haven't had a J.O.B. since 2001. Haven't had a boss or had to deal directly with customers since then, either. I had to invent my own "job" because I was tired of death threats (eBay), being screamed at on the phone and daily trips to the post office. This one works for me and suits my oddball talents. It wouldn't work for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 01:12 PM
 
Location: San Diego
3,403 posts, read 5,205,026 times
Reputation: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
There seem to be quite a few companies offering this service - did you call around or just call one and let him hose you? https://www.google.com/search?q=san+...E,lf:1,lf_ui:2
And I realize you pay for convenience, my point about it being an easy diy job is that this job is far too easy for someone to make a consistant $100/hour. I will agree with you that it sounds like a fantastic part or full time gig, problem is I don't believe it's anywhere near as lucrative as you are led to believe.
You found 6 competitors in a county of 3.5 million people. I see lots of opportunity especially since most people have no idea how to re-screen a window.

I don't get hosed. I didn't survive as a self-employed entrepreneur since 1989 getting hosed. However, I don't squash contractors on prices. Yes, I did find cheaper prices but there is a lot more to a good completed job than just price.

I have no plans to become a mobile re-screener. But I do like to show retired people there are a lot more ways to make extra money with minimal skills and investment than swinging a mop for minimum wage on the night shift.

Last edited by cruitr; 10-31-2018 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 01:43 PM
 
1,437 posts, read 725,248 times
Reputation: 3729
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Yes, my numbers are wrong. But a couple hundred thousand dollars a year for easy work ain't bad. Not much competition either.

People pay for convenience. I pay a mobile dog groomer about double the dog salon rate to groom my dogs. You need to think like a buyer not a diy'er.

Now go put your paper hat back on. Those burgers need flipping.
Keep dreaming....No way is someone going to make that much money doing screens. First of all, you make it sound like there's a big demand for it...there's not. Most people get A (meaning ONE) screen repaired if and when they need to (rip, tree branch, etc.) and don't have every screen on their home replaced. It's not a wear item like a roof, paint, etc. and doesn't have a service life.

I've been in my current home for over 25 years and the screens are just as good as when I bought the house. I've had a couple replaced due to a rip by a careless gutter guy and some from hurricane damage/branches. Other than that, all the rest (approx 20) are still the same.

I've never seen a "screen repair" man at any house in my area, nor have I seen people having such work done just because. There are many expenses with owning a home...having the screens replaced is very low on the list (if it's even on anyone's list).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Riding a rock floating through space
1,857 posts, read 550,801 times
Reputation: 4711
$45 per window for just a rescreen is an insane ripoff, especially as luckyram points out, most of them were probably still fine. If you feel good about the service that's great, but this picture you paint of this lucrative business idea is way off from reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 02:04 PM
 
Location: NC Piedmont
3,911 posts, read 2,881,871 times
Reputation: 6291
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
He didn't assemble window frames. He just re-screened existing frames.
My point was it isn't simple to rescreen them. I assembled screens because I wasn't good enough and fast enough to do the actual screening, which is what the job you are describing entails. Sorry I wasn't clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 02:05 PM
 
Location: San Diego
3,403 posts, read 5,205,026 times
Reputation: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
I've never seen a "screen repair" man at any house in my area, nor have I seen people having such work done just because. There are many expenses with owning a home...having the screens replaced is very low on the list (if it's even on anyone's list).
That's because you live in New Jersey. In cities like San Diego, the sun weakens our screens over a period of time.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any snow shovels in my 'hood. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 02:09 PM
 
Location: San Diego
3,403 posts, read 5,205,026 times
Reputation: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
$45 per window for just a rescreen is an insane ripoff, especially as luckyram points out, most of them were probably still fine. If you feel good about the service that's great, but this picture you paint of this lucrative business idea is way off from reality.
You must have used a Russian calculator to come up with $45 per screen.

How would luckyram know the quality of my screens? He lives in New Jersey.

Those burgers need flipping. Better get to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 02:19 PM
 
2,873 posts, read 5,033,897 times
Reputation: 6784
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Those burgers need flipping. Better get to it.
This is your second jerky comment so far in the thread. Why do you need to be such a jerk when people disagree with you? Pretty much everyone on the thread thinks the idea ain't what it's cracked up to be, but no need to put on your *** hat.

ETA: A quick google search of "San Diego window screen" yields, among others, a company called Best Mobile Window Screen Repair. Right on their front page is a coupon for 5 windows rescreened for $99.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 02:24 PM
 
Location: San Diego
3,403 posts, read 5,205,026 times
Reputation: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
This is your second jerky comment so far in the thread. Why do you need to be such a jerk when people disagree with you? Pretty much everyone on the thread thinks the idea ain't what it's cracked up to be, but no need to put on your *** hat.
Teaching you guys how to make decent money is a waste of my time.

When I get slammed, I slam back. Put me on 'ignore'.

Mods please close this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top