U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 02:42 PM

513 posts, read 356,871 times

Advertisements

I've got a 70 yo uncle that still does charter fishing trips.
He only does about 6 trips a week, always booked solid from June through August.
Typically 6 people per trip at 75 bucks each comes to about 32.4K for 3 months before expenses.

Not a ton of money but I admire him for making a few bucks off of his hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 03:33 PM

10,484 posts, read 5,944,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I could see doing that, but it does give you a lot more wear and tear on your car. I imagine you have to adjust your insurance too possibly, since you're carrying people for hire?? And you have to subtract your gas costs, and to be really accurate as to your profits you'd have to deduct something for additional oil changes and tire wear for the extra mileage you put on the car. But you might be able to claim depreciation on the car on your taxes.

It's actually not that bad. Obviously there's depreciation on your car but I have a 6 year old Civic with 140,000 miles so not much depreciation. Once you turn on the Uber App you are working and all miles driven are deductible. I also downloaded an app that records those miles but you can do it manually. At .54 a mile or whatever it is you end up with such a deduction you pay little in taxes. As for insurance I was shocked, it was no additional cost for my Erie policy, still trying to figure that out, but others are only around $15/month

Old 10-31-2018, 04:36 PM

1,437 posts, read 726,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Teaching you guys how to make decent money is a waste of my time.

And to think, those of us who went and with children who are going to go /went to college for a degree at hefty tuition costs could've saved a boatload of money and years of our lives by just becoming screen repairers!! I feel gypped I tell ya, GYPPED!! Why waste all that money on education, certification, etc. when they can start repairing screens and make $500K to $1 mil + a year!!??

For those of you who have high school teens who want to be doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc. hold up....meet with them and their guidance counselors and tell them NO to college or professional career aspirations - put them on the short career to riches & the life of a millionaire - Have them study & strive to be screen repairers!!

Old 10-31-2018, 05:03 PM

1,860 posts, read 553,106 times
"he rescreened my entire house (about 10 windows), 2 large patio door screens and 3 small bathroom screens. It took him 3 hours which included 1/2 hour for lunch. My bill? $450 (pre-negotiated in advance)."

Ok, I missed the 2 doors, but he still made over $100/hr for what is a really easy job.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:15 PM

5,973 posts, read 2,907,657 times
Online English tutor. There are websites (like italki) that match up tutors with folks who want to practice a certain language, you're by default worth gold if you speak English with an American accent. Some people are natural teachers and they'd enjoy the interaction, the extra pocket money, and the chance to teach and learn about people all over the world.

I know a guy who was doing this and had enough lessons with some of his regular students that he actually met them in person on trips to China and Colombia.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:30 AM

10,484 posts, read 5,944,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Online English tutor. There are websites (like italki) that match up tutors with folks who want to practice a certain language, you're by default worth gold if you speak English with an American accent. Some people are natural teachers and they'd enjoy the interaction, the extra pocket money, and the chance to teach and learn about people all over the world.

I know a guy who was doing this and had enough lessons with some of his regular students that he actually met them in person on trips to China and Colombia.

This is interesting, I assume you do not need to know any other languages. How does this work?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:53 AM

1,688 posts, read 580,080 times
Quote:
In cities like San Diego, the sun weakens our screens over a period of time.

Okay, that's an explanation then. I didn't realize that aluminum mesh could be weakened by UV light, since aluminum tends to be one of the toughest materials for standing up to weather. That said, aluminum is often clad in some way whereas mesh screens are not.

I found an interesting theory/ad from a window screen manufacturer that talks about screen warping as a problem. Never seen or heard of this myself but just throwing it out there:

https://atozscreens.com/window-screens-warp/

Old 11-01-2018, 08:00 AM

5,807 posts, read 4,854,199 times
Quote:
How did I get ripped off? I don't know how to do this work? Is he supposed to work for free?
I say you got ripped off because someone charged you about a hundred bucks an hour for labor to do something you could have easily done if you tried for just the very minimal cost of materials. Certainly this type of work isn't worth over $20 an hour. It's not exactly skilled labor. It's not hard at all.

So if you don't know how to do this work, how were you planning to do it and make $1000/day?

I guess you can learn to do it by trying. That's how I did it. You can watch a U-tube video on how it's done, and your first or second attempt at a screen will probably be successful. I learned to do it without a video in about 30 minutes, and I'm not particularly handy.

Last edited by TheShadow; 11-01-2018 at 08:09 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 10:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,658 posts, read 40,029,981 times
I have rescreened a lot of windows (8 last week),

I don't find it ez to do or fast. (I have a lot to learn)

70 yrs old and doing it? Challenging (vertigo) ? Dragging around and setting up LONG ladders...
Tho most residential screens can be removed from the inside of home.

But, there are potential opportunities. Do an analysis, is it fits... Go for it!

Beats playing golf or walking the dog (for a 'different' breed c-d 'retirement' poster)

Retire early, retire often!
enjoy the journey

Old 11-01-2018, 11:53 AM

3,423 posts, read 877,721 times
Quote:
I'm always looking for an EZ retirement job. Minimal skill. Minimal investment. Work as many days as I want. Something where I can work outside (I live in San Diego) and make about $1000 a day. Well I think I found such a job today.

I had my home windows rescreened this morning. Our sun beats the hell out of window screens and after a few years they need to be replaced.

So I hired a very reputable window re-screener. Joe (not his real name) is 72 years old and works out of his truck. Totally self-contained. No helpers or assistants. Everything he needed was in that truck.

He rescreened my entire house (about 10 windows), 2 large patio door screens and 3 small bathroom screens. It took him 3 hours which included 1/2 hour for lunch. My bill? $450 (pre-negotiated in advance).

So I asked Joe "How many jobs do you do in a day?" Usually about 3 jobs. My wife sets my schedule and I usually make it home in time for dinner.

$450 per home X 3 homes = $1,350. Being a little more bold, I asked Joe how much screening material he used on my house. He got out his smartphone, pressed a few buttons, and said "about $100". I must have looked stunned because Joe said "a good window re-screener can gross about $1.25M a year."

When Joe left, I did a little research on "window rescreening in retirement." There are a few articles floating around the Internet but this is a pretty good one:
https://www.fixingscreens.com/best-s...-to-start.html

I'm going to talk with the young guy who cleans our windows. I need to know his opinion.

Anybody know of any other EZ $1M a year retirement jobs?
It is SO REFRESHING to hear about someone interested in making a good living in retirement, and not work a job that pays $10/hour at Lowe's or Walmart.

My logic is that if you're retiring and feel the need to work a part time job for income, why not delay retirement? Or if you're being forcibly retired, find something in the same field that pays comparably? Go big or "stay" home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement